IGNORED

2017 Newport Cup Selection Thread

iacas

Note: This thread is 1534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

40 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Blue Team?  Have to poke a little fun to start the comradery. 

97de67879c264e0e25d1bd334888d29e--sport-humor-golf-stuff.jpg

Now can someone help my find my ball in the woods? 

If I did my math correctly, the average age difference in the two teams is 21.2 years.  The East is more than one entire @Pretzel older than the West.  The individual ages I found are (a couple are somewhat educated guesses or I knew the year but not the month):

West: 19,27,30,30,39,43 and East: 37,45,53,55,61,64

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The best part about being an old man, @DaveP043, confirm this, is that we have a slew of jokes and put downs of those less experienced golfers.  Unfortunately, all these inexperienced compatriots and opponents are too self-indulgent and unaware to appreciate them.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

The best part about being an old man, @DaveP043, confirm this, is that we have a slew of jokes and put downs of those less experienced golfers.  Unfortunately, all these inexperienced compatriots and opponents are too self-indulgent and unaware to appreciate them.

I don't get it.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

It's hard to hear snide comments when you're 50 yards further down the fairway...

25 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

It's hard to hear snide comments when you're 50 yards further down the fairway...

It is way past our bedtimes, you are going to have to wait for a snide response until we all get up at 5am.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

If I did my math correctly, the average age difference in the two teams is 21.2 years.  The East is more than one entire @Pretzel older than the West.  The individual ages I found are (a couple are somewhat educated guesses or I knew the year but not the month):

West: 19,27,30,30,39,43 and East: 37,45,53,55,61,64

I'm 43...and had lasik so I can find my ball just fine.  I won't conveniently be able to track yours as it lands deep in the pines.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

I'm 43...and had lasik so I can find my ball just fine.  I won't conveniently be able to track yours as it lands deep in the pines.

Whoops, my bad.  I'm probably older than TWO East players then.

I will trust that the Marshals and galleries will help me find my wayward balls.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Whoops, my bad.  I'm probably older than TWO East players then.

I will trust that the Marshals and galleries will help me find my wayward balls.

I don't think the llamas are going to help you. :-P

I love the banter here

This thread reminds me of a comedy reality show I had an idea for which 8 regular golfers (friends) traveled and played tour courses (not on tour, though) for a month or so. I think it would be hilarious to have them all "mic'd up" so you could hear everything that goes on during the round - it would give perspective on how average golfers would play on tour spec courses. There would be banter, side games, betting, good shots, bad shots, night life, drinking, cigars, fishing (for me of course), cussing, drama, and most importantly, GOLF. There would be some sort of prize at the end. Playing with @kpaulhusand our weekend group made me think of it - multiple HUGE personalities and some good to bad golf all the way around.

Anyway, just an idea - if anyone goes live with this, just let me be involved :)

3 minutes ago, tsdugger said:

I love the banter here

This thread reminds me of a comedy reality show I had an idea for which 8 regular golfers (friends) traveled and played tour courses (not on tour, though) for a month or so. I think it would be hilarious to have them all "mic'd up" so you could hear everything that goes on during the round - it would give perspective on how average golfers would play on tour spec courses. There would be banter, side games, betting, good shots, bad shots, night life, drinking, cigars, fishing (for me of course), cussing, drama, and most importantly, GOLF. There would be some sort of prize at the end. Playing with @kpaulhusand our weekend group made me think of it - multiple HUGE personalities and some good to bad golf all the way around.

Anyway, just an idea - if anyone goes live with this, just let me be involved :)

You should read the 2015 Newport Cup matches thread. There was plenty of drama, to say the least. It's a hell of a tournament. Usually pretty chill at night because 36 holes of competition each day really takes it out of you. 

For those who haven't noticed the new entry in the menu above, folks can read all about the Newport Cup, with links to various threads about each cup, like the matches thread for 2015 @kpaulhus mentioned:

https://thesandtrap.com/newport-cup/

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
4 hours ago, RandallT said:

For those who haven't noticed the new entry in the menu above, folks can read all about the Newport Cup, with links to various threads about each cup, like the matches thread for 2015 @kpaulhus mentioned:

https://thesandtrap.com/newport-cup/

I'm planning to add the earlier years in there too.

• iacas unfeatured and unpinned this topic
Note: This thread is 1534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!