IGNORED

2017 Masters Tournament

iacas
Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

Pull up Speith stats. There is another short knocker. 

Jordan Spieth averages 292.5 off the tee in his last 24 attempts and is ranked 88th out of 207 players. He's in the top 50% for driving distance and still hits it over 290. What planet do you live on where that's a "short knocker"?

Edited by Pretzel

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Jordan Spieth averages 292.5 off the tee in his last 24 attempts and is ranked 88th out of 207 players. He's in the top 50% for driving distance and still hits it over 290. What planet do you live on where that's a "short knocker"?

So he's just slightly better than average. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

23 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

So he's just slightly better than average. 

Yes, but by no means would I call him a short hitter. Jim Furyk doesn't even average 270 yards on his drives, and several other big names like K.J. Choi, Luke Donald, and Ben Crane all average 275 or less.

12 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Yes, but by no means would I call him a short hitter. Jim Furyk doesn't even average 270 yards on his drives, and several other big names like K.J. Choi, Luke Donald, and Ben Crane all average 275 or less.

People call him a "short hitter" because they compare him to DJ, Day and McIlroy. Those are the Big 4 the media talks about and three of those guys are bombers. So while Spieth may hit it longer than the average guy, when compared to the other big boys that have dominated the game most along with Jordan the last couple years, he is considered short. He plays a different game than those other three.

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

People call him a "short hitter" because they compare him to DJ, Day and McIlroy. Those are the Big 4 the media talks about and three of those guys are bombers. So while Spieth may hit it longer than the average guy, when compared to the other big boys that have dominated the game most along with Jordan the last couple years, he is considered short. He plays a different game than those other three.

That's true. I would be inclined to say that his performance in 2015 was an outlier due to his ridiculous putting statistics that year. Spieth, while definitely a solid golfer, doesn't seem to excel in ballstriking like the other players do while they're at the top of their games. When Spieth was winning his majors he was making crazy amounts of 20-30 foot putts that most people don't make many of at all. 

As for this years Masters, I don't personally think he will win. I'm also not certain DJ will either, since DJ is supposed to be much more comfortable with a fade than a draw. That being said, Tiger strongly preferred a fade and won 4 Masters so that could end up counting for diddly.

23 hours ago, skydog said:

^I was looking for those stats but couldn't find them. Thanks for posting.

I'm really surprised to see #15 has the lowest average of the four...and equally surprised that 13 has the highest avg (I guess because of some blowup high scores there through the years?). The shallowness of the 15 green is hard to appreciate until you see it in person.

I think the towering 2nd shots on 15th green that drop and stop within 8-10 feet are the highest quality strikes in all of golf.

Edited by GolfLug
  • Upvote 1

Vishal S.

22 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Professional golf world around the planet earth.

Trollin' is the life

30 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

Professional golf world around the planet earth.

Evidently you don't understand the numbers. He is, statistically, a longer than average hitter (even if not by a lot).

19 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Evidently you don't understand the numbers. He is, statistically, a longer than average hitter (even if not by a lot).

He's on a roll, just let him go!

a) the field destroys the par 5's
b) Spieth is a short hitter

• Upvote 4

Players play, tough players win!

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

He's on a roll, just let him go!

a) the field destroys the par 5's
b) Spieth is a short hitter

You left out

c) Professional golf world around the planet earth. :hmm:

Edited by Buckeyebowman

9 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

You left out

c) Professional golf world around the planet earth. :hmm:

Well to be honest, professional golfers around the planet earth are pretty bad compared to the other planets (and don't even get me started about how awesome they are in some of the other galaxies ... I mean you've heard of Galaxy Golf, right -  where do you think that came from?)

Players play, tough players win!

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Well to be honest, professional golfers around the planet earth are pretty bad compared to the other planets (and don't even get me started about how awesome they are in some of the other galaxies ... I mean you've heard of Galaxy Golf, right -  where do you think that came from?)

The Tour on Proxima Centauri b is awesome! With that lower gravity, 650 yard drives are a spectacle to behold!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

15 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Ok you give us the breakdown of what is determined to be a long hitter, average hitter and short hitter. You can cherry pick stats anyway you want.

I think of a long hitter as someone who can over power a course. Speith is not that guy.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

Ok you give us the breakdown of what is determined to be a long hitter, average hitter and short hitter. You can cherry pick stats anyway you want.

I think of a long hitter as someone who can over power a course. Speith is not that guy.

It's very simple. You called Spieth a "short knocker."

He's longer than average on the PGA Tour and thus, not a "short knocker."

Nobody's really claiming he's a LONG hitter; they're just refuting your "short knocker" BS. If you wanted to break it down into short, average, and long… he's clearly not in the "short" group being above the 50th percentile.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

Your statement:  Long hitter is someone who can over power a course.

His statement:  Speith is not a short knocker.

Both can be true...in fact, I believe they both are.  Your statement is very vague though.  He is at least using stats to show that Speith is not, by empirical evidence, shorter than the average player.  I don't consider that to be "cherry picking".

I think your list of "long hitters" is going to be short-ish but it would be good to at least state who you think is on that list or how you would measure those players.  That way we can all be on the same page.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's very simple. You called Spieth a "short knocker."

He's longer than average on the PGA Tour and thus, not a "short knocker."

Nobody's really claiming he's a LONG hitter; they're just refuting your "short knocker" BS. If you wanted to break it down into short, average, and long… he's clearly not in the "short" group being above the 50th percentile.

Ok short knocker is wrong term but if we are going to be so literal then let's only use the guys who have tour cards? If that doesn't work we can then add a few more guys to fit the narrative. The bottom line is he isn't a long hitter. The original point stand as length doesn't mean you will dominate Augusta par 5. They can be had by all types of players which shows what a great course it is.

Trollin' is the life

• Administrator

@MuniGrit distance aside what's your point?

Spieth plays Augusta National pretty well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2485 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!