IGNORED

USGA/R&A Introduce "Modernized" Rules

iacas
Note: This thread is 2209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The only rule proposal I don't like one bit, is the flagstick in while putting.  I get it, but if they're gonna change it, I think it would be better to state that it doesn't apply to tournament play (I.e. penalty still applies during tournament play).  That way the integrity of being a good putter isn't diminished in serious play, but speeds up play for the weekend hacks.

I kind of chuckle at the more liberal red stake/paint for hazards.  To me, it seems most courses are already very liberal when marking courses.

I also hope they're careful about "plain language" in the rules.  The rules still need to be clear/precise.

Question:  Is there any way people can protest the flagstick rule (or any rule for that matter)?  Can we call, write letters, send emails?

Edited by Denny Bang Bang

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Question:  Is there any way people can protest the flagstick rule (or any rule for that matter)?  Can we call, write letters, send emails?

Apologies, missed this...

Golfers are encouraged to review the proposed changes and submit feedback online via worldwide survey technology that can be accessed at usga.org/rules or randa.org or from now until August 31, 2017.

The feedback will be reviewed by the USGA and The R&A in establishing the approved final version of golf’s new Rules. These are due to be released in mid-2018 ahead of a January 1, 2019 implementation. Fans on social media can also follow the discussion using #GolfRules2019.

Interestingly enough, I got an email from a course I play with @mcanadiens stating that they are putting the proposed rules in place right now.... I found that a bit strange.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

35 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Interestingly enough, I got an email from a course I play with @mcanadiens stating that they are putting the proposed rules in place right now.... I found that a bit strange.

I bet a lot of courses will do that, since the rules are largely intended to speed up the pace of play.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

5 minutes ago, dsc123 said:

I bet a lot of courses will do that, since the rules are largely intended to speed up the pace of play.

I guess courses have somewhat more freedom for this type of thing because they can put local rules in place. As long as people realize that they can't local rule the hitting the flag being no penalty.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

21 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Rules are for fools.

Shelby Oaks I presume? We all know the fellas up north prefer stuff a lot looser. Too bad my old buddy CR doesn't live up that way. He could join a league. He "beat" me 96-93 on one of his four-mullie specials a couple of weeks ago.

Wouldn't mind seeing a copy of that e-mail if you have a way of sending it. 

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

Rules are for fools.

Shelby Oaks I presume? We all know the fellas up north prefer stuff a lot looser. Too bad my old buddy CR doesn't live up that way. He could join a league. He "beat" me 96-93 on one of his four-mullie specials a couple of weeks ago.

Wouldn't mind seeing a copy of that e-mail if you have a way of sending it. 

Yeah, Shelby Oaks. If you message me your email address I'll forward it to you as well.

shelbyoaksemail.jpg

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

8 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I guess courses have somewhat more freedom for this type of thing because they can put local rules in place. As long as people realize that they can't local rule the hitting the flag being no penalty.

It strikes me as a bit strange that courses purport to set rules anyway.   What authority do they have to tell me how to count my score?  Most people out there probably don't play by the rules anyway (and that's fine).

But they'll definitely start lateral hazarding trees.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Interestingly enough, I got an email from a course I play with @mcanadiens stating that they are putting the proposed rules in place right now.... 

Yes, I imagine we will have some of our senior members confused about the fact that these are proposed Rule changes rather than actual changes.

Brian Kuehn

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Ugh, this is my worst nightmare with these rules. I'm the rules chair for my club, and I'm going to have to fight people thinking the new rules are in place for 2 years. Someone is going to get a penalty for doing something legal under the new rules. And courses/clubs doing things like this do not help.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

3 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Ugh, this is my worst nightmare with these rules. I'm the rules chair for my club, and I'm going to have to fight people thinking the new rules are in place for 2 years. Someone is going to get a penalty for doing something legal under the new rules. And courses/clubs doing things like this do not help.

I agree this is just likely to cause more confusion when/if they make further changes to these rules too. They are adopting rules that aren't even the final form which just seems like a bad idea. What are they going to do when revisions are posted? Are they going to change the rules again mid season?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

3 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I agree this is just likely to cause more confusion when/if they make further changes to these rules too. They are adopting rules that aren't even the final form which just seems like a bad idea. What are they going to do when revisions are posted? Are they going to change the rules again mid season?

Right. And it's going to be hard to find the rules when you need them. I have an app on my phone, along with a rulebook in my bag, for when I need to look at the rules quickly. I wouldn't even know where to find these rules on the course. It would take a few minutes on my phone. If there's a rules issue, the pace could slow down to a crawl, even more so than now.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

See here:

http://www.usga.org/rules-hub/rules-modernization/text/modernizing-golf-s-rules--faqs.html

Though I don't think it's a wise move to introduce unapproved Local Rules, you might be swimming against the tide. There's a link in #12 of the FAQs for a test Rules sheet.

• Upvote 1
"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

2 hours ago, dsc123 said:

It strikes me as a bit strange that courses purport to set rules anyway.   What authority do they have to tell me how to count my score?  Most people out there probably don't play by the rules anyway (and that's fine).

But they'll definitely start lateral hazarding trees.

Good point. Courses can define hazards (penalty areas), etc., but a lot of the rule changes are more pertaining to individual play.  How would they enforce those?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 hours ago, DeadMan said:

We were on the range today (not at my home club) and guys were talking about the rules like they were already in effect.  Dumb...and scary.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

12 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

We were on the range today (not at my home club) and guys were talking about the rules like they were already in effect.  Dumb...and scary.

Last night on Golf Channel they showed IIRC Seminole golf course saying they were going to implement the new rules immediately. Not sure how they can do that.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!