Sign in to follow this  
nevets88

This is what a grenade buried under a green looks like

Note: This thread is 1363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 posts / 1515 viewsLast Reply

Literally, fire in the hole! Not sure if my danger radar would pick this up right away if it was me.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is a perfect rock to throw in the middle of a lake.  It would be hot potato-like hands action once I pick it up tho.  Get it and throw fast... haha

7 minutes ago, phillyk said:

This is a perfect rock to throw in the middle of a lake.  It would be hot potato-like hands action once I pick it up tho.  Get it and throw fast... haha

That's one way to catch some fish. :-P

Looks like a body only.  No detonator.  My best guess, an older, inert M61 practice grenade. Vietnam era.  Modern M67's are much more spherical.

Editted to add that I just read the whole post.  More likely a WWII pineapple.  Has to be the old Awase Meadows course on Okinawa.  I played that course dozens of times back in the late 80's.  Always a "blast"!  :-D

6 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Somebody must have made a quad on that hole...

Yeah, it was definitely a blow up hole for them.

2 hours ago, dkolo said:

Yeah, it was definitely a blow up hole for them.

Gives a whole new meaning to pin in or out?

19 hours ago, David in FL said:

Looks like a body only.  No detonator.  My best guess, an older, inert M61 practice grenade. Vietnam era.  Modern M67's are much more spherical.

Editted to add that I just read the whole post.  More likely a WWII pineapple.  Has to be the old Awase Meadows course on Okinawa.  I played that course dozens of times back in the late 80's.  Always a "blast"!  :-D

How likely is it live? How does bomb disposal defuse it?

19 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

How likely is it live? How does bomb disposal defuse it?

You're looking at the top of the grenade where the striker assembly and fuse would have screwed into the grenade.  It has no fuse now, that's why I thought it might be an inert dummy grenade.  That still could be the case, if they had used that area for training prior to building the course.  Without the fuse, it can't explode.

They won't even normally attempt to diffuse unexploded ordnance though.  They simply take it to a disposal range and blow it up.

3 hours ago, David in FL said:

You're looking at the top of the grenade where the striker assembly and fuse would have screwed into the grenade.  It has no fuse now, that's why I thought it might be an inert dummy grenade.  That still could be the case, if they had used that area for training prior to building the course.  Without the fuse, it can't explode.

They won't even normally attempt to diffuse unexploded ordnance though.  They simply take it to a disposal range and blow it up.

If I ever play on a course near a potential battleground/training site, I want you in my group. :-D

There is a course in MA, Red Tail Golf Course, that is located where Ft Devens used to be. Occasionally there is a news story about someone in the woods finding ordinance near the course in the woods. They tell you not to touch it. About 20 years back, a kid found a grenade and put it in his back pack. It went off and he died.

So I would always err on the side of caution

I'm going to assume that grenade was used in an effort to stop a certain critter from terrorizing the golf course...
bill-murray-caddyshack-quotes-quotesgram

Note: This thread is 1363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!