IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

(edited)
29 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

Refer to Day 3 Practice Plan:

image.png.648d22cef46d13911b7d14a718160059.png

image.png.07df396a67cda1019930b4ef8fbbbbe6.png

Right arm getting too far behind you. I've had the same issue. Day 3 drill is excellent for this.Β 

Golf is hard...changing your golf swing is even harder.Β πŸ˜‰

I see what you’re saying after rewatching. MyΒ right elbow flexing too much bringing my right arm too far up behind me, correct? Can you help me withΒ where the club needs to be at the top in the DTL view? Assuming my elbow flexing less improves, am I too deep/laid off or am I ok?Β 

Edited by woodzie264

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
1 hour ago, coachjimsc said:

Refer to Day 3 Practice Plan:

image.png.648d22cef46d13911b7d14a718160059.png

image.png.07df396a67cda1019930b4ef8fbbbbe6.png

Right arm getting too far behind you. I've had the same issue. Day 3 drill is excellent for this.Β 

Golf is hard...changing your golf swing is even harder.Β πŸ˜‰

So this feels like I shortened my backswing to keep my right elbow less than 90*. It’s subtle, but improved. Is this what you were taking about?Β 

Β 

Edited by woodzie264

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

37 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

So this feels like I shortened my backswing to keep my right elbow less than 90*. It’s subtle, but improved. Is this what you were taking about?

Yes.

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

Can you help me withΒ where the club needs to be at the top in the DTL view?

image.png.4af39032cc92e9cb8e72ae5410040816.png

As Erik says in this video, make sure you are turning to get there not just lifting your arms.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway:Β GBBΒ Epic SpeedΒ 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3WΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:Β  Epic FlashΒ 21Β deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway:Β Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping:Β G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges:Β :ping:Β Glide 58 deg
Putter:Β :bettinardi:Β ArmlockΒ Β :aimpoint:Β Express
Β :titleist:Β golf bag, Blue Tees RF

@woodzie264, you're turning your shoulders a bit flat. Add some of the Day 2 stuff to what you're working on.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)

Filmed a couple of swings today with no warm up withΒ a little shorter backswing (trying to keep right elbow from flexing so much)Β and they felt awesome, ball contact felt great. But, when I watched the video, I saw why. My swing started look like it used to, more laid off, and it looked like I hadn’t spent the past 2-3 weeks working on club head back/hands-in on takeaway. I haven’t learned a thing. @billchao, you were right...regression is real.Β 
Β 

Β 

Edited by woodzie264

Β 

Β -Jonny

1 minute ago, woodzie264 said:

I haven’t learned a thing.

That's not true. You definitely learned somethingΒ :-)

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

That's not true. You definitely learned somethingΒ :-)

Just posted the videos. You’re right, regression is realΒ 

Β 

Β -Jonny

1 minute ago, woodzie264 said:

Just posted the videos. You’re right, regression is realΒ 

But now you know. And you also know you're probably not ready to move onto a different piece because the last one hasn't baked in, yet. As soon as you shifted focus, the piece was gone. I don't know if you're able to play golf right now, but if you are, your on course swings are probably closer to these than the ones of you practicing and focusing on making the change.

As @coachjimscΒ mentioned, making swing changes is hard. Really hard. I may not know a lot about the golf swing, but I sure know a hell of a lot about the process of making changes. If you have any questions or need any advice, just give me a shout. I'm always around.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

But now you know. And you also know you're probably not ready to move onto a different piece because the last one hasn't baked in, yet. As soon as you shifted focus, the piece was gone. I don't know if you're able to play golf right now, but if you are, your on course swings are probably closer to these than the ones of you practicing and focusing on making the change.

As @coachjimscΒ mentioned, making swing changes is hard. Really hard. I may not know a lot about the golf swing, but I sure know a hell of a lot about the process of making changes. If you have any questions or need any advice, just give me a shout. I'm always around.

Thanks. It’s just humbling...it’s back to β€œhands-in, club head back”... geesh. I’ll repost in a couple of weeks

Β 

Β -Jonny

Thanks. It’s just humbling...it’s back to β€œhands-in, club head back”... geesh. I’ll repost in a couple of weeks

Try and change the mindset and feel of the backswing. Eliminate β€˜club head back’ thought and work on just the feel of the hands, arms, shouldersΒ taking the club back without wrists hinging at all. You do this in your rehearsals when you practice. But when you do a real swing, you hinge your wrists almost like a pitch shot (right hand feels like it’s dealing cards). Make it all feel like one piece. You will hinge later naturally. Get to A2 and A3 without hinging. It will feel like you are holding the shaft straight, but you will see you are just hinging less.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

it’s back to β€œhands-in, club head back”

Hands in, clubhead up. The Day 1 stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

I'm a duffer so take my words with a grain of salt, but I have/had the flaw where I roll my wrists at takeaway and get the club way behind me quickly.Β  One thing I found that was helpful was in one of iacas's COVID-19 training videos, where he mentioned that the right palm (for a right-handed golfer) should be facing towards the ground at takeaway.Β  It was just one small comment that passes quickly, but to me that was very helpful to get me to stop moving my wrists that way.Β  If you turn your wrists, the palm would face up.

8 minutes ago, Effington said:

I'm a duffer so take my words with a grain of salt, but I have/had the flaw where I roll my wrists at takeaway and get the club way behind me quickly.Β  One thing I found that was helpful was in one of iacas's COVID-19 training videos, where he mentioned that the right palm (for a right-handed golfer) should be facing towards the ground at takeaway.Β  It was just one small comment that passes quickly, but to me that was very helpful to get me to stop moving my wrists that way.Β  If you turn your wrists, the palm would face up.

yeah - I appreciate that. that had been my PP for about a month and I had thought I had conquered it...low and behold, not the case

Β 

Β -Jonny

• Administrator

When you're done with that you're going to have to pay attention to the club face. It's wide open at the top, is wide open the whole way down, and is a big reason you swing across (left) the ball.
01.jpg02.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

4/24/20 - hands in, club head up. Trying to keep clubface closed. Struggling. I had some swings better at one part than the other and vice versa. This is just one. I’ll keep working

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Β 

Β -Jonny

33 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

4/24/20 - hands in, club head up. Trying to keep clubface closed. Struggling. I had some swings better at one part than the other and vice versa. This is just one. I’ll keep working

Β 

Try only going back to A3 to start, almost like punch shots. It looks good to A3, but you reach back very far at the top.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Try only going back to A3 to start, almost like punch shots. It looks good to A3, but you reach back very far at the top.

Ok - will do. Thanks, man. I appreciate you taking the time to watch and comment

Β 

Β -Jonny

8 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Ok - will do. Thanks, man. I appreciate you taking the time to watch and comment

I’ve literally been doing this drill since last December. I do it with driver, 6 iron and PW.
Β 

You should set your drillΒ up a similarΒ way with your priority piece. Take back to A2, stop and look, then to A3, stop, thenΒ take it back a touch more then swing through to A9. Do it at 50% speed at first. You are trying to retrain your muscles to swing in a new pattern. It takes time.

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread