IGNORED

Where Is Your Game Right Now?

RandallT
Note: This thread is 2605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Which category describes your game at the moment?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which category describes your game at the moment?

• Just starting out. Golf is new to me, and I'm devouring it all, trying to make sense of the information, and I'm sure progress will come.
    • Plateau. I've been playing a while, but can't seem to make any progress- oh well, I guess this is it.
    • Arrived and pleased. I've been playing a while, and I can get around a course. My game travels, and I can probably maintain it here if I just play regularly.
    • On the cusp. I feel like breakthroughs are right around the corner. This time, my handicap will dip by a few strokes- I can feel it!
    • Backsliding. I hate golf. How much can I get for my set, I wonder.
    • Dormant. I'll pick back up another time and see where I am and make decisions about how hard I need to work from there.
    • Other? Explain.

I know it's winter, so there may be a lot of "dormant" choices. But I'm curious to know where everyone feels about their game. Are we generally an optimistic lot? I'd think that those who are backsliding might self-select out of joining golf forums, so we will likely see people who are on the upswing, or are content with their play.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted Backsliding, I'm selling all ten sets of my clubs.....  :~(

Nice poll choices @RandallT

Actually since it's still February and happy to be out playing even through winter golf is tough.
Too many layers and I do not like wearing jackets or any long sleeve outerwear.

The only real dislike is developing poor swing habits due to golf attire restrictions and playing in the cool temps.
I seldom make full swings to prevent injury.

But, it keeps the short game sharp adjusting to various course conditions.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

On the cusp - just had a lesson, major improvements and when it works it works. Have not had time to practice to fully implement the change (dissertation due in 8 days) but my good shots are much better than they were. Just need to get the bad shots less bad.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

I voted on the cusp. There is a lot good with my swing, and cleaning up the swing path will help that out a ton. Add in that my short game causes me to lose near 3 strokes per round means my handicap still has a good bit to drop. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'm about where I'm gonna be.  58 years old, hang between 5 and 7 hcp, and just not likely to get much better.

My one real goal is to break par.  One of these days...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I voted Other.  I can put together a decent game; but I am always trying to improve.  I am optimistic.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Vote other, off the tee and close around greens I on my game, but some approach shots with my irons from around the 150 to 110 out just pulling left, just something crept into my game last month odd. Very disappointing when put drive in middle fairway and you approach shot finishes in a bunker or in the poo some where.

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

I'm on the cusp.   I'm hitting the ball better than ever, but my scoring hasn't improved, because I've neglected my short game. 

I had the best ball striking round of my life the last time I played, but the course I was playing has greens that are tilted towards the fairway, and since I was hitting the ball so well, I was going long and leaving myself with either a chip shot or a putt to a severe downhill slope.  So it was really hard getting up and down.  I might need to re-calibrate my distances, because it seems like all my approach shots were going long. 

I feel like as long as my lower back holds up, I'll finally break 80 this year.   That's the only thing that could stop me- lower back pain. 

On the cusp, started tranning a week ago and i´m already seen the results. Changing my swing for a more consistent one to lower my index even more. 

@RandallT thinking about selection bias in the forum - my guess would be most likely more people 'on the cusp' or improving because they're in the forum generally because they care about their golf and want to improve.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

Just now, alleztom said:

@RandallT thinking about selection bias in the forum - my guess would be most likely more people 'on the cusp' or improving because they're in the forum generally because they care about their golf and want to improve.

Seems the way it's working out- funny because I was just thinking something similar about self-selection as I see the tallies racking up. Well except for @Club Rat! Lol.

I'm definitely a cusper! I can just feel the progress coming, and it'll be a good spring (famous last words) :-D

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

My game is where I think it should be. It's consistent, and as long as I don't suffer any health set backs, will  improve with more play and practice. I'm looking to shave a stroke or two off my average score this year. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'm went with other, because though I'm dormant I already have an idea of where I am and how hard I need to work based on where I ended last year. Being dormant also means there is most likely a bit of backsliding there too, so I know I'll be going back a bit on what I was doing towards the end. Strangely, I wasn't even tempted to select "on the cusp" but I was eyeing the "plateau" because I have been working on basically the same thing for a long time. That said, I know I'm not at my potential because a trusted instructor has told me there's no reason I can't be a single digit index if I can keep focused.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Thinking a bit about it, aren't we all kind of on the cusp?

Not many people are "satisfied" with their games. I know a lot of people who pretty much hit their best shots, scored pretty well and yet still feel like it's not as good as they can play. For instance, yesterday one of my partners hits his longest and highest drive, and yet when someone exclaimed that was your drive of the day, he replied "Not yet". Not quite as good as he wanted.

I'm beginning to feel like golf is a sport of "on the cusp". You never really arrive because as you get better you want to get better. The wide range of handicaps that answered on the cusp so far kind of supports this. That and the fact that there are already 13 votes for it out of 20 so far. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I chose the on the cusp option, however I feel that I have already made a few breakthroughs, now it's just a matter of making the swing changes muscle memory and figuring out the distances on my new iron set (Nike vrs covert 4-PW)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

40 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Thinking a bit about it, aren't we all kind of on the cusp?

Not many people are "satisfied" with their games. I know a lot of people who pretty much hit their best shots, scored pretty well and yet still feel like it's not as good as they can play. For instance, yesterday one of my partners hits his longest and highest drive, and yet when someone exclaimed that was your drive of the day, he replied "Not yet". Not quite as good as he wanted.

I'm beginning to feel like golf is a sport of "on the cusp". You never really arrive because as you get better you want to get better. The wide range of handicaps that answered on the cusp so far kind of supports this. That and the fact that there are already 13 votes for it out of 20 so far. :-D

Yup.  Everyone always thinks they're 3 swings away from greatness.  ;-)

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!