Jump to content
IGNORED

How to Perform a Golf Swing Like a PGA Tour Golfer


Note: This thread is 1623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow.  On purpose, or did you lose a bet?!  

In video 2,  what are your thoughts on the 2 lasers on a pole he has made?  It seems its a very good way to determine if you are on plane (which I am now).      BWT,  tonight is my first gol

Seeing a video helped me to see what I was doing wrong.  Started swinging a club with a sock under my right arm.  Wasn't that hard.  I'm a visual person,  I had to see it on video to understand it. 

Posted Images

  • Administrator
21 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

Probably not,  but step 1 was getting my swing on plane and losing the over the top swing.  I think I have corrected that.  

In a few days?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

In a few days?

Seeing a video helped me to see what I was doing wrong.  Started swinging a club with a sock under my right arm.  Wasn't that hard.  I'm a visual person,  I had to see it on video to understand it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2017 at 5:19 PM, DownAndOut said:

I'm not interested in him as a golf instructor but I do like listening/reading different opinions on golf mechanics/biomechanics.

You've now got me wondering what he was getting wrong? Is it because he is still quoting TGM stuff that may be outdated and superceded by newer analyses/data?

PS. I think he got into trouble for rubbishing Lynn Blakes 'Secret of Golf'  and that wet mop idea. Lynn Blake said you had to feel some PP3  pressure point throughout the swing but Mann said that was incorrect because of the forward flex of the clubshaft (if you looked at images of the club bend using a high speed camera).

This is the "rolling shutter" effect.  The club does not actually flex forward like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
23 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

This is the "rolling shutter" effect.  The club does not actually flex forward like that.

That depends. The shaft is usually slightly forward flexed just before impact. And drooping.

Forward and downward deflection. Small.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/12/2017 at 5:36 PM, David in FL said:

Wow.  On purpose, or did you lose a bet?!  :-D

The audio was terrible, the lighting was dim and everything was greenish, the main instructor said 5 sentences without making a point, the video was like something from an old VHS . I couldn't even get through 2 minutes. I prefer the light fast talking British on line instructors.

 

On 2/12/2017 at 5:06 PM, DownAndOut said:

I saw them all TWICE !!!! 

Wow, can you also wait for people to play 8 hour rounds?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/16/2017 at 3:24 PM, Lihu said:

The audio was terrible, the lighting was dim and everything was greenish, the main instructor said 5 sentences without making a point, the video was like something from an old VHS . I couldn't even get through 2 minutes. I prefer the light fast talking British on line instructors.

 

Wow, can you also wait for people to play 8 hour rounds?

It was a real real strain to keep my concentration and I suspect I will forget a lot of it within 1 week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DownAndOut said:

It was a real real strain to keep my concentration and I suspect I will forget a lot of it within 1 week.

I just couldn't sit through it mainly because I couldn't really understand what he was saying. Probably just a language issue on my part, as English was not my first language. The fast talking British on line instructors are much more understandable to me, and I get what they're saying much better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/16/2017 at 8:36 AM, iacas said:

In a few days?

Its amazing what one flaw can do to a swing.  Had the video analysis on Tuesday and have been practicing the non over the top swing since then with a few drills.  Went to my first actual lesson last night,  and he said its way better already.  Gave me a couple more drills to work on.  Decided to test it out today at lunch time at the range.  Wow,  Ive never been more excited to play again.  Was hitting it straight and long.  My over the top swing seems already corrected.  

The few things he had me work on:

1) my take a way was too flat.  (Have a couple easy drills for that) 

2) a little more knee bend 

3) point feet out a little 

4) a little straighter back 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by PingLuvR
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Lihu said:

I just couldn't sit through it mainly because I couldn't really understand what he was saying. Probably just a language issue on my part, as English was not my first language. The fast talking British on line instructors are much more understandable to me, and I get what they're saying much better.

Unfortunately , you have to get acquainted with a lot of 'golfing/anatomical/physics' terms otherwise it will be difficult to understand what he's saying.

Examples:  p positions, flying wedges, hinge, cocking, dorsiflexion, flexion, adduction, abduction, palmer flexion, neutral grip , power accumulators, pronation, supination, circumduction (I think!). Various muscles and bones in the shoulders , pelvis and legs, centrifugal force (although that is a fictitious force), double-pendulum effects (ie. law of the flail) , anatomical flat left wrist, geometrical flat left wrist, base plane line, elbow plane, hand plane, turned shoulder plane, reactive pivots vs active pivots , sweep/early/random/late release , impact zone, drive hold, parametric acceleration, horizontal/diagonal/vertical hinging  etc,etc,etc.

Edited by DownAndOut
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Administrator
4 hours ago, DownAndOut said:

Examples:  p positions, flying wedges, hinge, cocking, dorsiflexion, flexion, adduction, abduction, palmer flexion, neutral grip , power accumulators, pronation, supination, circumduction (I think!). Various muscles and bones in the shoulders , pelvis and legs, centrifugal force (although that is a fictitious force), double-pendulum effects (ie. law of the flail) , anatomical flat left wrist, geometrical flat left wrist, base plane line, elbow plane, hand plane, turned shoulder plane, reactive pivots vs active pivots , sweep/early/random/late release , impact zone, drive hold, parametric acceleration, horizontal/diagonal/vertical hinging  etc,etc,etc.

Jeff would do well to familiarize himself with the definitions of some of those words, too.

Hee hee hee.


And yeah, for most people, I won't blindly make fun of them without seeing specifically what I'm talking about. Jeff is "special." :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/16/2017 at 6:34 AM, nevets88 said:

The scary thing, looking at the channel, is it has garnered over a million views.

Where do you see that? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing but I see video # 1 of 7 

1,435 views

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
13 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Where do you see that? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing but I see video # 1 of 7 

1,435 views

1.2m views for the channel over 10 years, that's not as much as it sounds now, but something.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ImperfectGolfer/about

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 12.24.40 PM.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, DownAndOut said:

Unfortunately , you have to get acquainted with a lot of 'golfing/anatomical/physics' terms otherwise it will be difficult to understand what he's saying.

Examples:  p positions, flying wedges, hinge, cocking, dorsiflexion, flexion, adduction, abduction, palmer flexion, neutral grip , power accumulators, pronation, supination, circumduction (I think!). Various muscles and bones in the shoulders , pelvis and legs, centrifugal force (although that is a fictitious force), double-pendulum effects (ie. law of the flail) , anatomical flat left wrist, geometrical flat left wrist, base plane line, elbow plane, hand plane, turned shoulder plane, reactive pivots vs active pivots , sweep/early/random/late release , impact zone, drive hold, parametric acceleration, horizontal/diagonal/vertical hinging  etc,etc,etc.

Perhaps, this stuff is for more advanced students?

OTOH, the fast talking British on line instructors clearly show what has to be done without a lot of specialized terminology?
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Replace the grip if you want, but a new putter won't matter (unless it makes you practice more).  There's some great putting and short game drills in chapter 9 of Every Shot Counts by Mark Broadie. His drills are also games, with scoring that measures objective skill level.   Also recommend The Putting Bible by Dave Pelz. 
    • A strange round of golf yesterday. I played from the red tees (plays just 5350 yards).  My ballstriking is not very crisp these days, but hopefully I can sort that out soon. It was a round of two halves, as usual. Front 9:  Could not hit fairways or greens at all on the front, 2/9 greens and 2/6 fairways, but still shot +2 on the front. That includes 2 shots in the bunker on hole 4, a horrible misshit that lead to a double on hole 7, topped my driver 80 yards twice and the only 2 fairways I hit were with short irons in hand. 11 putts on the front 9 says a lot about that tretch of holes.  Birdie on both par 5s on the front is allways nice.  37 shots, par 35 Back 9:  A little better ballstriking even though I hit 2 shots OB, leading to a tripple and a double, 4/7 fairway and 4/9 greens. The short game was more off here and I left a couple of chips a bit short. 17 putts is not as good as I'd like it to be. 1 threeputt, but I think I would threeputt from there more often than not, as it was a 60 foot downhill putt with a lot of break where I gave it a little to much speed. Birdie on hole 15 (short par 3) and on hole 17 was nice, and I missed a short birdieputt on, the tough par 3, 11. Had 165 yards in after a decent drive on the par 5 18, but managed the top the approach and miss the green from 90 yards after that and walk off with a bogey after also missing the 5 foot par save. 44 shots, par 37.  81 shots is not bad, but I make to many misstakes from tee, making golf a lot harder than it needs to be. I hit driver on 8 holes: 1 fairway hit (265 yards), 1 OB, hit short and low slices mostly except from the two topped 80 yard ones, avg. 240 yards today. My drives are usually 270-320 yards depending on wind and course, so my driving is not where it should be. My short game is not perfect, but it's certainly better than my hcp right now.  Playing a round at an away course today. There is a curse hanging over that course that needs to be lifted. Good luck me 😉  
    • Our range closes early on Sunday to do a “clean pick”, and reopens at 11:30 on Monday. It is mowed early Monday. The course is closed until noon on Monday’s.
    • If you do get a new putter, get fit first. Try a bunch out at a golf store and see what kinds you like first. Then find a good fitter to get your numbers down, length, lie, loft and overall weight. Heavier putters can help with distance control for some folks. Also, a different grip size may help even if n your current putter. For distance control, having a consistent rhythm helps. In my visit to Erie, Erik had me work on increasing my rhythm a bit because I was a bit too slow and it varied. I have a tempo app on my phone and set my rhythm to 2/4 time at 72 bpm. When I practice putting, I first work on my rhythm for short, medium and long putts. Then I work on read and start line. This drill can help too.  
    • Day 68, August 1, 2021:  My backswing is still too long. I’m trying to get it shorter I look at it on film and it’s way too long, did some pitching length swing length feeling swings, so it’s probably half to three quarter length backswing.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. ercxi
      ercxi
      (33 years old)
    2. Garea51
      Garea51
      (70 years old)
    3. iamwardicus
      iamwardicus
      (37 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...