IGNORED

Pants for less slim guys

Note: This thread is 2609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I normally wear shorts when I golf, but the weather lately had me shopping for pants today, and I'm having a heck of a time finding ones that fit. I'm not the slimmest or most athletic guy in the world, but I'm not huge. I'm about 5'10, 210 pounds. All the pants I've found that fit in the waist have pockets that flare out. I assume it's because my rear end or hips are too big (though they don't really feel tight). It seems like all these flat front pants are made for skinny dudes. 

Anyone else in the same boat? Are there any brands/models of pants that you've found to fit reasonably off the rack? I know I can get some tailored, but I'd rather avoid that if I can (especially given how rarely I wear long pants).

I like Goodwill when I shop for golf (or other "work") pants. Often find new or nearly new pants that fit really well and that I could wear to the office or church as well as to the golf course. In addition, I usually get pleated pants for comfort.

But there really is an issue in the golf apparel industry...The golf brands are making pants for the likes of Jordan and Rory and shirts for Henrik (who I think stretches into a boy's size large), not for guys shaped like I am or even the normal physique. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been wearing Haggar Cool 18 brand with the pleats. They also have an expanding waist built in. You may have to go online to get the proper inseam length as J.C. Penny and Kohl's do not carry all of the inseam lengths. They seem to carry mostly even lengths (28,30,32) Usually you can find 29,31 on most colors that are available.

Lime Tree, The Haggar pants are also available in a flat front style! In my experience with the flat front pants the pockets also flare open a bit more than the pleated pants do. 

6 hours ago, LimeTree said:

I'm skeptical of pleats, but I'll go check those out. Thanks!

Pleats are awesome. Just as Jim Harbaugh!

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/jim-harbaugh-pants-wife-san-francisco-49ers

pleats.jpg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If you're taking about GOLF pants, (and not the kind you wear to the office) the FootJoy Athletic Fit pants are nice.  They have extra room in thigh area and are modern cut at bottom.  They also have pockets like jeans that won't flare out.  Puma also has pants with jeans style pockets as well.

Also check the fabric content for 5% spandex or fabric description that says 'stretch' in some way shape or form.  These products will expand a bit without having the pockets flare out so much even if they are the diagonal cut pockets.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, dave s said:

If you're taking about GOLF pants, (and not the kind you wear to the office) the FootJoy Athletic Fit pants are nice.  They have extra room in thigh area and are modern cut at bottom.  They also have pockets like jeans that won't flare out.  Puma also has pants with jeans style pockets as well.

I have (apparently) a bigger butt, bigger thighs (yes), and bigger calves (definitely) than my waist size would indicate. I have NOT had good luck with anything described as "athletic fit." Those are usually tighter clothes. I need almost "baggy" pants.

I get 34/32 pants even though my waist size is really closer to 32-33". So they're sloppy at my waist, and even then I need them loose through the thighs and calves just so I can fit into them without them literally bunching up. Or giving me front or back wedgies.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm a huge fan of Adidas Ultimate pants.  Tons of stretch and flexibility in them but they have a very clean look and are light enough to wear even in warmer temps but do a great job keeping you warm on cooler days.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

On 2/19/2017 at 8:55 PM, LimeTree said:

I normally wear shorts when I golf, but the weather lately had me shopping for pants today, and I'm having a heck of a time finding ones that fit. I'm not the slimmest or most athletic guy in the world, but I'm not huge. I'm about 5'10, 210 pounds. All the pants I've found that fit in the waist have pockets that flare out. I assume it's because my rear end or hips are too big (though they don't really feel tight). It seems like all these flat front pants are made for skinny dudes. 

Anyone else in the same boat? Are there any brands/models of pants that you've found to fit reasonably off the rack? I know I can get some tailored, but I'd rather avoid that if I can (especially given how rarely I wear long pants).

if it says "fit - slim fit or athletic" thats for people that are in "in-shape or athletic fit or looking like Rory"

Note: if it say fit, slim-fit or athletic fit and you have man boobs or love handles. it is not for you, because it will be tight fitted and your mom boobs will be looking bigger then your wife's, gf, mom and sister's boobs. if the pants are so tight in the hips and thighs where u can't bend over then you need to find another style or maybe go up a few sizes.

not trying to mean at all. im jus saying i've seen a lot of guys out there on the course who looks just like the fat girls they make fun of for wearing clothes they shouldn't be wearing at all. another thing guys, if your man boobs are the same size or bigger then your gf or wife's. that mean u need to get in shape.

even some skinny guys don't need to be wearing slim fit shirts and pants, cause they won't be able to fill out the shirt and it's jus going to look like skinny shirt or if they fit it, they will be looking like a tooth pick out their.

but if your wanting to be looking like Rory or DJ out their, buy u some fit stuff or slim fit, then look at your self in the mirror and it will want u to start working out and get in shape. plus it will help you also on golf side with your swing and stuff from working out and lasting longer and be able to push thru those 18holes or how many u play or walk

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

On 2/19/2017 at 10:36 PM, MarvChamp said:

But there really is an issue in the golf apparel industry...The golf brands are making pants for the likes of Jordan and Rory and shirts for Henrik (who I think stretches into a boy's size large), not for guys shaped like I am or even the normal physique. -Marv

i rather have golf clothes that are fit or athletic fit then clothes that are baggy or made for normal people. i have more range of freedom in my swing and don't have to adjust my left sleeve on my shirt cause it feels weird when im standing at address. i think they are improving in the clothes and lot more weightless going on and very breathable. plus if a guy saw a shirt like rory or jordan or DJ has on, it can motivate a person to get into shape so they can look good in it. when it comes to summer heat weather, fit style that breathes really good and very thin is going to feel better then a semi think dri-fit polo shirt that feels sticky on the back of your shirt because its a loose fit and jus flops around on your back. 

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

Yeah, at 71, I work out as I can. But that won't make me look as good as those guys! Truthfully, athletic or slim fit golf clothes are not for most middle-aged or older people. BUT technology in materials has made a huge difference. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Oh geez! Lose weight??? I can't believe I never thought of that ;-)

I picked up a pair of the Haggar Cool 18 (flat front) from Kohl's tonight. They're not perfect, but better than what I had before. It seems like they have a new line. It said "new" and they're "Cool 18 Pro" so I'm not sure if it's the exact same thing. But I'll give them a shot.

Ok, I am dutifully reporting back with some findings.

Despite proto's admonition above, I decided to order a pair of the Bonobos golf pants in "athletic" fit, which they describe as having a "roomier seat and thigh." That sounds like exactly what I need. And, indeed, I got them yesterday and they are the best fitting of the pants I've tried. So even though I'm not at all "in shape like Rory," these athletic fit pants work pretty well for me. 

The Haggar ones are decent too, and I'll probably keep them. They're a bit more traditional in appearance, more like dress slacks. I like having both options.

YAY! Best post ever!

It's not because you're a bigger guy, kinda like Erik said, it's just because your proportions aren't totally stock.  I'm just under 6'3", 200+lbs, in pretty good shape, no belly, and I have the same problem.  Unless the pants are baggy (which I don't like) 34" fits the waist but pockets flare quite often, 36" and the pockets don't flare but the waist is loose/sloppy.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 2609 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!