IGNORED

2017 Newport Cup Applications Accepted Here!

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, bmartin461 said:

And the cup will happen 2 years before the rule changes will!Β 

Closer to one year. October 19-21, 2017 through January 1, 2019.

1 minute ago, bmartin461 said:

East Coast has not chance really;Β we have the weather, the PwC executives who tweet rather than doing their ONE job, $1 more per gallon of gas, and the new Apple headquarters!

The weather? It's in October, we'll be playing all summer, and the temps may be cool. PlusΒ @PretzelΒ is in Colorado. @phillykΒ hasn't played a ton where he is, IIRC. Etc.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

Closer to one year. October 19-21, 2017 through January 1, 2019.

The weather? It's in October, we'll be playing all summer, and the temps may be cool. PlusΒ @PretzelΒ is in Colorado. @phillykΒ hasn't played a ton where he is, IIRC. Etc.

The high today will be 71 here, how about for you? Β 

Colorado has 300+ days of sun, so I'm not worried about my boy @PretzelΒ and @phillykΒ is hovering between a .3 and a .5 HC so can't think he will suffer for a lack of playing time.

Maybe some of your East Coast candidates can vlog themselves building a snowman?

I hope you know I'm joking here, but I'm not joking about supporting @mvmacΒ and his posse of misfit toys.

Maybe we need a Newport Cup supporter badge?Β ;-)

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, bmartin461 said:

The high today will be 71 here, how about for you?

62Β°. Your point? :-)

Colorado has 300+ days of sun, so I'm not worried about my boy @PretzelΒ and @phillykΒ is hovering between a .3 and a .5 HC so can't think he will suffer for a lack of playing time.

Nor will anyone on the east coast…

Maybe some of your East Coast candidates can vlog themselves building a snowman?;-)

You don't seem to appreciate that last week we had a 75Β° day here in Erie, while @kpaulhusΒ had 43Β° much further south (and west)… :-)

I hope you know I'm joking here, but I'm not joking about supporting @mvmacΒ and his posse of misfit toys.

I know. I just find banter better when it's based on reality. ;-)

We had them last time.

Closer to the matches, though…

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, bmartin461 said:

Can we find a jock strap image?Β :doh:

And about the weather, sometimes it rains in NC in October. Β I'm guessing that for some of those fellas from sunny southern CA, playing golf in the rain will be a rather foreign experience.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

You don't seem to appreciate that last week we had a 75Β° day here in Erie

Β 

I chuckle when people mention their "day" of good weather...

Let's compare 10 day forecasts:

PA_Weather.thumb.PNG.a43e808db0520a544a3cc460dc644c79.PNGCA_Weather.thumb.PNG.e27148696f00c594a04a1416dbe01931.PNG

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, bmartin461 said:

Okay, but now you're just kind of being a dick…? :-PΒ I played six times last week, all in short sleeved shirts.

Cool. You live in southern California.

The fact remains that by October everyone will have had a good six months to have played golf. Never mind that I'm not playing, but I can pick people who are playing in warm weather right now, while Mike might also pick people who have two feet of snow right now. This isn't "Southern California vs. Erie, PA".

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Okay, but now you're just kind of being a dick…? :-PΒ I played six times last week, all in short sleeved shirts.

Cool. You live in southern California.

And of all winters, this is not the one to be taunting people over. Β I have been able to play 3 times in 2017. Β One was cart path only after tons of rain, one was a complete miracle that we didn't get rained on (1/20 with @DaveP043Β and @mvmac) as it rained everywhere the entire rest of the day, and once more since. Β And practice? Β Forget about practice. Β One of the ranges near me has been closed for about 2 months now because of the rain and each time I've planned on going during lunch, it's rained again.

Hopefully today will be different. ;)

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, bmartin461 said:

Let's compare 10 day forecasts:

Nobody is going to think you are cool for this post.

• Upvote 2

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

Okay, but now you're just kind of being a dick…? :-P

I got your points, and I agree, both sides will have adequate time to prepare and this is not SoCal vs. Erie, etc.

Looking forward to the next picks.

Right the weather for most of CA has sucked for golf the past couple months and @PretzelΒ is buried under snow. Heck @kpaulhusΒ who was on the West Coast team last time, and is in Arkansas, has played more golf than any of us.

Β Speaking of weather, early forecast for Pinehurst in OctoberΒ :-D

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/pinehurst-nc/28374/october-weather/339840

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

It's been sunny all but one day of the last week in my area of Colorado (only last Thursday was cloudy). This supports the 300+ days of sub. Today, however, is the first day that a golf course has opened for play in the last week. There has also only been one day over 40 degrees since last Thursday.

I just felt it might be prudent to point out that sunny days =/= days of golf. That said, I would day I'm better off than most of the west coast since I'm used to playing in cooler weather than many people from California or other warm states. East coast golfers will also be used to the cooler conditions.

13 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Speaking of weather, early forecast for Pinehurst in OctoberΒ :-D

Wow, that's warm! Β If I go I'll need a lot of water. Β ;-)

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Right the weather for most of CA has sucked for golf the past couple months and @PretzelΒ is buried under snow. Heck @kpaulhusΒ who was on the West Coast team last time, and is in Arkansas, has played more golf than any of us.

Β Speaking of weather, early forecast for Pinehurst in OctoberΒ :-D

Just to throwΒ it out there...through Feb 28th I've played 16 rounds in 2017. Its 55* and sunny the next 4 days. Will probably add 3 more rounds to that total.Β 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check outΒ Evolvr

:callaway:Β Rogue ST 10.5* |Β :callaway:Β Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade:Β P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist:Β 716Β AP2Β | Β :edel:Β Wedges 50/54/68 |Β :edel:Β Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67Β (18 holes),Β 32Β (9 holes)

I retract my previous statement, the golf courses are not, unfortunately, open today in my area and the course I work at isn't planning to open until at least the weekend despite the rest of the week being sunny. That would bring the count of sunny yet unplayable days up to a full 8 days (Friday-Friday).

That being said, I'll take what support I can get (assuming I am chosen at a later date for the team). With my current 4 rounds of 2017, it's looking like I may need it.Β 

4 hours ago, Pretzel said:

It's been sunny all but one day of the last week in my area of Colorado (only last Thursday was cloudy). This supports the 300+ days of sub. Today, however, is the first day that a golf course has opened for play in the last week. There has also only been one day over 40 degrees since last Thursday.

I just felt it might be prudent to point out that sunny days =/= days of golf. That said, I would day I'm better off than most of the west coast since I'm used to playing in cooler weather than many people from California or other warm states. East coast golfers will also be used to the cooler conditions.

Where the hell in Colorado are you? The courses have been open nearly the entire month of February here. I haven't been out to play much, but I've gotten a good amount of range time. Even courses that are very conservative about opening are open right now.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

• Administrator

Not really the topic here guys.

Not really the topic where I moved them to, but I'd like the "selection" thread to be a bit more focused on the selections, not poor attempts at smack talk.

18 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Where the hell in Colorado are you? The courses have been open nearly the entire month of February here. I haven't been out to play much, but I've gotten a good amount of range time. Even courses that are very conservative about opening are open right now.

Boulder/Longmont area. I went to close the course I work at today and just sat there posting and reading the rules updates until it was time to lock up because there was snow all over the course still (lots of trees).

The courses have been open most of Jan and Feb, it was just the storm last Thursday and the brief flurry yesterday that has closed them recently. I just haven't played since the video application bit was posted, hence the reason I haven't applied yet.

Sorry @iacas, I'll stay away from moreΒ :offtopic:

Note:Β This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!