IGNORED

Good Devices or Apps for Measuring Distance of my Shots

TheGoose
Note: This thread is 1528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 hours ago, Club Rat said:

In reference to what type of device?

If it could only tell you before you swing. ;-)

Yeah, before you swing would be ideal. But I don't think technology like that will ever be invented! ;-)

As far as what type of device to find out what happened AFTER the shot, you should check out Mobitee and PIQ. It's a shot tracker that also works as a swing analysis tool and a GPS for yardages. It gives you all the standard shot tracking data plus your clubhead speed, swing path, and even tempo of each shot.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, TechnologyGolfer said:

Mobitee and PIQ

These products do have added benefit with the swing analyzer functions.
Shot tracking, I'm not quite sold on reviewing rounds on a phone versus a website on a PC or tablet.
Does it offer any summaries per say, data that can be stored to a PC or web applications to review?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Club Rat said:

These products do have added benefit with the swing analyzer functions.
Shot tracking, I'm not quite sold on reviewing rounds on a phone versus a website on a PC or tablet.
Does it offer any summaries per say, data that can be stored to a PC or web applications to review?

All the data is saved in the app so you need a smartphone to view it all. And I do not believe the app works on tablets, but they do have an iphone version as well as an android version.

8 minutes ago, TechnologyGolfer said:

All the data is saved in the app

What is the App's name?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

My mistake. If you're looking to measure how far each shot went, I would highly recommend using either the app or device for GAME Golf.

If you don't want to spend any money and aren't necessarily looking to track all shots, but just want to get a decent idea of some of them, then one thing you can do is just use bluegolf.com.  Go to "courses" and enter your course, then click on "tour."  If your course isn't on there, you can still use it by getting to the map through another course and just panning to yours.  One mouse click sets your first point, second mouse click gives you the distance in yards.

You also have to have a decent memory of the shots from your last round, as well as be aware of where the tees were in relation to a landmark or something.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm going to try these apps out once the courses open, and possibly getting a GPS that I can attach to my golf bag, and track my shots without using my phone.

At my hcp, close enough has been good enough. Garmin or bushnell gives me F, M and B of green, shot distance (turn on feature, hit ball, walk to ball, check distance.) and some objects. (bunkers, water). Occasionally knowing distance with a rangefinder to a layup would be informative. It will have to be cheap. Don't want the optics of that guy who ranges every shot and misses 90% of the time

7 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

At my hcp, close enough has been good enough. Garmin or bushnell gives me F, M and B of green, shot distance (turn on feature, hit ball, walk to ball, check distance.) and some objects. (bunkers, water). Occasionally knowing distance with a rangefinder to a layup would be informative. It will have to be cheap. Don't want the optics of that guy who ranges every shot and misses 90% of the time

Depending on your definition of cheap, there are tons of rangefinders on Amazon for less than $200, and even a few that are under $100. 

https://www.amazon.com/TONOR-Yards-Laser-Finder-Hunting/dp/B01HCH4RMA/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1490100347&sr=8-14&keywords=golf+range+finders

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

12 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

close enough has been good enough.

Yah I'm in this camp myself. I know generally how far each club hits from experience, and doing tests on a specific day, flat ground, no wind would not interest me. 

The factors going into distance for me: 

- my swing variance

- how I feel that day

- lie, wind, uphill/downhill to target (any external factor)

All those give my distance a fairly broad range of possibilities, and I'm playing the same muni's often enough now that I can remember which club I used the previous rounds- so I just go with a gut feel. 

To improve to another level, I'm sure I'll need to "dial in" as they say- particularly in those partial shot wedges where people know how far a 3/4 swing goes. 

For now, I'm enjoying going device-free on the course. Just using the surroundings/course markings and my intuition to figure out which club to pull.

Ill map things later on GAME GOLF and usually chuckle at the crazy yardages that show up for each club. Mishits, recovery shots, partial shots, etc can make for odd club distances. So I'm back to using my gut feel again- which is usually close enough   

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

16 minutes ago, klineka said:

Depending on your definition of cheap, there are tons of rangefinders on Amazon for less than $200, and even a few that are under $100. 

https://www.amazon.com/TONOR-Yards-Laser-Finder-Hunting/dp/B01HCH4RMA/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1490100347&sr=8-14&keywords=golf+range+finders

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Hi...a laser lets me measure to the top of a bunker, or to a specific tree, or find the carry required to take a certain path over a hazard. The best I ever got from a GPS device was the measurement to the front whatever bunkers they felt like marking when they surveyed the course. 

If 1-2 feet make a difference in your game, you're probably playing for $$.

Golf Pad is a nice FREE Smartphone GPS distance App.....  Simple to keep score on it also.

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Note: This thread is 1528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!