IGNORED

Two Strokes for OB Instead of Stroke/Distance

iacas
Note: This thread is 2560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OB Question  

65 members have voted

1. 1. (In tournament play) if an alternative for stroke and distance allowed you to play from a spot near where my original ball was lost or went OB for two (2) penalty strokes, I would be…

• Very likely to use it.
    • Somewhat likely to use it.
    • Unlikely to use it.
    • Very unlikely to use it.

So maybe a dumb question, but as someone who plays the provisional when I can, and understands the concerns the committee has, how does that work when it comes to water hazards? One of their thoughts was you dont know where the ball crossed out-of-bounds accurately? Doesnt that apply to water hazards as well?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Voted: Somewhat likely to use it for cases like this.

Played the Argentina Amateur (same like the US Amateur) this year, and there was a Par 5 against the wind where at 230 carry (my driving carry against the wind) the space between water left and OB right was just 60 yards width. Been my dispersion at the moment arround 90/100 yards that was 33% chance of hitting it OB or water (with a shorter teeshot.. And if you hit it in the water it count´s as OB because you never get to cross the water and have to re-tee.

On my first tee-shot on that hole i was so nervous because i wanted to avoid the OB´s. I hit a low hook into water and have to rehit. More nervous for my 3ed shot i managed to drive the ball in play in the rigth rough.
Let´s say my 1st ball goes OB rigth and someone told me that i could drop and hit 4th close to the OB i will definitly take the drop.

I voted somewhat likely.  I can think of a hole I regularly play with ob tight down the left with few trees and water right.  Par five.  Ball down the left can land in play and run onto hardpan off fairway and ob if hooky or what have you due to the subtle slope of the land.  Dropping in the area in play is not that bad.  In that case I would prefer to take yardage since I know I'm not blocked out and could drop not in a terrible lie.  

Currently anything left in question is a provisional off the tee.

Another hole is dogleg right tree lined.  If you catch a tree on the right trying to cut the dogleg and lose the ball you are blocked out anyways with a drop,  It's not a case where the ball should ever be lost but due to crap conditions often the area has not been mowed and lately is soft.  I've lost a few there.  In a tournament I would retee if it was lost, even if the rule change was instated, if I dropped I know there's zero chance of hitting the green.   95 percent chance of retee not being blocked out.

Edited by Jack Watson

• Administrator
21 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

So maybe a dumb question, but as someone who plays the provisional when I can, and understands the concerns the committee has, how does that work when it comes to water hazards? One of their thoughts was you dont know where the ball crossed out-of-bounds accurately? Doesnt that apply to water hazards as well?

Two quick things in response to that:

1. Water hazards usually don't have thick bushes or trees or tall grass around them. You can generally see where your ball last crossed, unlike OB, which is often obscured in a way that makes knowing this point more difficult.
  2. Who is to say that they care at all where it last crossed: when you hit your ball OB, it's a stiffer penalty than having your ball on the course. OB is not even on the course - you cannot play your ball, etc. It's a stiff penalty. So in that sense, comparing it to water hazards is pointless - they may never care about where it last crossed, simply where it winds up. Off the course = stroke and distance. Same with a lost ball - it doesn't matter if you saw where it was going, you lost it, so you don't get to drop anywhere along where it traveled.
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/17/2017 at 10:03 AM, Fourputt said:

He and I would not be playing much golf together if he was adamant about that.  In my opinion, there is a significant attitude issue with anyone who would try to block me from playing by the rules.  I've never had a friend who would have any issues with me playing the way I feel is right.

I usually reload a provisional. But if I get someone like this, I'll drop a ball... not in the rough, but in the middle of the fairway. Why not? I'm taking a two stroke penalty for my "fake provisional" and playing from the wrong place. I might as well have a decent lie, right? That usually shuts up people real quick, and I get to hit my provisional off the tee.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 2560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!