IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

10/14/20 - I see little difference

Compared to what @woodzie264?

woodzieDTL.thumb.JPG.a78896920307b4c310aa10e057835297.JPG

woodzieFO.thumb.JPG.d9b888a5ae52c8507d2abdcb372dd5cc.JPG

6 months - It looks pretty damn good to me. Nice work. 

That is not an easy fix...actually nothing about changing your swing is easy. Well done. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

Compared to what @woodzie264?

woodzieDTL.thumb.JPG.a78896920307b4c310aa10e057835297.JPG

woodzieFO.thumb.JPG.d9b888a5ae52c8507d2abdcb372dd5cc.JPG

6 months - It looks pretty damn good to me. Nice work. 

That is not an easy fix...actually nothing about changing your swing is easy. Well done. 

Hey, thanks! I would’ve never looked back and done that comparison. I just look at the past month or so, and so I wouldn’t have seen that contrast. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• 3 weeks later...

11/02/20 - straighter right elbow

Sorry DTL not in slow motion

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

15 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

11/02/20 - straighter right elbow

Sorry DTL not in slow motion

That doesn’t look like putting practice 😉

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)
19 minutes ago, billchao said:

That doesn’t look like putting practice 😉

So you’re right. 😏  here’s the thing Bill and @iacas, when I play in a friendly low-pressure round, my putting average 2.0 or less, but when I’m nervous, I am a basket case. I know Eric doesn’t believe the mental part of the game is a big part, but when it comes to my putting, it’s disastrous. I had 5 three-putts and one 4-putt yesterday for an adjusted 91. That’s seven extra strokes in putting alone. I felt I played fairly average for me yesterday tee-green, but the my worst came out around the greens. 

the rounds in the spreadsheet below show my putting woes. The rounds where I’m posting all those extra putts are when I’m playing my buddy for a little bragging rights trophy. The other rounds are when I play with friends just for fun. I’ve tried the “embrace the pressure” thing, but I think I need a sports psychologist 😖A741E8DE-E7D6-47BF-90B0-C9222F366547.thumb.jpeg.830411e5c93b1a9aad4293ad788c6d26.jpeg9AE2CD34-52D0-4CD4-9064-0E187031CBFA.thumb.jpeg.9a2faf50f33e13466f064f5ffb652a02.jpeg

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I know Eric doesn’t believe the mental part of the game is a big part, but when it comes to my putting, it’s disastrous. I had 5 three-putts and one 4-putt yesterday for an adjusted 91.

Who is "Eric"? Because I've always said there are outliers, and only that generally the "mental" side doesn't amount to much. That it's less important than the technique.

And there are folks like you, who don't have a consistent tempo, stroke length, or framework at all for controlling your distance(s). Every putt you hit was done differently, with different tempos, different (relative) stroke lengths back and through, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Who is "Eric"? Because I've always said there are outliers, and only that generally the "mental" side doesn't amount to much. That it's less important than the technique.

And there are folks like you, who don't have a consistent tempo, stroke length, or framework at all for controlling your distance(s). Every putt you hit was done differently, with different tempos, different (relative) stroke lengths back and through, etc.

Erik (sorry - force of habit with someone else), you’re definitely right about that. Some of my strokes are outside-in, some are more straight back and through, some are more stabbed at...so I definitely need to just hunker down to get working on that this winter.  But I guess my point is, despite all that, I don’t tend to struggle with putting average when it doesn’t matter...only when it does. One of the reasons I wanted to plaY with you guys this past weekend was to see if I could enjoy (and be helpful) should I ever have the privilege on being selected for the Newport Cup, but I have my answer for now. I know the anxiety is a sign of weakness, but you’re absolutely right having a repeatable putting stroke and tempo will help. Despite the usual practice time ratios, I’ll focus on the putter.  I will get better. 

-Jonny

• Administrator
Just now, woodzie264 said:

But I guess my point is, despite all that, I don’t tend to struggle with putting average when it doesn’t matter...only when it does.

That doesn't necessarily make it "mental" btw.

Your stroke is probably a lot more natural when it "doesn't matter."

Just now, woodzie264 said:

Despite the usual practice time ratios, I’ll focus on the putter.  I will get better. 

It would be a glaring weakness.

So I agree with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

That doesn't necessarily make it "mental" btw.

Your stroke is probably a lot more natural when it "doesn't matter."

Good point, never thought about it that way

-Jonny

21 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I don’t tend to struggle with putting average when it doesn’t matter...only when it does.

I suggest making your putting practice some kind of competition. With yourself, with a friend, with your wife, whatever. Have some stakes involved. And I don’t necessarily mean a putting match against your wife, but like play a game with yourself and if you don’t make X score or whatever, you have to do the dishes or something.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

While this is not exactly a swing, my putting will take priority at this time. 

working on the gate drill to help eliminate my outside inside stroke:

Started with wider gates and narrowed. Spent approximately 15mins

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

-Jonny

11/06/20 - first putting stroke submission

I did go back and watch the three days of COVID putting drills and realize both my rhythm & tempo are inconsistent. 

I will start working with metronome and varying the lengths of my pendulum to address lag putting/distance control issues.

-Jonny

• Administrator

Are you the boss? Or is nobody there when you're working? What do you do for a living? 🙂

For putting… why are your feet so close together?

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Are you the boss? Or is nobody there when you're working? What do you do for a living? 🙂

For putting… why are your feet so close together?

I am an orthopedic PA and generally work autonomously seeing my own patients with the surgeons being in other locations. 🙂 My Friday patient load doesn't start until 9am, so no worries. To answer your question, I don't know. It has always felt comfortable, but I'm willing to change if you think it will help.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

• Administrator

Just curious. Though with a wider stance you have a more relevant "baseline" for understanding stroke length. Right now, every stroke is "outside your feet" but with a wider stance some strokes would be "big toe to big toe," or "pinkie to pinkie" or "4 inches outside the pinkie toes" or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Just curious. Though with a wider stance you have a more relevant "baseline" for understanding stroke length. Right now, every stroke is "outside your feet" but with a wider stance some strokes would be "big toe to big toe," or "pinkie to pinkie" or "4 inches outside the pinkie toes" or whatever.

understood. I was gonna do the metronome work while putting coins down equidistant from ball to work on stroke length control...I'll widen my stance as well. 

While I know there are many things to address with my putting, in addition to my stance, where would you put my point of emphasis? Besides distance control which is my glaring issue, my typical "miss" regarding my line/bead is to the right. Just focus on the rhythm and pendulum for now? 

-Jonny

• Administrator

Yes. You might miss right because you’re shoving the head at the ball.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

You might miss right because you’re shoving the head at the ball.

2810D190-95FE-4926-B9DD-574FEB5B04EA.gif.2d57ab5eae557c14e07fc37e29d46b46.gif

-Jonny