IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

16 minutes ago, billchao said:

You're doing fine, @woodzie264. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will a good golf swing be. Just keep at it.

Thanks for encouragement; that said, some observable improvement would be nice. Maybe next week!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, woodzie264 said:

Thanks for encouragement; that said, some observable improvement would be nice. Maybe next week!

I’m not sure what you’re looking at, then. It’s significantly better than it was as little as a month ago. Look at the way you’re loading your wrists, your club path both in the backswing and downswing, how your spine is less extended at the top, etc.

Lots of observable improvement if you know where to look 😉

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

I’m not sure what you’re looking at, then. It’s significantly better than it was as little as a month ago. Look at the way you’re loading your wrists, your club path both in the backswing and downswing, how your spine is less extended at the top, etc.

Lots of observable improvement if you know where to look 😉

Oh. I honestly saw none of that. I simply see a swing flaw that I am working to correct without change. So, that said, I appreciate you pointing out those other areas. I would have not seen those things. I guess I’m a bit myopic in evaluating myself.  Thanks man! I feel a bit better now

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

12 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Oh. I honestly saw none of that. I simply see a swing flaw that I am working to correct without change. So, that said, I appreciate you pointing out those other areas. I would have not seen those things. I guess I’m a bit myopic in evaluating myself.  Thanks man! I feel a bit better now

We can be our own worst critics at times. Don't get yourself down because you're focused on that one particular thing, because your hard work is showing in other areas. Good job, man.

Have you seen any difference in your ballstriking on the course?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

@woodzie264, it seems like you are bending sideways much more than you are rotating in your backswing. Notice how your head tilts towards the target at the top of your BS (A4). Club-hand unit should go a bit more 'around' your spine and not as much up and down the target line. 

Do a shoulder rotation drill with a club held across your chest and make sure you are really pulling BACK (not UP) your right shoulder and right hip as your first movement off the ball. It will feel like you are twisting your spine much more than bending it. That's the feel you want. Of course, make sure you keep your weight forward as always. Seems like you are doing a decent job with that part. 

Let your right hand and arms relax when you start BS. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, billchao said:

We can be our own worst critics at times. Don't get yourself down because you're focused on that one particular thing, because your hard work is showing in other areas. Good job, man.

Have you seen any difference in your ballstriking on the course?

I’ve really only played once as of late and it was so-so. I imagine I will struggle with “real golf” for a while, but I am trusting the process for long term improvement

-Jonny

9 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

@woodzie264, it seems like you are bending sideways much more than you are rotating in your backswing. Notice how your head tilts towards the target at the top of your BS (A4). Club-hand unit should go a bit more 'around' your spine and not as much up and down the target line. 

Do a shoulder rotation drill with a club held across your chest and make sure you are really pulling BACK (not UP) your right shoulder and right hip as your first movement off the ball. It will feel like you are twisting your spine much more than bending it. That's the feel you want. Of course, make sure you keep your weight forward as always. Seems like you are doing a decent job with that part. 

Let your right hand and arms relax when you start BS. 

I’ve not gotten that feedback yet  - if I have, it’s not been in those terms.  So I need more spine rotation during backswing, got it. Once I can get my right elbow flexion issues resolved, is that my next PP? 

-Jonny

13 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I’ve really only played once as of late and it was so-so. I imagine I will struggle with “real golf” for a while, but I am trusting the process for long term improvement

Playing golf is part of the process. Making swing changes can also require learning how to score well with said changes.

Plus, if you're not playing golf, why are you improving your swing? :-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

(edited)
30 minutes ago, billchao said:

Playing golf is part of the process. Making swing changes can also require learning how to score well with said changes.

Plus, if you're not playing golf, why are you improving your swing? :-)

Absolutely agree  - unfortunately, with things ramping back up at work these last two weeks (I do orthopedics and people are getting out more and breaking things again) while my wife is home with the two boys all day, it’s a lot easier for me to swing and hit balls in the backyard x 15-20mins than go spend hours on the golf course. It’ll happen soon enough. I think I may be able to get a round in sometime mid-June.  

*I typically only play 15-20 rounds per year so I don’t get out as often as many others on TST

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

Once I can get my right elbow flexion issues resolved, is that my next PP? 

You should always think rotate, not bend, no matter what else you're working on. 

Edit: it is a core aspect that makes all distal pieces that much better.

Edited by GolfLug
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

You are progressing @woodzie264. A2 looks fine now. You’ve got that down, which took a bit. Focus on the next part while continuing keeping the takeaway sound. I would recommend to keep working on a shorter backswing. If you watch the take away, it is fine until your shoulders stop turning, but your arms keep moving back. Try and stop where your shoulder turn stops, then take it to A6, stop, feel where the shaft is pointing. Basically, go over COVID Day 3, 4 and 5 again. I really think having a slightly shorter backswing will help align the downswing much better.

It has taken me a long time to get into those positions and I already have a short backswing due to my own flexibility. Be patient. I know you’re probably tired of hearing us say that, but you have too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

19 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You are progressing @woodzie264. A2 looks fine now. You’ve got that down, which took a bit. Focus on the next part while continuing keeping the takeaway sound. I would recommend to keep working on a shorter backswing. If you watch the take away, it is fine until your shoulders stop turning, but your arms keep moving back. Try and stop where your shoulder turn stops, then take it to A6, stop, feel where the shaft is pointing. Basically, go over COVID Day 3, 4 and 5 again. I really think having a slightly shorter backswing will help align the downswing much better.

Thanks brother- my practice swings are much shorter, not sure why my initial “cold swings” are longer, but I get what you’re saying and will keep drilling that into myself

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

5 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Thanks brother- my practice swings are much shorter, not sure why my initial “cold swings” are longer, but I get what you’re saying and will keep drilling that into myself

You’re trying to change a habit that you’ve done for a long time. It’s hard. Golf is Hard ™️! You’ll get it though. Try starting with really short swings to warm up instead of full swings. Break the habit, change the picture.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

25 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

You’re trying to change a habit that you’ve done for a long time. It’s hard. Golf is Hard ™️! You’ll get it though. Try starting with really short swings to warm up instead of full swings. Break the habit, change the picture.

I like that idea - I like it a lot

-Jonny

5/27/20 - club back and up.

1st swing of the day...still more full swing than I’m practicing. 

2nd swing, shorter than first, more typical of practice

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

• Administrator
12 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Figured I’d resurrect this thread for many who have not seen it. Not sure how accurate this Mevo is. I thought it has been pretty dang gone good with using it here this week, but it said my strong grip smash factor was 1.51...sounds a bit absurd. At any rate:

I realize I was hitting into a net, but I just saw this thread and wanted to give it a go. I think it went relatively well considering how awkward it felt. I’ll wait for someone else to confirm before I claim it...I want it to be considered legit

Grip looks super palmy again.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
29 minutes ago, iacas said:

Grip looks super palmy again.

With my standard grip? It wouldn’t surprise me with those “abnormal” ones, but thought I had fixed that issue with normal grip. I’ll check that today. Thanks - it disappointing that one can spend a good amount of time thinking an issue has become a non-issue only to find when it falls off “the radar,” it’s still an issue. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know - I know you guys are gonna be busy this week/weekend and I hope you guys have a lot of fun and laughs. I would love to be there so you could tell me about my grip being super palmy in person 🙂

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

• Administrator
32 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

With my standard grip?

Yes. Very much so. Fingers too parallel to the grip.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets