IGNORED

Tiger Backs Nike's Social Commentary/Ads

iacas
Note: This thread is 2626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Tiger still might become very successful in business ventures has his career winds down. 

I disagree. There many athletes who are not financially smart, or book smart. I don't think you can correlate athletes = business successful. Look at the NFL, a lot of players burn through that money they get. 

Don't get why you disagree with him. He said "many," not "most" or "all." There are a ton of athletes, and MANY of them are able to become successful businessmen, while at the same time, MANY of them are dumb as rocks.  Both of you guys are right because the ideas are not mutually exclusive.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I disagree. There many athletes who are not financially smart, or book smart. I don't think you can correlate athletes = business successful. Look at the NFL, a lot of players burn through that money they get. 

While many burn through money, I believe many have successful careers after their pro sports days are over. I don't know that you hear as much of the success stories. 

Also, isn't there a difference between a 22 year old who obtained an obscene amount of money over night with little to no guidance or training towards investments, and one who finished college, worked his or her way up through the ranks of a profession realizing the entire way how difficult the journey was? 

My point was that if a sports career was not an option, the drive and desire normally geared towards sports could be applied towards the right career.

I see @Golfingdad just beat me to it.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Right. That's why the smartest of them realize it's not their forté, and hire a business manager to do most of that stuff.

The lucky ones receive proper guidance by someone who actually cares for their future. The smart ones listen to the advice. They understand that a pro contract is not the same thing as a money tree and that there's a good chance their playing days may last just a couple years. If they hire a business manager, they learn and make proper decisions.

The unlucky ones lose their asses because of poor or dishonest business managers, or because they've surrounded themselves by those only interested in taking.

In my opinion, if Nike really cared, the message wouldn't be about sports - just the opposite (I get it, they're a sports business). It would be that given a chance, people of color can succeed in this country outside of sports. But it takes better guidance at home, and equal opportunity away from home.

Instead of Tiger and Labron, maybe they should portray these superstars as role models.

Jon

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

In my opinion, if Nike really cared, the message wouldn't be about sports - just the opposite (I get it, they're a sports business). It would be that given a chance, people of color can succeed in this country outside of sports. But it takes better guidance at home, and equal opportunity away from home.

Yeah, like you said, they're a sports company, not a social advocacy company.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

In my opinion, if Nike really cared, the message wouldn't be about sports - just the opposite (I get it, they're a sports business). It would be that given a chance, people of color can succeed in this country outside of sports.

Isn't that, like, EXACTLY, what they were saying?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Right. That's why the smartest of them realize it's not their forté, and hire a business manager to do most of that stuff.

I would add, "the right" business manager. There was a 60 minutes recently about some Pro athlete's who lost a lot of money with a bad BM.

Tiger has seemed to stay in the right lane business wise. Nike also knows their customers from an apparel standpoint (not so much in golf equipment).

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Bad BMs really stink.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

16 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Isn't that, like, EXACTLY, what they were saying?

Lol. Yeah, not sure where I was going with that post... come crazy tangent. Can I just blame it on sleep deprivation?

I guess I'd like to see professional sports left out of the discussion. When a 16 year old high school junior asks the TST if he/she has a chance at becoming a pro golfer, what's a common suggestion? Instead of putting all that time and effort into hopes of a golf career, maybe devote some of it instead towards education (or something along those lines).

Jon

Note: This thread is 2626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!