Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blackjack Don

Play 200

Note: This thread is 1374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

52 posts / 3474 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

They have "Orange" tees at the course near my house designated for kids, but possibly could be used for this purpose?

Yeah sounds like they could. This course doesnt sell it as kids towards but as a quicker 18 with the walking still thrown in.

 

How much time is spent over all on tee shots (setup, practise swings,looking for tee shot) * 18 holes. 3 mins? 42 mins shaved off then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I play with my 11 year old grandson we do something similar to him.  He plays all the par 3's from the forward tees and then for the 4's and 5's we (I) determine a good distance based on the length of the hole.  For example, if the hole is a 400 yard par 4 for me he plays about 280 and we adjust for each hole.  I have never had anyone complain about this since it keeps us moving.  At the same time he has a shot at par on each hole which makes it fun.  There is only one course in my area that has novice (green) tees and it would wise for more clubs to add them - get the beginners and youth out on the course and golfers they will become golfers. 

Edited by NJpatbee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, cutchemist42 said:

Yeah sounds like they could. This course doesnt sell it as kids towards but as a quicker 18 with the walking still thrown in.

 

How much time is spent over all on tee shots (setup, practise swings,looking for tee shot) * 18 holes. 3 mins? 42 mins shaved off then.

I should suggest this to the new management.

It sound like a great way to reduce some of the 6 to 7 hour round times we've suffered there. That's one reason I don't play this course even though it's 2 miles from my house. OTOH, my home course is only 6 miles from my house and 2.2 miles from my work.

I just think that anything that speeds up play is a great idea, and ones that don't like that in the OP should not really be considered for times when the courses are crowded. Maybe early in the mornings would be perfect for "Playing 200" and making all holes "Par 5"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

Kinda similar....but a course I play on has tee markers on the fairway that range from 120-180 from the green for people who want to play a quick round without the driver tee shot and time associated with it. 

Anyone else play on a course that does this?

Lots of courses are adding tee markers (or at least a rock near the edge of the fairway or something) to signal kids tees.

11 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

How much time is spent over all on tee shots (setup, practise swings,looking for tee shot) * 18 holes. 3 mins? 42 mins shaved off then.

Only if everyone in front of you is also doing this (or there aren't people in front of you).

I don't see the point of this, but at the same time, I don't really care what other people do if they're not affecting my ability to play golf the way I want to do it (which I'd describe as "normally").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As long as you (or whoever is playing such a game) aren't holding up play for your group because you need to wait on every green to clear because it's now driveable, I think it's great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was just thinking of the other end of the stick on this 200 yard scenario.

I would like to know how the long knockers (290 + yards) feel about playing behind us folks who drive in the 230 yard range.  

My point is, that what ever caliber golfer you are, at some point, you are going to irritate other golfers. Your play is not always going to be acceptable to others, in front, or behind you. I am sure my game has irritated others at some point, and I am quite sure most, if not all the posters in this thread, at one time or another, have also irritated others when playing.  I am not saying we are doing something wrong to cause that irritation. I am just saying others can/will see our games as an irritation in their opinions.

Besides, how many times are we going to golf with someone who drives/walks to the 200 yard marker? I have been golfing a long time, and other than my wife, and some of the youngsters in the family, I have never seen it happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, Patch said:

I was just thinking of the other end of the stick on this 200 yard scenario.

I would like to know how the long knockers (290 + yards) feel about playing behind us folks who drive in the 230 yard range.  

My point is, that what ever caliber golfer you are, at some point, you are going to irritate other golfers. Your play is not always going to be acceptable to others, in front, or behind you. I am sure my game has irritated others at some point, and I am quite sure most, if not all the posters in this thread, at one time or another, have also irritated others when playing.  I am not saying we are doing something wrong to cause that irritation. I am just saying others can/will see our games as an irritation in their opinions.

Besides, how many times are we going to golf with someone who drives/walks to the 200 yard marker? I have been golfing a long time, and other than my wife, and some of the youngsters in the family, I have never seen it happen. 

 

I doubt that a 10 handicap driving 230, like yourself, would be taking that much time to hit his second shot. . .so, I doubt that you would irritate anyone. . .

I'm not a long knocker, but I play with some of them. They just wait. The shorter knockers like myself usually go first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

One philosophy has pervaded my life. It's simple really, but doesn't seem to be easy to live with: "There has to be a better way." When I came to golf eight months ago, I applied this principle, as I had to everything I've ever done. Can this be better? Not just for me, but for others. I want to enjoy golf, and I want everyone to enjoy the game, even if they disagree with me or don't need any better.

Recently I have been playing rounds of what some of us are calling Play 200. Each hole, I begin at the 200 yard mark (shorter par 3's excepted, of course). I start every hole from 200 yards from the green according to my Garmin GPS watch. Because I can't reach the green in one shot, I have to plan what club I'm going to hit, where I want to land it, from how far out I want to be to hit my second shot into the green. Yesterday, I shot 6 over for nine holes. It was fun.

By eliminating the tee shot, I also cut my nine holes down to less than an hour and a half. I played a few holes with two other guys, so that slows it down. They didn't mind, after they understood what I'm doing. I'm practicing. I spent a hour on the range practicing my full swing. I spent a half hour chipping and putting. Then I played nine holes, (after 3 o'clock it's only $10), and was home in time to fix my wife dinner when she got home from work. That's what I call a great golf day. I left the course happy about how I spent my day.

My driver is not reliable. My three wood isn't either. Even if it was, I would still keep playing from 200. Some say, "That's not golf!", but if you take the driver out of the bag, is it still golf? If you tee off with an iron every hole, the game has changed. If you "move up," to what? is it still golf? Yes. All of that is golf. So why not do something that works, that takes over half of the frustration out of the game? Why not try something that makes the game more fun, esp if you are over 100 avg.?

This might be a way to get people to stay playing golf, when they might otherwise give it up. Golf is hard. For more than half of those who try it, it's too hard. They give up. This is way outside the box, but if you think that a without a driver, the game isn't the same, either. It's all golf. Once I can hit my driver, I'll be back on the tee box. Where the fun is one stroke more.

Best wishes. Enjoy the process. Think outside the box.

Nothing wrong with what you're doing, but you are turning every single hole (except the par 3s) into the exact same 200 yard hole.   Instead of putting your ball 200 yards from the pin, why not put your ball 200 yards from the tee?   Then every hole would retain some unique character, and the remaining yardages would be different.  

As for getting people to keep playing golf, I know it's selfish, but I wish more people would quit. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

Nothing wrong with what you're doing, but you are turning every single hole (except the par 3s) into the exact same 200 yard hole.   Instead of putting your ball 200 yards from the pin, why not put your ball 200 yards from the tee?   Then every hole would retain some unique character, and the remaining yardages would be different.  

As for getting people to keep playing golf, I know it's selfish, but I wish more people would quit. 

 

Exactly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This thread puzzles me. If I recall correctly, this has been previously discussed at length in a prior thread. The same sort of replies were given. They are not much different than they are now. The concept is nothing resembling "out of the box thinking". It is only a description of a personal preference to playing in a fashion that the OP derives some satisfaction from. There is certainly nothing at all wrong with that, and I do not think anyone has ever said there was. One definition of insanity is, "doing the exact same thing and expecting a different result". I can not say that is relevant here however, but if replies were given the first time, why would it be expected that different replies would be forthcoming a second ?

Generally speaking, hitting from 200 yards less except on the par threes would be tantamount to subtracting 2800 yards from the course length, depending of course of where the measurement is taken from. Why not simply play at a short course to begin with?  Surely, some of the executive courses although short, are just as challenging, and in some cases more so. But again, this was addressed the first time.

So what is the objective of the thread?  To seek assurances? To find common ground?  I doubt if anyone's play will be affected to the extent that they would wish to change.  If the objective is lower scores, it would be a false objective. It could offer up some sort of achievement satisfaction I suppose and that is alright too, if that is what one is looking for.  

Bottom line, only you can determine what gives you satisfaction and if this method helps achieve that, then more power to you. No judgement here at all. Do what you want to do and nobody will fault you for it, nor should they. 

I would add, that I have no intention of debating this. It is merely my input and I would not "engage".  Take it FWIW.

Edited by Hacker James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The concept of starting off 200 yards from the green doesn't really help a higher handicap with anything.

What makes sense is playing 200 yards from the tee box, that at least works on a reasonable approach game and short game skills as if you drive 200 yards on average. That would give you an idea how you will score once you can drive the ball 200 yards on average.

If you are playing from the correct tees, most courses for us handicap golfers will not leave you an average approach of 200 yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, Hacker James said:

This thread puzzles me. If I recall correctly, this has been previously discussed at length in a prior thread. The same sort of replies were given. They are not much different than they are now. The concept is nothing resembling "out of the box thinking". It is only a description of a personal preference to playing in a fashion that the OP derives some satisfaction from. There is certainly nothing at all wrong with that, and I do not think anyone has ever said there was. One definition of insanity is, "doing the exact same thing and expecting a different result". I can not say that is relevant here however, but if replies were given the first time, why would it be expected that different replies would be forthcoming a second ?

Generally speaking, hitting from 200 yards less except on the par threes would be tantamount to subtracting 2800 yards from the course length, depending of course of where the measurement is taken from. Why not simply play at a short course to begin with?  Surely, some of the executive courses although short, are just as challenging, and in some cases more so. But again, this was addressed the first time.

So what is the objective of the thread?  To seek assurances? To find common ground?  I doubt if anyone's play will be affected to the extent that they would wish to change.  If the objective is lower scores, it would be a false objective. It could offer up some sort of achievement satisfaction I suppose and that is alright too, if that is what one is looking for.  

Bottom line, only you can determine what gives you satisfaction and if this method helps achieve that, then more power to you. No judgement here at all. Do what you want to do and nobody will fault you for it, nor should they. 

I would add, that I have no intention of debating this. It is merely my input and I would not "engage".  Take it FWIW.

I only want to quibble with one thing you said.  This is a pet peeve of mine.  

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" is not the definition of insanity, in spite of Einstein saying it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

I only want to quibble with one thing you said.  This is a pet peeve of mine.  

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" is not the definition of insanity, in spite of Einstein saying it. 

 

ha ha, well maybe not THE definition, but it is ONE definition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Marty2019 To your credit, I do not believe Einstein actually said that. From your viewpoint, it more clearly defines a definition of Perserverance.  In my context above, it was not as used in a repetitive experiment, but merely anecdotal in that if used in a prior text or argument that simply repeating it will not change people's acceptance. Although, I suppose it could.

Edited by Hacker James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

ha ha, well maybe not THE definition, but it is ONE definition.

No, it's not even one definition of insanity. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Observation?

If "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" was in fact the definition of insanity, then me constantly telling people it's not, and expecting them to stop saying it, would fit the definition of insanity.   But it's not.   It's not even close.  And the fact that people keep saying it is driving me crazy.  

The actual definition of insanity is, 1) a state of being seriously mentally ill, or 2) extreme foolishness or irrationality.  

"Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result" might be close to a definition of "bullheadedness," which Webster's dictionary defines as "determined in an obstinate and unthinking way." 

 

 

Edited by Marty2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Personally I would just play a par three/executive course and save the money. Not many par fours on them and they provide some variety and a par for their course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Darkfrog
      Darkfrog
      (43 years old)
    2. Jrock817
      Jrock817
      (40 years old)
    3. Leonclum
      Leonclum
      (48 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...