IGNORED

Golf Ball Ranking by Everyday Golfers

Note: This thread is 2535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf Ball Ranking by Everyday Golfers  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Price points, marketing, compression, spin rates, number of cores, cover material, oh my! Considering all or none of the above, what are your top 3 golf ball brands?

• Bridgestone
    • Callaway
    • Pinnacle
    • Snell
    • Srixon
    • Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • Top-Flite
    • Volvik
    • Wilson

ProV1x

ProV1

Velocity

If I'm low on those (likely never will), I switch to any Callaway, then Taylormade is the 3rd bin to broach.  Not played enough to know which models within the brands,  I'd use.  I'd play anything really, just trying to stay consistent.

(I've found so many of these that the like new stock I have will never run out.  I find more balls than I lose pretty much every round, sometimes by a LOT - My inventory of found like new balls is mostly Titleist by a lot, then Nike, then Callaways.  The rest are smaller inventory by a bit.  Anything with even the slightest scuff or discoloration is pretty much donated to the course or school or hit into the woods.)

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am using the Callaway Super Soft.   It's about $21 per dozen, and I can't see paying almost twice that for the Callaway Chrome Soft. 

I used to play the Titleist DT Solo, and then the successor Titleist ball, same ball with a different name, the ones that were also about $21 per dozen, but then I got the Callaway Super Soft on sale somewhere, and it just happened to coincide with a dramatic increase in my driving distance, which probably has nothing to do with the ball, but there we are. 

4 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

I am using the Callaway Super Soft.   It's about $21 per dozen, and I can't see paying almost twice that for the Callaway Chrome Soft. 

I used to play the Titleist DT Solo, and then the successor Titleist ball, same ball with a different name, the ones that were also about $21 per dozen, but then I got the Callaway Super Soft on sale somewhere, and it just happened to coincide with a dramatic increase in my driving distance, which probably has nothing to do with the ball, but there we are. 

I'm playing the Super Soft and just recently the Callaway Hex Soft which are extremely similar to the Super Soft.  This is a ball branded for and only available at Costco and is $30 for two dozen.

I have a large selection of used balls in a bin.  For the longest time my fave was prov1 392.  Nice and soft...Good spin.  Used most of them last couple years. 

I voted Pinnacle,  Titleist,  Wilson.  

When I was hitting old school clubs I was using some Wilson staff something(urethane cover and soft) so as not to mess up my Mac m85 woods.  They were nice but I have moved on.  Good greenside spin soft off the irons.  Sold my gamer vintage set and only have a couple sets of woods left.

Lately I decided to not be such a ball snob and start using the Pinnacle Gold up.  Yes you are very limited in the around the green performance.  There's almost no spin.  I play accordingly.  I find they work really well for me with my long game though.  They just don't seem to ever curve much.  The feel is quite clicky but I have gotten used to it now.  I have not yet run into a round where my ball is not able to stop reasonably on the greens on approaches.  It's not gonna suck back but it seems to stop decent for my trajectory and spin on the greens I play.

After using many different golf balls from my bin I find the biggest difference in spin is with cover material.  If you like using spin around the greens you need a ball that has urethane imo.  

My opinion is the ball maybe makes less of a difference than we think and the only way to test it is trying stuff you think might be crap.

I just think you need to be aware what type of ball you are playing when making your shot choices.

Like with Pinnacle I'd never even try a low knockdown short iron approach meant to skip once and stop dead.

Strangely I seem to score better with the rocks because my shot choice is greatly simplified.  

The two piece rocks do give way way less curve.  When I was working hard on my development I never used them because I wanted to see the exact ballflight my swings produced.

I am lucky to have a pretty unlimited supply of golf balls if I want to get more...

I just never developed enough to be able to shape balls into pins on course.  I always score better fitting my dispersion on my 'one swing for all shots'  into what's in front of me.  So a ball with less spin works best for my personal situation.

Bridgestone (B330)

Titleist (Prov1x or NTX Tour)

Vice (Pro)

Just picked up 2 dozen of the new Cut golf brand balls.  We will see how they do this weekend.

lately I have been hitting the Taylor Made Tour Preferred balls (and, tour preferred X).    

I really. really like these balls.  They have a really nice feel, and according to the launch monitor, I am getting more spin with my short irons with the tour preferreds than I get from ProV1, Bridgestonn B330, or Chromesoft, but with no additional spin with the driver.  

As I've mentioned previously, I get balls from lostgolfballs.com.   It's a good way try all types of nice balls on the cheap.   I think I paid 15.99 for a dozen of these (regular price $40+).   finding this site has been cool.   at $45/box, I never would have tried the Bridgestones or these taylor mades.  Just wasn't worth the risk of spending that much and not liking them as much as ProV1's.   I wouldn't say I like any of them better than the others.  they're all great, but different in their own way.   but, going forward, I don't think I'll be exclusive to any (unless one of them finally decides to buck up and sponsor me :whistle:)...    

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

i've been hooked on Maxfli ever since they came out with the U-series... the price point was nice, and the ball does perform..   It does suck that they dont make the U/3 balls anymore..  but the SoftFli and the U/6 are good replacements..   I am interested to see how the new U-soft and U-speed balls work, since they are a 4 layer ball..   

But i have been playing some of the Top Flight balls,  D2 feel / straight, i messed around with last year..   and i just picked up some of the Gamer balls and the Maxfli SpeedFli to see how they perform..   

after that, i've never really had good luck with Titleist, or Bridgestone...  while i do like them when i am swing the clubs nice, but i usually end up losing them lol...    honestly, if the ProV's wasnt so costly, i'd play them.. cuz i love them off my irons and wedges..  

It is what it is

Until I am a single digit I will not buy top of the line balls...I don't know how to control spin, I certainly do not need more spin on miss hits. So I save the money. As long as they feel softer, have some spin and the price is right I am in..

Wilson Staff is my first choice due to price. 

Srixon soft feel.

Last, Bridgestone e6 if I want to spend some extra money. 

Note: This thread is 2535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!