IGNORED

2017 WGC-Mexico Championship

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That was the craziest round of golf I think I've ever seen.  Fun event.  Can't wait to see what today brings.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Phil's round wore me out, mostly because it looked strikingly similar to my rounds of golf. Except he makes putts... Jordan had a good day but I project a round in the 70s today. I think Rory will pull off the win, followed by Thomas and then DJ. I would like to DJ win though.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

R-r-r-r-r

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Fun lookin course. Make Mexico great again! Heheh. Seriously though, this is a pretty fun leaderboard of phenoms. I think in my next life, I want to come back as DJ. 

Constantine

I've loved watching this tournament on tv, i love the look of the course. DJ is a freaking ANIMAL.

Question, are the players allowed to use calculators to figure out their yardage adjustments?

Colin P.

16 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Question, are the players allowed to use calculators to figure out their yardage adjustments?

No (14.3b).

Unrelated: the announcers need to stop discussing the break of a putt in relation to "downtown" or "Mexico City". They sound idiotic.

• Upvote 3

- John

He's not swinging hard enough.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

52 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Unrelated: the announcers need to stop discussing the break of a putt in relation to "downtown" or "Mexico City". They sound idiotic.

If the shoe fits....

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

BAN HIM!

Steve

Guy in red on right scared he might get hit. 

Steve

1 hour ago, Hardspoon said:

No (14.3b).

They sound idiotic most of the time.

Could be Rahm and DJ in a play off.

39 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Bunch of clowns standing there trying to get their fizzogs on the tv.I hope one of them get whacked one day.

Oops,Rahm's just thrown it away.

Edited by Scotsclaff

DJ's shot from bunker to green was impossible! -Marv

• Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

23 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I could be wrong, I don't claim to be an expert, but I don't buy it. You can't tell me that every green breaks away from the high point on the course as if the course designers don't create slopes on their greens.

Agreed about readings greens he the feet. Firm believer in AimPoint. :beer:

15 hours ago, boogielicious said:

That's one of the 'myths' that announcers keep perpetuating. Putts break downhill, period. General topography may influence how a course is put together. But a good green designer will put in optical illusions that counter the topography. This is why AimPoint works so well as you have noted.

Yes! That's exactly the point! The ball will break downhill, but course architects are masters at disguising which way is downhill. That's why I mentioned the example I did. You can put a green into a slope and make it appear that it will break opposite the prevailing slope, when in fact it doesn't!

That's why I learned to trust my feet more than my eyes!

I guess I might be the original AimPoint guru, but I wasn't smart enough to Trademark it, or market it!

14 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Phil's round wore me out, mostly because it looked strikingly similar to my rounds of golf. Except he makes putts... Jordan had a good day but I project a round in the 70s today. I think Rory will pull off the win, followed by Thomas and then DJ. I would like to DJ win though.

Spieth in the 70's is all I got right.... Don't bet on my picks...

6 hours ago, nevets88 said:

If it was Phil, I could see genuine concern.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Enjoyed watching this today. Seems like the fans were great. Not 100% sure about the course, but the leaderboard was incredible. I'd say it was a great event. 

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 3/4/2017 at 9:11 PM, woodzie264 said:

Why do the commentators keep talking about the "City center" when guys miss putts? Is the this same freaking nonsense about greens always break towards the water? It's so annoying....

Your response:

On 3/4/2017 at 9:59 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Well, it's kind of like Augusta, where the clubhouse is at the highest point of the property and Rae's creek is at the absolute bottom. Everything slopes that way! We have some courses around here that are built on very hilly land, and some of the greens are very hard to read.

One thing I've learned is that you need to read greens with your feet! When you set up over a putt, and you feel your weight settling into your heels or your toes, THAT is what tells you how the ground slopes!

Then

On 3/4/2017 at 10:40 PM, woodzie264 said:

I could be wrong, I don't claim to be an expert, but I don't buy it. You can't tell me that every green breaks away from the high point on the course as if the course designers don't create slopes on their greens.

Then

21 hours ago, boogielicious said:

That's one of the 'myths' that announcers keep perpetuating. Putts break downhill, period. General topography may influence how a course is put together. But a good green designer will put in optical illusions that counter the topography. This is why AimPoint works so well as you have noted.

Yep

13 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

No (14.3b).

Yes

then your second response:

6 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yes! That's exactly the point! The ball will break downhill, but course architects are masters at disguising which way is downhill. That's why I mentioned the example I did. You can put a green into a slope and make it appear that it will break opposite the prevailing slope, when in fact it doesn't!

I didn't really get that from your first response, but if you were being sarcastic and I missed it, I apologize. It's hard to tell in this format.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 2578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!