IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

At work today over lunch break; my FO angle is a little off, but didn't have time to re-record it.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

At work today over lunch break; my FO angle is a little off, but didn't have time to re-record it.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Setup and backswing can be better.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Setup and backswing can be better.

are you wanting me to play the ball further back in my stance? Is that why my upper half is set up angled that way?

Nevermind...I'll check out the set up thread

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

are you wanting me to play the ball further back in my stance? Is that why my upper half is set up angled that way?

Nevermind...I'll check out the set up thread

Your hips are back and your head is forward at setup. Then you move your head even further forward during the backswing.

Red = bad, green = good.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Your hips are back and your head is forward at setup. Then you move your head even further forward during the backswing.

Red = bad, green = good.

I think I get it - I will find a good example and try to reproduce it. Thanks for quick response

-Jonny

working on:

1. new set up (hip forward, head back, better spine axis)

2. with centered hip turn - admittedly this feels awkward, and it really sucks for now...but it'll get better I'm sure. 

(yes, I know I come over the top on my DTL view :8))

I feel like my head is still moving forward with the initiation of the down swing...yes?

I hope to get out to the range tomorrow (if they aren't closed because of the winter storm) so that I can take better videos with more space...

-Jonny

It's 29* outside, thus more garage swings

-Jonny

the more I work on this, the worse I get. I'm going to take a week or so. As a college wrestler, I thought myself fairly coordinated, clearly the struggle is real.

-Jonny

• Administrator
13 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

the more I work on this, the worse I get.

In what way?

41 minutes ago, iacas said:

In what way?

I feel I'm creating a slew of other issues. Maybe I'm not...I understand the necessity of change in order to improve. I recognize I need to be patient. I just feel I'm sliding backwards...which perhaps right where I need to be?

-Jonny

• Administrator
9 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I feel I'm creating a slew of other issues. Maybe I'm not...I understand the necessity of change in order to improve. I recognize I need to be patient. I just feel I'm sliding backwards...which perhaps right where I need to be?

I don't really understand that.

IMO this is your priority, so you work on this. This piece is getting better yes?

1 hour ago, iacas said:

IMO this is your priority, so you work on this. This piece is getting better yes?

I think so. I'm not questioning the process... just frustrated that I haven't gotten it by now. And when I watch my efforts on video, it looks ugly. 

I will get it...

-Jonny

Priority piece: centered hip turn

-Jonny

in the video from yesterday, I see my head continuing to dip down with initiation of downswing and my hips STILL do not rotate as much as I think they should...but I'm no expert and am only speculating. I'll keep at it.

-Jonny

Here's an idea for you (with all the caveats cuz you know where I'm at as a golfer).

When I start to transition from conscious incompetence to conscious competence on something, it can often come by breaking through the awkwardness of the feel by pretending I'm in one of the Peter Kostas super slow mo videos.

I'll video myself going painfully slow and making sure things are smooth and athletic - not mechanical in any way. The key is to be like the most incredibly flexible, relaxed, and pure form that you can totally fake at that speed. Cuz let's face it, when we are learning a movement, we hafta fake it a bit first.  

Find some pro whose hip turn matches all the criteria you're looking for and watch how smooth it transitions from turning around to bumping forward to turning back through. Focus on just that. Smooth, and almost effortless- even if at 1/10 speed or something. For my hip turn (not that I'm perfect), I did and still do a lot of that with my arms crossed in front of me. 

I'll do corny stuff like that, and eventually it breaks down my bad form, and the good form starts to creep into my swing.

Anyway, just trying to share some of the craziness that seems to help me. I've a long winter of this stuff, and I am getting familiar now with the process of breaking old physical habits. Not easy.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

32 minutes ago, RandallT said:

For my hip turn (not that I'm perfect), I did and still do a lot of that with my arms crossed in front of me. 

Thanks @RandallT - I actually think my wall drill with arms crossed looks pretty good....it just gets awkward once I put a club in my hand. I will go slower - thanks!

-Jonny

I don't know that it looks any better, but it's feeling more comfortable...smoother. 

Priority piece: centered hip turn

-Jonny