Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
EastTexasgolfer

Strategy to get better

Note: This thread is 1374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 posts / 1140 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Hi guys my first post here, and I was just wondering what everyone thought about small yet important things that will make me a better player. Would it be going to the range and trying to better figure out my yardsges with each club. Trying to hit different shots draws fades high low. I have 2-3 hours a day everyday that I'm willing to work... should've said this first but I usually shoot mid-high 80s but that can easily jump up to high 90s. I really want to take my game to the next level. With the goal being regularly in the 70s now I know it won't be easy and don't expect it to be but I'm willing to put in the work to have the benefits of winning (competing) tournaments. Thanks for any and all feedback 

Edited by EastTexasgolfer
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, EastTexasgolfer said:

Hi guys my first post here, and I was just wondering what everyone thought about small yet important things that will make me a better player. Would it be going to the range and trying to better figure out my yardsges with each club. Trying to hit different shots draws fades high low. I have 2-3 hours a day everyday that I'm willing to work... should've said this first but I usually shoot mid-high 80s but that can easily jump up to high 90s. I really want to take my game to the next level. With the goal being regularly in the 70s now I know it won't be easy and don't expect it to be but I'm willing to put in the work to have the benefits of winning (competing) tournaments. Thanks for any and all feedback 

Club yardages are a must.

I would stick with a standard shot as much as possible. It's nice to know how to work the ball each way, maybe not necessary right now. A consistent swing, consistent solid square contact is important.

If you are shooting mid 80's, sometimes 90's, you will need to improve all parts of your game to consistently shoot in the '70's.

The better you can get at overall ball striking, the easier it is to score in the '70's. It's also the hardest part of the game to get consistently very good at. You will need to spend most of your time on the full swing.

The short game is easier to learn and be consistent at. Good wedge play and putting can save a poor ball striking round. Learn these skills and practice enough to stay good at it.

If you are at it 2-3 hours every day, your game should improve.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, RH31 said:

Club yardages are a must.

I would stick with a standard shot as much as possible. It's nice to know how to work the ball each way, maybe not necessary right now. A consistent swing, consistent solid square contact is important.

If you are shooting mid 80's, sometimes 90's, you will need to improve all parts of your game to consistently shoot in the '70's.

The better you can get at overall ball striking, the easier it is to score in the '70's. It's also the hardest part of the game to get consistently very good at. You will need to spend most of your time on the full swing.

The short game is easier to learn and be consistent at. Good wedge play and putting can save a poor ball striking round. Learn these skills and practice enough to stay good at it.

If you are at it 2-3 hours every day, your game should improve.

Good luck!

I would revise that to Shot Zones. You want to know the high/low in distance and the left/right in dispersion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, RH31 said:

You will need to spend most of your time on the full swing.

And the best way to improve there is? (Swing coach? Video? Tech? Repetition?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I would revise that to Shot Zones. You want to know the high/low in distance and the left/right in dispersion. 

When working full swing would it make sense for me to work 4i instead of say 7i? The reason I ask that is because most of the time I make great contact with 7i not as often with a longer club. I figure if I can become a better ball striker with the 4i it might trickle over to other long irons.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EastTexasgolfer said:

When working full swing would it make sense for me to work 4i instead of say 7i? The reason I ask that is because most of the time I make great contact with 7i not as often with a longer club. I figure if I can become a better ball striker with the 4i it might trickle over to other long irons.

 

In one of the links above you'll see the 5 s's of good practice or something along that lines.  I think that we all and for me big time, confuse working on full swing mechanics and hitting balls. Slow concentrated swings to groove the mechanics should not matter between 7i and 4i, I would think.  

LSW is a good book that can lower scores with just the course management and shot zone sections.  I have had the book for awhile but have not put forth the effort to map zones, though its been on the list for sometime. I just got a range finder this weekend so hope to do so soon. I could have done by pace. but i am lazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, zero said:

And the best way to improve there is? (Swing coach? Video? Tech? Repetition?)

Yes. (To all)

There is a ton of great info on this site in regards to the 5SK stuff. I haven't tried it because I'm old and can't practice for hours on end anymore.

If I was just starting, I'd want to work with an instructor in person who utilizes video. I'd prefer working in person because I want feedback asap.

I'd find a pro whose development process I agree with. Take lessons every 2-3 weeks maybe. Practice and play as often as possible.

Reps are great if you're doing it right, not so much if you're doing it wrong.

Technology in clubs and club fitting have come a long way. Take advantage of Tech(clubs, balls, rangefinder, etc) whenever possible.

2 hours ago, EastTexasgolfer said:

When working full swing would it make sense for me to work 4i instead of say 7i? The reason I ask that is because most of the time I make great contact with 7i not as often with a longer club. I figure if I can become a better ball striker with the 4i it might trickle over to other long irons.

 

Work your way up one club a time.

May that nice swing with your 7i. Now grab a 6i and put the same swing on it.

Again with the solid 7i. Now try the the 5i, same swing as 7i.

Back to your money club 7i nice and solid. Now Try hitting the 4i with your 7i swing.

The point is the swing is the same, only the club in your hand is changing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...