IGNORED

Paired-up with a total *%$# head idiot story..........

BuckeyeNut
Note: This thread is 2577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 hours ago, BuckeyeNut said:

Please folks...don't be this guy.    Unreal....

I paired up with this guy recently while we are still in "Winter Golf" mode.   The day in question was a beautiful 70+ degree day in the middle of winter with 20-30mph winds.   It's a given.....Ok, it's still winter and the wind is howling....this may be a rough day for scoring and nobody in my part of the country has played much golf over the past few months anyway!!!!  We get it.....there will be some rust and bad results!!!   I paired with this CLOWN that admittedly had RUST like all of us, but he proceeded to curse and throw clubs after every bad shot!  You've got to be kidding to me!???  IT IS WINTER!!  This guy was like a cartoon character of a real person!!!  

He proceeded to throw clubs violently on nearly every hole, smash clubs into the cart, and I felt unsafe on several occasions due to being in a near proximity!!  He broke no fewer than 3 clubs on this day...... what is with this idiot?   Not only that, but he left an "IDIOT" mark in the green!!!!!!     For you wondering what this is???........this is taking a wild swing at the ball after it misses the hole with a putter to smack it away off the green....and taking a divot from the green in the process.    This clown made me cringe all day long.   Painful to watch and be part of...and I felt unsafe at times too.   I was too close for comfort and was worried I'd catch a piece of shaft or broken cart plastic when he was venting frustration.....I hate playing with this kind of person more than anything else.    On a brighter note...at least he wasn't slow!!!! 

Rant off!!!!!....please discuss!!

Man, Buckeye.Im so sorry you didnt enjoy your round with me haaa. I really think he had some stuff going on in his personal life to act like that. Ive played with a guy like that before and man does it ruin your own game. The constant complaining and tossing clubs. No matter what you say to them to calm them down, they get even madder.

I agree that this type of guy is no fun to play with and can be awkward especially if you don't know him, but when I was building clubs and doing repair work full time I knew more than a few players who were the nicest guys you could ever meet, but on the course they had a temper they couldn't control.  I know it's not funny, but a few examples that still make me chuckle:

• I knew several players who broke clubs so often, they had 2 identical sets of clubs so they could keep playing while one set was in the shop for repairs.
  • A notorious club breaker missed a putt one day, and tried to break the putter over his leg.  He missed and instead of the shaft hitting the top of his thigh, he raked it down the front of his shin...and yes, he was wearing shorts.  he peeled the skin all the way down.  It still gives me the shivers.
  • Another guy would break an average of 2-3 golf cart steering wheels/year out of anger.  Those are really hard to break...and expensive.
  • One of the funniest was during a member/member tournament, one of these guys and his partner got to the first green, and he realized he left his putter back on the practice green.  He asked to borrow his partner's putter, and when he missed the putt he broke it!  It wasn't even his club!  So neither one of them had a putter!
  • This is maybe the best one.  It was a long par 3 (about 210) with a forced carry over water.  The guy hits his tee shot into the water.  He re-tees, and hits another ball into the water.  He goes back to his cart and methodically breaks his whole set of irons, one after another.  3-PW...broke them all.  What I love about this story is the club he hit the two balls into the water with...was his 7 wood!
  • Upvote 3

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My buddies and I will cuss occasionally, and maybe thump the ground with the club when we hose up a shot, but this guy was totally off the rails. I tend to agree with some of the others that there was something going on in the guys life, and blowing up on the course was his way of releasing frustration. After all, you hate to think the guy was like that all the time!

This reminds me of the driving range story in George Plimpton's book "The Bogey Man". The owner of the range told Plimpton about a guy who came in late at night with a driver, bought a bucket of balls, and just ripped them out there as fast as he could. He comes back in the shop and says, "Gimme another bucket!", real tight and menacing. It gets toward closing time and the range owner is wondering what's taking the guy so long. He looks and the guy is hitting the second bucket all different.

Now he's taking a ball out of the bucket,holding it up in front of his face and talking to it! Yelling at it! Really giving it Hell. Then he'd carefully place the ball on the tee, line up his shot with care and just rip it a mile! The owner figured he must have been a good golfer, but he was going to take all night finishing that bucket. So, he eases on out to the tee, clears his throat as the guy is lining up another drive and says, "Don't mean to disturb, but it's getting near closing time". The guy scuttles around and lines up his drive on the owner! He put his hands up like he was being held at gunpoint, backed away slowly, left all the lights on, the door unlocked, and just went home!

When he came back the next morning the crazy guy's car was gone, but he was peeking around corners for a while afraid the guy might still be there! He went out to the tee and there was the second large bucket, empty! There was no other damage and nothing was missing from the shop.

It takes all kinds to make a world, and remembering that story made me think. Maybe the guy you got stuck with is just plain crazy! At least you now know what he looks like so you can avoid him in the future.

Edited by Buckeyebowman

BuckeyeNut, Any chance this guy was a Michigan fan?

:whistle:

(It's a joke guys, no offense meant to any Michigan fans on here)

• Upvote 3

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

1 hour ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

BuckeyeNut, Any chance this guy was a Michigan fan?

:whistle:

(It's a joke guys, no offense meant to any Michigan fans on here)

:beer:

Women and children to the rear...

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I'd be exiting stage right with that dude in my group.  I get pissed sometimes and have even tossed a club or two in my day but nothing like this dude.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

I think he was a D-Bag..................my evaluation after18 holes.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2017 at 4:09 PM, 1badbadger said:

I agree that this type of guy is no fun to play with and can be awkward especially if you don't know him, but when I was building clubs and doing repair work full time I knew more than a few players who were the nicest guys you could ever meet, but on the course they had a temper they couldn't control.  I know it's not funny, but a few examples that still make me chuckle:

• I knew several players who broke clubs so often, they had 2 identical sets of clubs so they could keep playing while one set was in the shop for repairs.
  • A notorious club breaker missed a putt one day, and tried to break the putter over his leg.  He missed and instead of the shaft hitting the top of his thigh, he raked it down the front of his shin...and yes, he was wearing shorts.  he peeled the skin all the way down.  It still gives me the shivers.
  • Another guy would break an average of 2-3 golf cart steering wheels/year out of anger.  Those are really hard to break...and expensive.
  • One of the funniest was during a member/member tournament, one of these guys and his partner got to the first green, and he realized he left his putter back on the practice green.  He asked to borrow his partner's putter, and when he missed the putt he broke it!  It wasn't even his club!  So neither one of them had a putter!
  • This is maybe the best one.  It was a long par 3 (about 210) with a forced carry over water.  The guy hits his tee shot into the water.  He re-tees, and hits another ball into the water.  He goes back to his cart and methodically breaks his whole set of irons, one after another.  3-PW...broke them all.  What I love about this story is the club he hit the two balls into the water with...was his 7 wood!

Funny stuff...thanks for sharing!   I enjoyed reading many of the comments.............

My 2 cents in this day.   This was a late FEB.....early march round of golf.....getting a rain-check is not a factor because I have a membership.  I am liable to require a "Snow-Check" if I come back if you know what I mean!!!   The KEY FACTOR....this is a late winter day and I haven't played for 4 months....and temps were in the 70s.   What am I to do? .......go home and come back tomorrow when it's 38 degrees?  LOL........

Yes...I stuck it out, but it was awkward.   Weird...in spite of the rust and high winds, I carded an 81 that day. With all things considered.....I could have done a lot worse. 

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Have played with those who allow their temper to take control.  Such actions can negatively affect every other member in the group.  A few years ago one of the younger guys in our weekend group would curse loudly, bang clubs into the turf, etc.  I finally had a talk with him and told him if he didn't control himself, he would no longer be welcome in the group.  Was a difficult conversation as the young man was one of our son-in-laws.  He immediately turned it around and is still a regular... and welcome.... participant in the group.

Damage to property, whether course or cart??!!!???  That is unforgivable.  If they break their own clubs, I can walk away from playing with that person.  If they damage course property, I am going to immediately report it.  If I have a cell in the bag, I would call the clubhouse.  If not, I would report it to the clubhouse at the turn.  The person needs held accountable for such actions and damage. 

Every day on the golf course is a blessing.  So many would love to have the opportunity to play this GREAT Game.  They don't due to financial, physical, emotional issues beyond their control.  At 70+, if I even wake up it's a blessing.  You can allow your emotions to show.  You can show your disgust with a shot or shots.  Allowing those emotions to hamper another's enjoyment of the Game takes it over the line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 2577 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!