IGNORED

My favorite quote of all time

parman
Note: This thread is 2624 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This can easily be valid for golf. 

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Unfortunately, I can't add to this thread.  Because you already used mine!

:beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, parman said:

This can easily be valid for golf. 

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Reading that makes me immediately think of Brandel Chamblee....and how his opinion doesn't matter

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
On 2/10/2017 at 9:38 PM, parman said:

I didn't know what to think of him at first but he does have some good points and practices what he preaches. 

Who? Teddy Roosevelt? :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

"It is not enough to say you are doing your best...you must succeed in doing what is necessary."                    Winston Churchill

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Churchill had some great quotes. 

Chamblee's thoughts on letting your left foot come off the ground which gives a single plane swing is one idea I like.  But I'll stick to the OP. 

"When people say to me how do you get through life or each day, it’s the same thing. To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number three is you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think and you cry, that’s a full day. That’s a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you’re going to have something special."

-Jim Valvano

By Isaac Asimov

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

I have long been a fan of "Life is not fair.  That doesn't mean you can't win."

I see it mis-attributed quite a bit;  the first hit on Google when I tried a moment ago is probably wrong.  

And it's certainly valid in golf. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

* You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
* You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. * You cannot help little men by tearing down big men. * You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. * You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. * You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money. * You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. * You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn. * You cannot build character and courage by destroying men’s initiative and independence. * You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.

Boetcker

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Perhaps a strange choice for an Englishman (I was interested to see Churchill creeping into this thread so soon), but then I did spend several years in Georgia teaching at a university, and was bemused at the level of antipathy still felt towards the man who had "made Georgia howl," 150 years after the event. Knowing very little about him, I began reading, simply as a matter of academic curiosity. An intriguing man. In essence, a WWII general fighting a war in the mid-1860s.

In these times, when some politicians are so quick to rattle sabres, I think they would do well to read the quotes about war from the man some of my students in Georgia glibly and unthinkingly denigrated as a "war criminal."

"It is only those who have never heard a shot, never heard the shriek and groans of the wounded and lacerated, that cry aloud for more blood, more vengeance, more desolation." William Tecumseh Sherman.

I, myself, am very grateful to have never heard or seen such things. I'll take it from someone who had, that such things are best left unseen and unheard.

Edited by ScouseJohnny

5 hours ago, parman said:

Churchill had some great quotes. 

True.  And as long as my favorite quote was mentioned by the OP, I'll go with an old favorite of Sir Winston's...

I may be drunk, Miss, but you are ugly.  In the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly.

- Winston Churchill

:-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Churchill, Eisenhower, all were great men. WWII took 4 years to win. We have been fighting someone for 16+ years. As a 100% disabled Veteran of the Vietnam War I take all this very seriously. We need to bring all our troops home. I have done a lot for my brothers and sisters who are not as lucky as I am. But that's all another story and I prefer to discuss golf at this time. Everyone has their bag 'o rocks to carry with them in this life. Cheers to all. 

6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

True.  And as long as my favorite quote was mentioned by the OP, I'll go with an old favorite of Sir Winston's...

I may be drunk, Miss, but you are ugly.  In the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly.

- Winston Churchill

:-)

Good one make me laugh.

6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented. ~Arnold Palmer

- Shane

2 hours ago, 14ledo81 said:

* You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
* You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. * You cannot help little men by tearing down big men. * You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. * You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. * You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money. * You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. * You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn. * You cannot build character and courage by destroying men’s initiative and independence. * You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.

Boetcker

Love it

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 2624 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!