IGNORED

2017 Newport Cup Selection Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

newport_cup_banner_2017.png

Well, the time has come!

It's February 28, and as promised, @mvmac and I will be choosing our first team members from those who have completed their full application in this topic:

And of course, the main discussion topic is here:

Mike and I will be choosing one team member on the last day of February, March, April, May, June, and July. To be eligible, players must:

• Be able to participate*, of course!
  • Have a valid handicap index in the single digits, or in exceptional cases (injury, for example), be virtually certain to be there by October
  • Be a member in good standing. Post counts matter, as do the general regard for the member. Bribes help. Just kidding!
  • Complete the application.

If you're selected, your "Candidate" badge will be replaced by a "2017 Team Member" badge.

* Participation is not only the ability to attend, but to pay about $750 to Mike within a reasonable time frame of being selected. The small fee covers your golf and lodging as well as any goodies we manage to acquire.

This thread will serve a few purposes, but the primary goal is simply to announce the winners and discuss the selections as they're made. So, without further delay…

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned and featured this topic
  • Administrator

The First Selection for the 2017 Newport Cup, East Coast (Blue) Team is…

Emma Stone, La La Land! No, not really.
@coachjimsc!

Jim was my only choice, but that is just a matter of bookkeeping because I'm glad he applied and he was at the top of my list as soon as he did.

• Jim's currently sporting a 1.0 index. In some handicap competitions this can be a negative, but since we take a percentage of handicaps and there's a heavy team play component, I think lower handicaps can be quite effective.
  • Jim's been a member here at TST since 2010, and though his post total could use a boost so we can get to know him a bit better before October, he has posted more frequently in recent months.
  • Jim's somewhat local, so travel will be a breeze.
  • Jim's somewhat local, so the golf will suit him and he'll have a little local knowledge.
  • Jim's a steady golfer, with a solid all-around game.
  • Jim's a great guy, and has worked with me on evolvr, and done well there.
  • Jim's (I just want to see how many times I can say "Jim's") a new guy to the Newport Cup, and right now I'm leaning toward refreshing the team to give the experience to more players.
  • Jim's GAME GOLF profile is here if you want to creep on him a little bit. :-)

So, all that said… Welcome, Jim, to the 2017 Newport Cup (Eventual) Winning Team! We're happy to have you.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My first selection for the 2017 West Coast Red team...... is a good dude who is in a class all by himself when it comes to winning member of the month awards, he is also famous (or infamous) for his purple sweaters.......

Red Team

@Golfingdad

Drew joined TST in 2012 and has become one of the most active and welcoming members. He represents what TST is all about. 

What's amazing is that he manages practicing his swing, playing golf and talking about golf with other passionate (some may say wacko) people online while being a great dad to 3 kids. 

Drew's swing and handicap are always trending in the right direction and I love forward to him kicking some Blue Team butt at Talamore/Mid-Pines!  I'm predicting a lot of long drives and clutch putts from Drew.

Welcome to the team and let's have a great time in Pinehurst! :beer:

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Congratulations to both @coachjimsc and @Golfingdad, each one a  great selection by the captains.  :beer:

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Wow thank you Erik @iacas.

I am truly honored and humbled by being the first or any selection for that matter. (it was the blue shirt attire that put me over the top wasn't it.) ;-)

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the selections over the coming months and meeting everyone in Oct.

Congratulations to @Golfingdad on his selection as well.

Go East team!

• Upvote 3

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

I am truly honored and humbled by being the first or any selection for that matter. (it was the blue shirt attire that put me over the top wasn't it.) ;-)

Maybe.

Speaking of which, that shirt… in your avatar… hmmmmm…

27 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the selections over the coming months and meeting everyone in Oct.

Yes sir!

17 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Congrats to you as well @coachjimsc - can't wait to meet you ... in nearly 8 loooong months. :~(

Yeah, it's a long ways out. :-)

34 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

Wow thank you Erik @iacas.

Congratulations to @Golfingdad on his selection as well.

Go East team!

Congratulations.  Maybe time to change that avatar to one where you are wearing blue??  ;-)  Edit: Great minds think alike - nice!

Brian Kuehn

I think that shirt was coral.

But yeah, fixed.

Thanks @bkuehn1952!

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

11 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Congratulations.  Maybe time to change that avatar...

:beer: congrats @coachjimsc! Nice new blue NC award!

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Mike and I will be choosing one team member on the last day of February, March, April, May, June, and July

Love the monthly selections versus all at once.  Adds some suspense and intrigue.

Congratulations to @Golfingdad and @coachjimsc.  Two great choices.

• Upvote 3

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Congrats @coachjimsc and @Golfingdad

• Upvote 2

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Congratulations guys!

• Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Congrats guys!!!! 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!