IGNORED

2017 L.A. Open (Genesis Open)

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So last week I posted a story about Patrick Cantlay coming back to the tour .... this week, well you will have to read it yourself

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/mac-ogrady-or-ogrady-legendary-eccentric-plays-in-genesis-open-qualifier

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Last year, I volunteered through First Tee to help out at this event (it wasn't called Genesis Open then).  I wish I had the time to do so this year as well.  Maybe in 2018. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I see someone is still writing checks with "2016" dates.  ;-)

Seem the article is about Mac O'Grady.  Am I missing something?

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• iacas changed the title to 2017 L.A. Open (Genesis Open)

Greetings ....

The field for the 2017 Genesis-Los Angeles Open is the strongest of the year on any tour by far.

Go to the Official World Golf Ranking Events Page and toggle the "Total Rating" field (AKA Strength of Field, or SOF) so that you see the highest ranked event 1st, next highest ranked event 2nd, and so on. Then look at the "This Week's Events" section just to the right to compare the Genesis SOF of figure 567 with the other events.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport

I do like that this is streaming on YouTube - for those of us without GolfChannel / Sky Sports, it's great news. Decent tournament from the looks of it, although the greens are a bit dodgy from the little I've seen. Still better than most I putt on, but can imagine most of the pros moaning...

• Upvote 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Could be a big weekend if DJ stays in contention, Mr Day might not be No1 after Sunday, he a long way back at present, play suspended for the day.:-(

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

9 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Probably won't be playing much, if at all, until at least Saturday afternoon.

If then.  Ugh.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Pretty cool that Sam Saunders had the 18 hole lead.. Grandson of Arnie--who 50 years ago went back to back at the same tournament.  Just a little story line to make it interesting

Edited by Finman

Dammit, Spieth got screwed by the draw.  Was T-3 when he finished this morn, now T-10.  As well as he's playing, 5 strokes is not insurmountable in 36 holes, but when DJ is the guy, gonna be tough to win this week, esp without a re-pair (cuz I like Jordan's chances heads up with DJ).

Playin tomorrow but lots of DVR should keep me busy tomorrow night.  

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

2 hours ago, Gunther said:

Dammit, Spieth got screwed by the draw.  Was T-3 when he finished this morn, now T-10.  As well as he's playing, 5 strokes is not insurmountable in 36 holes, but when DJ is the guy, gonna be tough to win this week, esp without a re-pair (cuz I like Jordan's chances heads up with DJ).

Playin tomorrow but lots of DVR should keep me busy tomorrow night.  

Yeah I agree.  At first I thought he and Vegas were sitting pretty today and then those guys just started throwing darts.  Almost made this course look easy.

• Upvote 1

36-hole finish, no re-grouping: there's always the chance of the eventual winner making a big run from the middle of the field, finishing on the ninth hole two hours before the last group completes their round.

Justin Rose can be spoiler of all TV coverage today!

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

a new number one from this event.  I think DJ could really stay at the top if he keeps his putter hot.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Kevin Na, out of the woods, misses the tree by this much. Looks like he's lined up well right of his target. He hits the tree, it ricochets who knows where, pegs someone in the head maybe. That's a tour sauce post yeah I hit that shot walk there.

This is a better angle than the telecast. I bet if you uploaded all the vids from smartphones, picked out the best, you'd have coverage rivaling CBS.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2612 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!