IGNORED

2017 Masters Tournament

iacas
Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/ap-masters-limiting-2017-par-3-contest-honorary-invitees-lose-playing-practice-privileges?mbid=social_facebook

I'm sure many will not like this move, but I don't really care much.  If you forced me to have an opinion, then I suppose I'd say I like the decision.

Sums up my feelings as well, although if I was in that super small Venn diagram of people who are now excluded from it, I can see why they'd be disappointed.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I'm sure many will not like this move, but I don't really care much.  If you forced me to have an opinion, then I suppose I'd say I like the decision.

I understand banning them from practicing on the main course, but what does the invitation to former winners of the other events really get you now if you can't even play in the Par 3 "Contest"? They took away everything, all at once.

Just seems weird.

I'd rather they ban kids from being "caddies" than banning former British Open winners from playing the Par 3 Contest.

• Upvote 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Makes sense to me - keeping it an Augusta exhibition. I will only watch it to catch a glimpse of Jack, Gary, Freddie and a few other past winners take a swing or two; and it is a good diversion, IMO, for current participants.
The whole having your kid caddie was cute, but some took it too far and there would be 3 or 4 kids running around the greens. Family fun, but not something I need to see on ESPN coverage.

Does anyone think that Tiger would ever participate in that? (Even if Sam and/or Charlie wanted to caddie or just be part of it)

• Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

16 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Does anyone think that Tiger would ever participate in that? (Even if Sam and/or Charlie wanted to caddie or just be part of it)

I have the urge to troll this question by pretending to be a Tiger hater (No way! He has no soul!!!), but I am resisting somehow haha.

He actually played in the par-3 contest in 2015 and his kids did caddy for him.

• Upvote 2

Constantine

I have a reliable source that says the reason why they got rid of the "Honorary" guys is so there would be room for Chris Berman to play in the par 3 contest.

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/ap-masters-limiting-2017-par-3-contest-honorary-invitees-lose-playing-practice-privileges?mbid=social_facebook

So...do the honorary invitees just get an invitation to the tournament as spectators?  It doesn't affect me, but like some others have mentioned, I would rather see former major winners play in the Par-3 than a bunch of kids running amok as caddies.  

My swing coach is a former U.S. Amateur champion, so I might give him a call and see if he has some insight on this.  I know he goes every year, but I don't think he plays the Par-3 anymore.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

On 2/23/2017 at 0:22 PM, iacas said:

I'm pretty sure they'll find a way to get blooming ones on the property for the Masters…

Augusta National has greenhouses specially set up for this type of situation.  They can time when they will bloom and then transplant a week to 10 days prior to the

tournament.

Now I hope Tiger plays as it is good for our local economy, but would like to see DJ win.  I will be at Sun N Fun while this is going on.  No golf for that week and green fees soar from

3 to 4 times normal.

Gene, Retired Army, photography, aviation and golf enthusiast

Trenton, SC

Adams aOS12 set.

Gordon Lakes GC home course

1 hour ago, JetFan1983 said:

I have the urge to troll this question by pretending to be a Tiger hater (No way! He has no soul!!!), but I am resisting somehow haha.

He actually played in the par-3 contest in 2015 and his kids did caddy for him.

My mistake - I obviously don't pay much attention (like I said, I'll watch the retired legends take a few swings)
Good for him.
I'd give you more than 1 rep point, but that's all I'm allowed

Players play, tough players win!

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

My mistake - I obviously don't pay much attention (like I said, I'll watch the retired legends take a few swings)
Good for him.
I'd give you more than 1 rep point, but that's all I'm allowed

Haha thanks. Only eight more to go until 360 and all-time great status hehe ... then begins the long arduous final ascent to Legend... wonder if I'll see Green Boots along the way.

4 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I have a reliable source that says the reason why they got rid of the "Honorary" guys is so there would be room for Chris Berman to play in the par 3 contest.

I heard he's the lone honorary starter this year as well. They're also strongly considering replacing Jeff Knox with him as their marker. 

• Upvote 3

Constantine

19 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

After 30+ year of having to listen to that buffoon I'm ready for him to go quietly into retirement.

Edited by skydog
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Found on Instagram via Reddit - Arnold Palmer handwritten yardage book:

How cool is that?

You beat me to it.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Photo of ANGC just before official opening:

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
  • Upvote 4

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 hours ago, iacas said:

This is really interesting. Thanks for posting.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Tiger on GMA said he's "working really hard to get back to Augusta" and looked "spry" during the putting competition (twice he had to jump forward to move a ball in the way of his putt after he hit the putt).

But… that's a WHOLE different animal than making swings. He said nothing you could take as "he's practicing." He said he's "working hard to get back" and stuff like that. i.e. physical rehab or something, not actually practicing.

He won't play. I'd bet a LOT on that at this point.

Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!