IGNORED

Technology does change the game

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 2573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was watching the Pebble Beach Pro Am on Sunday. I'm watching Dustin Johnson hit a 7 iron on #17. I played Pebble Beach about 10 years ago and hit a four iron on that hole (about 200 yards, virtually no wind). Now I'm not any where near Dustin Johnson's ability...but I'm a pretty good player (I would like to think). I hit it the ball further now than I did 10 years ago, but a 7 IRON? Are you kidding me?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

I was watching the Pebble Beach Pro Am on Sunday. I'm watching Dustin Johnson hit a 7 iron on #17. I played Pebble Beach about 10 years ago and hit a four iron on that hole (about 200 yards, virtually no wind). Now I'm not any where near Dustin Johnson's ability...but I'm a pretty good player (I would like to think). I hit it the ball further now than I did 10 years ago, but a 7 IRON? Are you kidding me?

Dustin hits the ball a long way. He easily hits it a club or two longer than even many other Pros. When I'm playing well, I'll hit a 6 iron 190/195 so it's easy for me to accept him hitting a 7 iron 200.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Dustin Johnson would hit less club than you in any era.

I'm not sure what this has to do with technology.

As for the number on the bottom of a club, it's just a number.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It also helps to be stupid talented, 6'4", limber as a yogi master and zillion hours of practice. :-D

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

44 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Dustin hits the ball a long way. He easily hits it a club or two longer than even many other Pros. When I'm playing well, I'll hit a 6 iron 190/195 so it's easy for me to accept him hitting a 7 iron 200.

I've seen your swing, and don't doubt your distance, but the clubhead, shaft, and ball technology has probably added 20 yards or more since the time I started playing golf in the 70's.  If you go back to some of the old Shell's World of Golf episodes, you'll see big-hitting pros of the time hitting 7-iron from 150 yards.  I'd also bet that better understanding of the golf swing through high-speed video has also added to the distance the pros hit it, along with substantially improved physical conditioning.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

And a couple of extra yards from rubbing elbows with The Great One. :-D

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

41 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've seen your swing, and don't doubt your distance, but the clubhead, shaft, and ball technology has probably added 20 yards or more since the time I started playing golf in the 70's.  If you go back to some of the old Shell's World of Golf episodes, you'll see big-hitting pros of the time hitting 7-iron from 150 yards.  I'd also bet that better understanding of the golf swing through high-speed video has also added to the distance the pros hit it, along with substantially improved physical conditioning.

A 7 iron in the 70s probably has the same loft on it as an 8 often does now (or 9 on some brands).  I'm sure the technology has improved distances 5-10%, but it doesn't seem accurate to give it 100% credit for going from 150 to 200.

John

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, SG11118 said:

A 7 iron in the 70s probably has the same loft on it as an 8 often does now (or 9 on some brands).  I'm sure the technology has improved distances 5-10%, but it doesn't seem accurate to give it 100% credit for going from 150 to 200.

Agreed. Dustin swings a lot faster than some of those guys. Nicklaus didn't play a 7-iron from 150. Tiger didn't in 1997.

And Tiger's blades are historically weak lofted.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, SG11118 said:

That's why I also mentioned better understanding of golf swing mechanics, and improved physical conditioning.  I don't know how to allocate the distance increase to each of the different factors, but technology has provided a significant portion, in my opinion. 

I'm not a club mechanic expert, but I understand that the shaft and clubhead design produce higher ball flights than the decreased loft might otherwise indicate.  These guys aren't hitting a 7 iron on an old 5-iron trajectory, if anything they're hitting it even higher than a 7-iron at the time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

The clubs, balls, course conditions (generally speaking) make the game much easier to play than it used to be.

I can't imagine how bad I'd be if I played the clubs I started with in the '80's. Probably at least 6 shots worse.

I got this quote from here regarding Jack Nicklaus's distances for comparison to Dustin.

From Golf My Way p. 31

Driver: 250 yards and up
3-wood: 235 yards and up
1-iron: 215-235 yards
2-iron: 205-220 yards
3-iron: 195-210 yards
4-iron:185-200 yards
5-iron: 170-185 yards
6- iron: 155-170 yards
7-iron: 140-155 yards
8-iron:130-145 yards
9-iron:105-135 yards
Pitching wedge: 80-130 yards
Sand wedge: Up to 100 yards

Although, I think the older 7i are more like a modern 9i?

loftw.gif

Referenced from here.

Dustin is one heck of an athlete. I think I'll go with @nevets88's explanation in this post. Kind of like Occam's razor. :-)

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Oh, that's definitely true. I've used clubs from 1978 and they are easily a club length+  shorter in distance when I used them. That said, OP mentioned 10 years ago and the Mizuno's I'm using *T-Zoid Pro* are from ~1999 and there isn't much distance difference on well struck shots between them and my Ping I irons. The biggest difference, I think, is the ball technology being used these days. I'm pretty sure if you give these guys a 1970's era ball with their modern club they are going to see some pretty significant distance loss. Much more than if you give them a 1970's era club and modern ball. I could be way off on that though, so I readily admit I may not know what I'm talking about :-)

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

1 minute ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Oh, that's definitely true. I've used clubs from 1978 and they are easily a club length+  shorter in distance when I used them. That said, OP mentioned 10 years ago and the Mizuno's I'm using *T-Zoid Pro* are from ~1999 and there isn't much distance difference on well struck shots between them and my Ping I irons. 

OK, I admit I read right past that "10 years" part, and proceeded with my own agenda.  In this case, I'd guess that the difference between the OP's 4 and Dustin's 7 is simply the difference between the OP and Dustin.  Dustin is a freak of nature.

Dave

Here is an clip from the '72 US Open at Pebble - and it shows Jack playing 17, on a very windy day, hitting 1-iron
Some of you may have heard about this shot.

There ongoing equipment argument, and this thread discussing club - but year vs. year (or more like decade vs. decade) it is about ball, shaft, and club.
But certainly, as one can see in the opening shot on the video - Jack was no slouch when it came to taking a rip at it.

And to also support nevets point about being limber - I've always heard that Sam Snead was the most limber player on tour.

Players play, tough players win!

I think technology has only played a minor impact in the game specifically regarding distances. One video that I remember with Peter Finch and Rick Shiels, they chose old drivers and still him them 275+ yards. I think newer designs certainly offer more forgiveness than older models and probably are easier for high handicappers to hit, but in terms of distance, I think this demonstrates that it is more about the person swinging the club than it is the actual club.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

I'm sure the equipment helped some but the majority of it, as others have stated, is his build, athleticism, and tons of practice.

10 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

i don know that i would chalk that up to technology...its an iron. other than making it easier for the average player to keep distance on off center hits, irons cant really change all that much. i have read  couple of articles(which i am currently trying to revisit) that test older model irons vs. newer model irons that show that when struck in the center of the clubface (which all tour players do about 90% of the time) there is no difference in distance. workability might be a little difference story. Im not so sure how you would test that. but the restrictions on head weighting for irons hasnt changed, so Cog meeting COG will carry similar results.

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

Plus deeper pool of athletes, better understanding of body to maximize time in gym.

But really, there's one thing that started all this: $

Well, two, Tiger Woods and $

Steve

Note: This thread is 2573 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!