IGNORED

Is pace of play (or slow play) a real problem?

Jakester23
Note: This thread is 1953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pace of Play  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Is slow play a real problem?

• Yes
    • No

A lot of people are playing golf drunk. Maybe they don't think they're drunk, but if (for example) the Marshal was driving around with a breathalyzer - many of these would also be guilty of slow play.

I'm not saying I want the Marshal to police the course for drunks. I'm just saying drunks don't generally make efficient decisions. I like to get a good buzz on as much as the next guy but let's face it golf is already challenging without further softening your brain.

Edited by Kalnoky

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Yeah, its possible depending on the course. Ive walked courses (as a single) in less than 3 hours. 

Yeah, I can see that. I've only played 9 as a single but I was also on a cart. It was kinda disappointing because it only lasted about 45 minutes max and I felt like I didn't have time to enjoy it...

I just saw what has to be the worst slow play in the history of golf. Mind you I only witnessed half a hole of it. Friend asked if  wanted to play 9 around 645pm after he dropped wife off at church. I get there around 6 and talk to guy at desk.He tells me theres  2SUM that started at 2 and they just now on 12th green. We had to play back so he said u may catch em. I said no way, itll be around 815 when we get done. Well lord behold we catch them on 17th fairway.We have to wait then they drive off to 18tee. We finish 17 head  to 18 and they on tee.Friend had to leave by 8 so we just head to cars. I imagine it took em 6 hr 15 mins as 2sum. Cannot believe that. They should be banned.

5 hours ago, 406pat said:

Second, par threes are pace killers, both real and perceived. Really the last display clock should be after the last par three. Since they are the only holes with a capacity of one group max, any real delays by the first group are directly passed to the second group. Also, it's very tough to make up time on a par three, especially for a high handicapper.

Also course design and where the par 3's are placed factors into it as well. There was a local course where both nines started out goofy. #1 was a par 5 about 530-540, and #2 was a par 3 of about 190. #10 was a brutal par 4, 440, and #11 was a long par 3 of 210! Groups would stack up on both 2 and 11 tees.

• Upvote 1

I just played my first 9 holes of the season. I am not a fast golfer. Repeat... I am not a fast golfer. I was playing behind Ben Crane, Kevin Na, Jason Day, and Jordan Spieth... except they were barely hitting their tee shots 170 yds. from the white tees. Hello, guys, if you're that short you should be playing the RED tees. You'll have more fun and you'll save possibly one stroke on several holes. But you were riding. And you took like 20 minutes to play a ******* hole. You had two open holes in front of you.

I play the senior tees because I'm 64. I'm fine as long as I'm moving. If I have to stand around and wait, my back gets stiff and my round goes to hell. I wanted to play 18 today. I took a break at the turn to get a hot dog which the restaurant had to cook. The guys were teeing off on 10 when I went in. I went to the bathroom before I ordered. When I got out I thought I'd be able to hit my tee shot. Nope. I had to wait for them to hit their second shots. I packed it in and went home. 

I shot a 47 - it was my very rusty short game and putting.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Yes and no, depends on my mood and circumstances.  A slow round makes it harder to get into some sort of rhythm and will usually cost me a couple of shots.  On the other hand, If I go to a public/muni course on a weekend, I already expect a 5.5-6 hour round so I just take it in stride, enjoy the day and be thankful that I was able to play some golf on that day :)

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

3 hours ago, paperclip said:

If I go to a public/muni course on a weekend, I already expect a 5.5-6 hour round so I just take it in stride, enjoy the day and be thankful that I was able to play some golf on that day :)

There is no possible way I'd enjoy a 5.5-hour round of golf. That sounds miserable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

- John

On 2017-3-16 at 1:52 AM, CMartis said:

Is three hours walking possible? I've only played around 6 rounds but it seems like it's always been about 4 hours. That's on a cart. 

I think it is definitely possible (depending on the course).  I've regularly played 9 hole rounds on local courses in the UK (which are possibly set up more for walking) in just over an hour as a single, pair and three ball.  That is obviously without meeting anyone in front though and it assumes a certain level of fitness and efficiency of playing routine.  I guess simplistically if you assume walking 7000 yards (approx 4 miles) and 100 shots at 30 seconds per shot then that gives a baseline of about two and a quarter hours (but that would be a pretty epic performance)

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

I usually play munis. I try to have no time expectations (or for that matter, game expectations lol) when playing golf. I leave my house 45 minutes before a round, and usually get home 5 hours and thirty minutes later. 18 holes is anywhere from 4 to 4.5 hours.

If I have later appointments I book golf earlier. 

Over the past month I have invited a new person to golf on two separate occasions. (we are not trying to grow the game, just have an enjoyable outing with family or friend) We planned only 9 holes. Walking 9 holes and flailing at a little white ball tires a new comer. They have no idea of what pace of play means. We explained it and played pick up the f-----g ball if we started losing contact with those in front.

We have a local 9 hole muni. It is often populated by occasional golfers. It is rated as intermediate difficulty. It is often slower on weekends and holidays. If I want to play there I either pick a different time or smell the roses.

If its two non golfing couples playing in front of us, I smell the roses. They have no clue what pace of play means, nor do they care.

To me "golf is too slow" sounds like road rage. Golf is not instant gratification. Never has been. Need will be.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Aflighter said:

I just saw what has to be the worst slow play in the history of golf. Mind you I only witnessed half a hole of it. Friend asked if  wanted to play 9 around 645pm after he dropped wife off at church. I get there around 6 and talk to guy at desk.He tells me theres  2SUM that started at 2 and they just now on 12th green. We had to play back so he said u may catch em. I said no way, itll be around 815 when we get done. Well lord behold we catch them on 17th fairway.We have to wait then they drive off to 18tee. We finish 17 head  to 18 and they on tee.Friend had to leave by 8 so we just head to cars. I imagine it took em 6 hr 15 mins as 2sum. Cannot believe that. They should be banned.

That sounds less like a slow play issue and more like a no play issue. I'd imagine your guys plopped down somewhere for a late afternoon picnic. They probably engaged in a few ball-hunting expeditions and may have taken a swim in a water hazard.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

There is no possible way I'd enjoy a 5.5-hour round of golf. That sounds miserable.

This is why I joined a Country Club here in No. Virginia, when I first moved to the area, I couldn't believe it took me 5-5.5 hours to play 18 holes on the weekend.  That lasted a couple of summers and then I took the dive to joining a Country Club, which for me is well worth the cost. 

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

36 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

To me "golf is too slow" sounds like road rage. 

The point is, golf need not be "too slow".  With a little concern for others sharing the course with them, and a little common sense, golf can, and should be a fun, social activity that needn't take an all-day commitment to enjoy.  A little "rage" at those that ruin the experience for everyone else is understandable, as it's so preventable.

Failure to address the issue (not in a rage ;-) ) when it's encountered only helps perpetuate the problem.  To paraphrase...

...The only thing necessary for slow play to triumph, is that good men do nothing.

:-D 

36 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

Golf is not instant gratification. Never has been. Need will be.

Golf may be the hardest, most frustrating game ever developed.  If it weren't for those occasional, often surprising times when, out of nowhere, an amazing shot happens, many (most?) of us would never have gotten past the point of abject frustration to even give the game a chance.  How many times have you, or someone you're playing with had a particularly ugly round, just to hit a great drive, or approach, or sink an unexpected long putt, and realize, that's why we keep coming back.

Maybe not instant gratification, but certainly unexpected gratification that happens in an instant.  It can take you from the depths of despair to the heights of euphoria in a single heartbeat.  Always has.  Always will. :-) 

:beer:

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

15 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

A lot of people are playing golf drunk. Maybe they don't think they're drunk, but if (for example) the Marshal was driving around with a breathalyzer - many of these would also be guilty of slow play.

I'm not saying I want the Marshal to police the course for drunks. I'm just saying drunks don't generally make efficient decisions. I like to get a good buzz on as much as the next guy but let's face it golf is already challenging without further softening your brain.

I don't know where you're playing but I rarely see anybody actually drunk on the golf course. I don't think that's a major factor when it comes to POP.

• Upvote 1
my get up and go musta got up and went..

38 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I don't know where you're playing but I rarely see anybody actually drunk on the golf course. I don't think that's a major factor when it comes to POP.

I definitely don't see this at my course, but don't remember lots of drunks on the public courses I've played either.  Most times, I think people just don't think about the folks around them and are lost in whatever thought they are in for the day.  Rather than keeping up with the group ahead of them.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

1 hour ago, jetsknicks1 said:

I agree.  Drinking?  Sure.  Drunk?  Very very seldom.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

This is why I joined a Country Club here in No. Virginia, when I first moved to the area, I couldn't believe it took me 5-5.5 hours to play 18 holes on the weekend.  That lasted a couple of summers and then I took the dive to joining a Country Club, which for me is well worth the cost. 

Yikes. I would do the same.

I've played almost exclusively at public courses for the past two or three years, and I don't think I've had a round over 5 hours. Admittedly, I don't play cheap courses.

- John

1 hour ago, jetsknicks1 said:

38 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I agree.  Drinking?  Sure.  Drunk?  Very very seldom.

I disagree.

The garbage receptacles on the golf course contain more empty beer cans than they do water bottles. People joke about drinking on the golf course all the time.

I don't mean falling down, slurring and peeing themselves drunk, but people are definitely drinking and becoming warm inside. And by that I mean people are drinking alcohol and it affects their judgment.

I read through the slow play stories in this thread and I am willing to bet alcohol was a contributing factor in many of them.

Nobody is going to convince me that having a few beers is speeding up the game. 

Edited by Kalnoky

4 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

That sounds less like a slow play issue and more like a no play issue. I'd imagine your guys plopped down somewhere for a late afternoon picnic. They probably engaged in a few ball-hunting expeditions and may have taken a swim in a water hazard.

From the lil bit I saw it was they couldnt hit ball too good and they would rehit. I also said same thing about them having a picnic.

Note: This thread is 1953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!