IGNORED

Is pace of play (or slow play) a real problem?

Jakester23
Note: This thread is 1974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pace of Play  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Is slow play a real problem?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, phan52 said:

And I understand that 4 hours is an accepted time. I pointed out at 4;08 is the accepted time at our course. That doesn't mean it isn't slow. When the course isn't busy, any group I am in never play in more than 3:30, and usually less. We play when ready. Get to ball, hit the ball. Why should I wait to hit my ball if the guy who is away hasn't got to his ball yet? 

Like I said, JMO. Hit when ready. :-)

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Interesting discussion. It may depend on the course. For example, The first time my group travelled out to Nevada and played Wolf Creek in Mesquite, it took us like 5 hours. It didn't feel slow. That same group playing our home track almost never took more than 3 hours to play 18. Both courses are par 72. But familiarity makes a difference and not all 72's are created equal. 

I think the 4 hours is just slow relative to your normal pace of play, but that doesn't necessarily mean 4 hours is slow when compared across all golfers. I've had some 4 hour rounds that feel like 6 hour rounds, and other 4 hour rounds where it felt like we were moving and playing ready golf the whole round.

I will say that when I play with my normal foursome without anyone in front of us, we do tend to finish right around 3:30, and we do also play ready golf so you and I are on the same page with that :beer:

I definitely agree that it is course specific, I think course layout has some to do with the time duration of the round too. There are some courses by me that have holes close together with virtually no drive/walk from the green to the next tee, and other courses that go through neighborhoods that require crossing roads or going through the woods and take more time to drive/walk to.

1 hour ago, phan52 said:

You and I are going to have to agree to disagree, particularly playing through a group. I have done it and it alway adds a lot of time ot a round. If I can get around them, that's the better option.

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

I’m with @phan52 on that one.

Playing through groups takes time. I play around groups all the time.

I guess in my experiences of playing through this year that I can remember, I can't really see how it added much time. The most recent example I can think of was where I was in a twosome with a buddy and we came up on a foursome on a par 5. Once they finished the par 5, they sat in their carts off the path in between the par 5 and the next hole (a par 3) and waited for us to finish the par 5. As we approached, they waved us through. We thanked them for letting us play through, got the yardage, and played the hole the same way we would have if they weren't there. I dont see how them letting us play through increased the time our round took. Yeah that increased the amount of time their round took, but even if we would have had 4 golfers and they waved us through, that hole still would have taken X number of minutes to complete, regardless of if we were playing through a group or not.

I guess I could see how it might take more time if the group you are playing through also wants to hit their tee shots as well, so you'd have to wait by the tee and delaying your second shot, but I don't think I've ever actually encountered that when playing through a group, my experience when playing through has always been the slower group waits at the tee box, lets my group hit our tee shots, then the slower group hits their tee shots once we have hit our second or are off the green on par 3s

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

I think attitude is the basic problem here , too many people just aren't good at talking to people and resolving issues pleasantly.

I played the other day in the afternoon, and is typical for my solo rounds I didn't have a booking but knew the course was clear from checking booking system earlier. Checked in a pro shop who OK'd me to go out right away - there were 2 booking now but spread across 3 slots, so I had the middle one. 

I arrived at the tee just as group 1 drove off, and noted that one player was stopping to hit a shot about 50 yards ahead of the tee box. They then proceeded to hit a series of bad shots between them until they got over the hill, where a typical bogey golfer would put their first stroke. At no point did they look back while hacking around on the way to their triple bogeys, which really should be standard when you're having a bad hole. 

Meanwhile the next group arrive at the tee and ask me (ball on tee, driver in hand) if I had booking - I confirm that the pro shop had authorised me and that I was giving the group ahead time to finish as they hadn't looked back and were playing slow. One guy grumbles to the other about how there's no point making a booking - it's still about 5 minutes before their slot comes up. In the end, they begrudgingly accept that as I'm on my own it's probably better for me to play first,  and I get on my way.

I catch up with the group ahead as they are leaving the tee on hole 2 - as always at this early stage I simply smile without asking to go ahead, and fortunately they say 'well, if you're that confident that you can go ahead of us', as If I'm the one playing fast, rather than them playing slow and not looking. I didn't come out of nowhere , they just never looked back. Of course, I happily accept their offer and get on my way. 

Although I got through those groups quickly, it did seem harder than it needs to be. Had I been the first group I'd have been embarrassed at holding somebody up without realising (rather than worrying about how quickly I might play through them), and had I been the in second group I wouldn't have issue with a single player going out 5 minutes before my tee time, especially If I'd only made my booking in the last couple of hours. It's like people just want to do their own thing, ignoring the reality that they are sharing a public space with others. 

Most of the rounds I play move along just fine. We have the occasional slow group whos overall impact to the game of golf get blown way out of proportion. I get it, its annoying while your in the middle of it. I work in buildings in various states of completion. First meeting I ask who does not know its hot, cold, raining whatever? Nobody ever speaks up and I say good, we don't have to talk about it anymore. I say the same thing to those who repeatedly  squawk about pace, I'm on the same course your on, I'm aware the pace is slow. If anything changes let me know, otherwise let me focus on my game.

Edited by Papa Steve 55
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Most of the rounds I play move along just fine. We have the occasional slow group whos overall impact to the game of golf get blown way out of proportion. I get it, its annoying while your in the middle of it. I work in buildings in various states of completion. First meeting I ask who does not know its hot, cold, raining whatever? Nobody ever speaks up and I say good, we don't have to talk about it anymore. I say the same thing to those who repeatedly  squawk about pace, I'm on the same course your on, I'm aware the pace is slow. If anything changes let me know, otherwise let me focus on my game.

I like the way you think. 

Edited by Patch
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Moxley said:

I think attitude is the basic problem here , too many people just aren't good at talking to people and resolving issues pleasantly.

I played the other day in the afternoon, and is typical for my solo rounds I didn't have a booking but knew the course was clear from checking booking system earlier. Checked in a pro shop who OK'd me to go out right away - there were 2 booking now but spread across 3 slots, so I had the middle one. 

I arrived at the tee just as group 1 drove off, and noted that one player was stopping to hit a shot about 50 yards ahead of the tee box. They then proceeded to hit a series of bad shots between them until they got over the hill, where a typical bogey golfer would put their first stroke. At no point did they look back while hacking around on the way to their triple bogeys, which really should be standard when you're having a bad hole. 

Meanwhile the next group arrive at the tee and ask me (ball on tee, driver in hand) if I had booking - I confirm that the pro shop had authorised me and that I was giving the group ahead time to finish as they hadn't looked back and were playing slow. One guy grumbles to the other about how there's no point making a booking - it's still about 5 minutes before their slot comes up. In the end, they begrudgingly accept that as I'm on my own it's probably better for me to play first,  and I get on my way.

I catch up with the group ahead as they are leaving the tee on hole 2 - as always at this early stage I simply smile without asking to go ahead, and fortunately they say 'well, if you're that confident that you can go ahead of us', as If I'm the one playing fast, rather than them playing slow and not looking. I didn't come out of nowhere , they just never looked back. Of course, I happily accept their offer and get on my way. 

Although I got through those groups quickly, it did seem harder than it needs to be. Had I been the first group I'd have been embarrassed at holding somebody up without realising (rather than worrying about how quickly I might play through them), and had I been the in second group I wouldn't have issue with a single player going out 5 minutes before my tee time, especially If I'd only made my booking in the last couple of hours. It's like people just want to do their own thing, ignoring the reality that they are sharing a public space with others. 

We'll they may have not let u play through cause it was opening hole.I would have waited till 2nd hole to let u play thru too.I give people extra time on first hole because they might have not warmed up.

18 hours ago, Moxley said:

I think attitude is the basic problem

That line is best answer out of this whole thread. I might change “problem” to “difference”.  Everyone has a different agenda when hitting the course and unfortunately not everyone’s agendas line up causing “differences” in time management on the course. 

10 hours ago, Aflighter said:

We'll they may have not let u play through cause it was opening hole.I would have waited till 2nd hole to let u play thru too.I give people extra time on first hole because they might have not warmed up.

Very fair, although my point wasn't that they didn't let me play through, but rather that they never looked back, and didn't seem to have insight into this. Again, no problems for me on the day, but I can see on other days, with different people involved, that would cause frustration and discord. 

Note: This thread is 1974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!