Jump to content
IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)


woodzie264
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, iacas said:

I'm confused as to the follow-through. It's like the arms just stop moving relative to the chest around impact, and the only thing carrying them through is the chest turning.

I suppose that’s why I chicken wing?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

We’ve never discussed it before and so it’s “raw”...untouched by any instruction. I suppose I developed it over the years because prior to my left shoulder replacement in 2018(?), I had little to no motion in it...with ER being the most limited.  I can always try something new. 

That might be it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Been a while since posting swing. I was prepping for a competitive round with a buddy so I didn’t want swing thoughts in my head. Looking at swing today, I’ve digressed a little.

 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm confused as to the follow-through. It's like the arms just stop moving relative to the chest around impact, and the only thing carrying them through is the chest turning.

I had a version of that follow through for years (not as extreme). Not being too steep coming down and not driving my hips towards the ball fixed that without ever thinking about it directly.

I'd advocate focusing on changing the A3.5 to A4.5 sequence. You're going from deep and shallow to more out in front and steep. Hands moving clockwise in the DTL view. You want the opposite. For me, improving that sequence made it incredibly clear when I was driving my hips towards the ball and when I was giving my hands space to come down on a good plane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
27 minutes ago, mdl said:

 

I had a version of that follow through for years (not as extreme). Not being too steep coming down and not driving my hips towards the ball fixed that without ever thinking about it directly.

I'd advocate focusing on changing the A3.5 to A4.5 sequence. You're going from deep and shallow to more out in front and steep. Hands moving clockwise in the DTL view. You want the opposite. For me, improving that sequence made it incredibly clear when I was driving my hips towards the ball and when I was giving my hands space to come down on a good plane.

Plainly put, if I’m understanding you correctly, you mean I’m coming over the top, right?  I can see where coming over the top jams up that left elbow after impact

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
21 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm confused as to the follow-through. It's like the arms just stop moving relative to the chest around impact, and the only thing carrying them through is the chest turning.

  1.  Is this a problem? If you don't feel like it's a functional problem, just a quirky look, I'm happy to leave it. 
  2.  If it is an issue, could this be a result of me not driving forward through impact enough? I notice the weight transfer through my swing doesn't give the appearance of my hips driving down and through the ball.  
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

 

19 hours ago, iacas said:

You're not.

Indeed. But would you agree the hand action is backwards? I got a ton of value from this (and similar) videos.

 

Edited by mdl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:
  1.  Is this a problem? If you don't feel like it's a functional problem, just a quirky look, I'm happy to leave it. 
  2.  If it is an issue, could this be a result of me not driving forward through impact enough? I notice the weight transfer through my swing doesn't give the appearance of my hips driving down and through the ball.  

Maybe. Look, I mean, I don't know what your actual limitation is there with that left shoulder. If you can't move your left arm in the "abduction" sort of direction much, it's going to tend to look like that a bit.

1 hour ago, mdl said:

Indeed. But would you agree the hand action is backwards? I got a ton of value from this (and similar) videos.

I don't know what "backward" means, I'm just saying he's not over the top at all. Are you seeing what I'm seeing (besides the really poor camera angle that's well out toward the ball)?

01.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
42 minutes ago, iacas said:

Maybe. Look, I mean, I don't know what your actual limitation is there with that left shoulder. If you can't move your left arm in the "abduction" sort of direction much, it's going to tend to look like that a bit.

Since the replacement, I no longer have any ROM limitations with the exception of extreme ER. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

@boogielicious, critiques before I start working on this?

While my weight transfer to left foot is ok (I think), in some of the earlier ones, I think I my upper body weight seems to be leaning backwards. Is that ok? I think the latter ones look a little better

Sorry about the haziness...lens must have been foggy or something

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't know what "backward" means, I'm just saying he's not over the top at all. Are you seeing what I'm seeing (besides the really poor camera angle that's well out toward the ball)?

01.jpg

I'd argue the downswing is steeper than it looks given the camera angle. But granted those positions aren't egregious. I'm talking about the comparison below. @woodzie264's hands are moving clockwise on the DTL view from A3 to A5. Setting up the hip thrust and then yank upwards to avoid gouging it. Scott's hands go slightly counterclockwise, with hands going down from A4 into the slot.

signal-2021-03-30-170858.gif

signal-2021-03-30-170855.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, billchao said:

@woodzie264, you’ve done enough swing videos by now to be able to set up your camera properly. I’m not saying I always get it perfect, but this last one isn’t even close 😃

I suck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, mdl said:

I'd argue the downswing is steeper than it looks given the camera angle. But granted those positions aren't egregious. I'm talking about the comparison below. @woodzie264's hands are moving clockwise on the DTL view from A3 to A5. Setting up the hip thrust and then yank upwards to avoid gouging it. Scott's hands go slightly counterclockwise, with hands going down from A4 into the slot.

I see what you are saying, and I realize I’ve had this swing problem for a long time. At some point, I will have to address it...and maybe that time is now?
 

It just hasn’t been my BIGGEST problem thus far and so I’ve been working on other things. I appreciate the feedback though - I’m very receptive to all criticism as I have a lot of issues. 
 

FWIW, I don’t think Erik was disagreeing with your assessment, he was simply pointing out that MY interpretation of what you were saying wasn’t accurate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
1 hour ago, mdl said:

I'd argue the downswing is steeper than it looks given the camera angle.

A tiny bit. Which is why camera angles matter.

1 hour ago, mdl said:

But granted those positions aren't egregious. I'm talking about the comparison below. @woodzie264's hands are moving clockwise on the DTL view from A3 to A5. Setting up the hip thrust and then yank upwards to avoid gouging it. Scott's hands go slightly counterclockwise, with hands going down from A4 into the slot.

Yeah, meh. He's deeper than Scott, so he's supposed to return even deeper than that? Why?

Plenty of PGA Tour players have less deep lead arms on the downswing than the backswing.

And @woodzie264, I'm talking about how your arm stops adducting, and you show me a video where your arms finish in front of your chest? 🙂

Can you make a "normal" looking follow-through? At any speed? It's not that important, more of a curiosity than anything. It's not like Lee Westwood and Jordan Spieth don't make a chicken wing work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct links for Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package. Save 10% on Mevo with coupon code "IACAS" as well.
  • Posts

    • He beat world no. 1 yesterday. So where's the problem? 😊
    • Tried this today on the putting green after the round.  I was pleasantly surprised at how accurate I was with this.  Would look at the hole, let my body align itself, look down at the putter to get it aligned, then look at the hole and make the stroke.  Within 5 feet or so I could still see the putter in my peripheral vision.  Longer putts - getting to 20 - 30 feet of course I could not.  Overall distance and accuracy was much better as I consistently had the ball stopping with 18" of the hole, many of them less than 12" or less.   A great confidence builder, will be making "heads up" a part of my warm-up routine.   What caused me to think about this today - one was the recent discussion about Jordan Spieth, second was the absolute abandon my now six year old grandson has.  He just walks up to the ball and makes the stroke and it looks like he is seeing the hole and not overly worried about anything else.  
    • Sorry for the embed error....so again, would fixing the steepening in the first part of the downswing improve my ball striking? The pro was not too concerned about it because the club eventually shallowed in the lower part of the downswing. But I don't know....  
    • World #1 Sheffler is +6 - looks like he will be going home as well. 
    • So would fixing the steepening at the first part of the downswing improve my ball striking?  <iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nGs1cUbma4A" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>   <iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/beJhUhotrck" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe> GEARS 7 iron down the line 5-17-22 GEARS 7 iron face on 5/20/22
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Burge
      Burge
      (43 years old)
    2. NoobSwingz
      NoobSwingz
      (37 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...