IGNORED

Two strokes seems excessive for playing a wrong ball

Baculus
Note: This thread is 2554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone else find it slightly excessive that the penalty under rule 15:3 for playing a wrong ball is two strokes? (now also in a hazard circa 2008) I mean I don't think I've ever done it, and there's absolutely no excuse as rule 12.2 provides you can lift your ball for the purposes of identifying it.

I understand the advantage gained should not be greater than the penalty - perhaps you could theorise a possibility where one has gained a two stroke advantage by the testing bite of the greens out of the rough with someone else's ball. 

Thoughts? 

http://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Golf/MainRules/15-Substituted-Ball-Wrong-Ball/SubRules/3-Wrong-Ball 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As it is a straight two shot penalty without the errant stroke counting, it is basically the same as having hit the ball out of bounds which I think is fair. Especially when you consider that the action has also directly affected another competitors round and position on the course.

As someone who did this for the first time ever in his club championship last year you can guarantee that it is lesson learnt  - mark you ball and check it carefully. Do not simply rely on the fact that it is a Titleist and in your fairway

I see it as consistent with R7-2, which says, in part, "A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole." The penalty is two strokes in stroke play.

There are those who have played a wrong ball and those who will play a wrong ball. :-O Your time will come.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

Both good points, and now I mention it I have a very vague feeling of doing it when I was a junior. Though very embarrassing for you and annoying for the person who's ball you've played - if anything it probably advantages them, as naturally you're more inclined to place it favourably. 

Consistency with other rules like the practice rule is important, though that rule is targeted toward more overt behaviour, but I can see the need for parity.  

Edited by Baculus

• RandallT changed the title to Two strokes seems excessive for playing a wrong ball
  • Administrator
47 minutes ago, Baculus said:

Consistency with other rules like the practice rule is important, though that rule is targeted toward more overt behaviour, but I can see the need for parity.

Hitting another ball is fairly overt too. You did something or failed to do things you should do.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

47 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It is the easiest rule to not break. ID your ball before every stroke. 

Said from the comfort of your easy chair at home! ;)

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Hitting another ball is fairly overt too. You did something or failed to do things you should do.

You're right, but more of an omission rather than an intentional act like practicing I hope

(to think I play golf to get away from my law job, sigh) 

• Upvote 1

One of the ways to better understand the principles behind the Rules is to read (and reread) this:

https://www.usgapublications.com/collections/rules-of-golf/products/principles-behind-the-rules-of-golf-paperback-2016-edition?variant=25702107654

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

3 hours ago, Asheville said:

Said from the comfort of your easy chair at home! ;)

Yep.  I've done it a couple of times, and had someone accidentally play my ball twice in the last year alone.

Stupid to be sure, but it happens, especially out of the rough...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

This is a rule that I absolutely agree with.  Playing a wrong ball is simply a bone-headed, self-inflicted error that should cost you strokes or loss of hole in match play.  Here's the craziest example of this during a weekend match with my usual group.  Our game is match play and I ended up losing a hole due playing a wrong ball.

Hole 3: Long par 4, 90 degree dogleg right.  I was first to hit and my drove ball through the fairway.  Everyone else hits.  My partner drives me to exactly where my drive came to rest in fairly deep rough.  No shot to green, so I hit a 7-iron pitch out to within wedge range.  Get to my 3rd shot and uh-oh, not my ball.  What an idiot.  Immediately out of the hole due to penalty.  Went back to original spot of drive, no ball to be found anywhere.

Somewhere between my drive and the others teeing off, another player likely teed off on #9, hooked a ball into the same rough area, found what he thought was his ball, (my ball) and played it.  My ball was a logo overun ProV1 ball with a guy's name of Phil Townstein on it.  So #9 hole payer got my new ProV1.

The craziest thing was on hole #16. I pushed my drive right of fairway toward a stand of trees and a water hazard.  Again, my partner drives right to my ball and says, 'lucky you, it stopped just short of the water.'  I look down at ball and identify it as the #9 hole golfer who hit MY ball on #3 hole.  I mean really, how many ProV1 balls say 'Phil Townstein' on them?  So I'm in the hazard and out another hole.

What a round.  It was like that pretty much all day.  Actually, I was glad to find the Phil Townstein ball.  I played it the next weekend and won some $$ off the guys with it!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

The worst part is that it can cost your fellow competitor his/her own two strokes as they may not be able to find their ball in 5 minutes and may have to take a stroke and distance penalty as a result of a lost ball, because of what you did, if you don't realize your mistake promptly. I was once the "victim" on such an error in a tournament, and I can tell you I was none too pleased. That, to me, is the dumbest rule in golf, by the way.

Edited by sjduffers
  • Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

On 2/13/2017 at 3:52 AM, Baculus said:

I understand the advantage gained should not be greater than the penalty - perhaps you could theorise a possibility where one has gained a two stroke advantage by the testing bite of the greens out of the rough with someone else's ball. 

Thoughts? 

Several posters brought up the consistency with 7-2, remember that the breach must be corrected and ALL strokes made with the wrong ball don't count - you could make 5 or 6 'practice strokes' with the wrong ball! Almost seems like the 2 stroke penalty is not enough to me :-) !

6 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I dont think it is. You get a penalty for hitting the wrong ball, and then the other stroke is for the replay or drop. 

What 'other stroke?  The penalty for playing a wrong ball is the general penalty (2 strokes in strokeplay).

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I dont think it is. You get a penalty for hitting the wrong ball, and then the other stroke is for the replay or drop. 

18 minutes ago, Martyn W said:

What 'other stroke?  The penalty for playing a wrong ball is the general penalty (2 strokes in strokeplay).

Yeah, there's also no "drop" or whatever - you find your actual ball and play it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!