Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
iacas

Modernized Rules Discussion: Ball in Motion

Note: This thread is 899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

21 posts / 2183 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Hard to disagree with this one.  Unless you're a sadist. 

Edited by dsc123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I feel bad for all the players that have never had the pleasure of bouncing a ball off some part of their body and incurring a penalty. Ha, ha, ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm just starting to dig into the Rules stuff now, so I'm starting with the easy ones...this seems like exactly the kind of thing that simplification of the rules should entail.

t eliminates an unnecessary distinction, without really affecting play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This applies to double-hitting the ball too, no?

They were saying on Morning Drive today that this would still be a penalty. I haven't read through this part of the PDF yet, but it says "you or your equipment" in the link in the first post, so… Double hits also seem to be exempt (no penalty), no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

This applies to double-hitting the ball too, no?

They were saying on Morning Drive today that this would still be a penalty. I haven't read through this part of the PDF yet, but it says "you or your equipment" in the link in the first post, so… Double hits also seem to be exempt (no penalty), no?

Capture.JPG

Depends how you read the sentence...I read it differently than you.  I think "or any of their equipment" only applies to the last part after the comma ("the opponent or any other player").

So, the list of things that don't result in a penalty:

  • hits the player
  • hits the opponent
  • hits any other player
  • hits the equipment of an opponent or any other player

They'd need to clarify the language on this one...but I think the intent was only to add "the player" to the list of things, not equipment.  I'm not sure, but that's my impression.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

They'd need to clarify the language on this one...but I think the intent was only to add "the player" to the list of things, not equipment.

Yeah, I think they mean the equipment to mean not your own.

So double-hitting would still be a penalty, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, iacas said:

This applies to double-hitting the ball too, no?

They were saying on Morning Drive today that this would still be a penalty. I haven't read through this part of the PDF yet, but it says "you or your equipment" in the link in the first post, so… Double hits also seem to be exempt (no penalty), no?

I hope not. You double hit, it should count. I bit of clarification on the wording would help eliminate the confusion.

Of course, if it was the opposite, it would open up trick shots as a single stroke shot! :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Perhaps the difference is your club hits the ball rather than the ball hits the club.  Still, I have heard several people bring up the "double hit" scenario so the Rule will need to address that specific situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Perhaps the difference is your club hits the ball rather than the ball hits the club.  Still, I have heard several people bring up the "double hit" scenario so the Rule will need to address that specific situation.

Rule 11 is vague, I agree. I haven't read through all of the new proposed rules in the PDF yet, but unless this is covered elsewhere, the rules seem to read as if this is no penalty.

Which would be somewhat consistent - why would you not penalize for a ball hitting you in the arm, but penalize for a ball hitting the clubhead twice? Would you ever try to hit a moving ball intentionally after you'd already hit it? Because if so, then even 11.2a applies (though 11.2a seems like it could use some clarification too: does "touching" the ball mean with the clubhead or shaft of the club you're swinging?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I'm ok with this too, but also agree that a double hit should still be a penalty.

Why?

Why should it matter if the ball hits your hand or the shaft of the club two inches away from your hand? What's the difference between the clubhead hitting the ball again on the follow-through or the ball bouncing off a bunker lip into your chest?

It's not like the double-hit is intentional and it puts the player's ball in a better spot - often it's much worse.

Of course, if you intentionally deflect the ball, that's still a penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Why?

Why should it matter if the ball hits your hand or the shaft of the club two inches away from your hand? What's the difference between the clubhead hitting the ball again on the follow-through or the ball bouncing off a bunker lip into your chest?

It's not like the double-hit is intentional and it puts the player's ball in a better spot - often it's much worse.

Of course, if you intentionally deflect the ball, that's still a penalty.

Because while there are exceptions, in the vast majority of double hits, the player benefits.  It usually happens with a bit of a chunk, and the follow through catches up to the ball and advances it significantly. 

I think someone on Morning Drive commented, tongue-in-cheek, that a shot that bad should be penalized regardless!  :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Because while there are exceptions, in the vast majority of double hits, the player benefits.  It usually happens with a bit of a chunk, and the follow through catches up to the ball and advances it significantly. 

I don't think you have any real evidence of any of that.

I only have a few experiences. Of the maybe five double hits I've seen, at least one guy double-hit his ball into a water hazard (it deflected off the hosel straight left), one guy bladed it over the green IIRC, and the others I don't even remember - they aren't significant and don't stand out in my mind as being good.

And that's maybe four over 20+ years of golf.

I remember an LPGA Tour player a few years ago that wasn't even sure if she double-hit the ball. I think she was on the back side in the thick grass over a bunker or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've double hit 2 or 3 times, and I guarantee that it didn't result in a better shot.  I ended up badly and then had to take the insult of a penalty stroke on top of it.  A penalty for a double hit is completely unwarranted in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...