IGNORED

Is pace of play (or slow play) a real problem?

Jakester23
Note: This thread is 1974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pace of Play  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Is slow play a real problem?

• Yes
    • No

Yes I would imagine on some holes they caught up. I guess 2 slow groups in my scenerio. 

If group A is aproaching the green and group b is over 300 out on the tee box  and waits for group A to be on the green than does the same on the next hole. Group A is slow and group b is complacent 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

We play in a league.  5:15 Tee Time, shotgun start.

There is another league that tees off at 4:00 to 4:30...NOT a shotgun start.  The course always puts us on the same 9, due to a ladies lesson/league night on the other 9.

For the last month, we've never got done before 7:45.  Always waiting on every hole.

We're considering moving to a different course.  No way EVERY week should take 2.5 hours for 9 holes.

15 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

If group A is aproaching the green and group b is over 300 out on the tee box  and waits for group A to be on the green than does the same on the next hole. Group A is slow and group b is complacent 

Are they? Is there a Group C ahead of Group A you're not seeing? Is Group A actually slow, or just slower than you like to be? Do you feel Group B is somehow at fault simply from your perception that they are waiting unnecessarily?

For example, if Group A plays at an average rate of 15 minutes per hole, that's a 4.5 hour round. If Group B is capable of playing at an average of 12 minutes a hole but can't get through Group A for whatever reason and they're forced to play at 15 minutes a hole, how is that complacency on their part? They'll end up playing a 4.5 hour round no matter if they wait on the tee or in the fairway for Group A. The faster they play their hole, the faster they catch up to Group A again and are forced to wait. In this case, they elect to wait a longer period on the tee to eliminate waiting during the middle of the hole. The resulting time is the same no matter what - as is their effect on place of play and ultimately, on your own group.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, billchao said:

For example, if Group A plays at an average rate of 15 minutes per hole, that's a 4.5 hour round. If Group B is capable of playing at an average of 12 minutes a hole but can't get through Group A for whatever reason and they're forced to play at 15 minutes a hole, how is that complacency on their part?

LOL this reads like a test question from grade school. 

29 minutes ago, windlaker said:

For the last month, we've never got done before 7:45.  Always waiting on every hole.

The old lady might be waiting with the rolling pin the second time that happens.

Perhaps....slow....players....just....process....infor....mation....at....a....different....umm....rate....than....others.  Like ....the....one....about....the....snail....riding....on....a....turtle's....back.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Also- Just for the record I played 18 holes yesterday in 2 hours and 15 minutes. Teeing off at 5PM in Texas has its perks. 😁

17 minutes ago, billchao said:

Are they? Is there a Group C ahead of Group A you're not seeing? Is Group A actually slow, or just slower than you like to be? Do you feel Group B is somehow at fault simply from your perception that they are waiting unnecessarily?

For example, if Group A plays at an average rate of 15 minutes per hole, that's a 4.5 hour round. If Group B is capable of playing at an average of 12 minutes a hole but can't get through Group A for whatever reason and they're forced to play at 15 minutes a hole, how is that complacency on their part? They'll end up playing a 4.5 hour round no matter if they wait on the tee or in the fairway for Group A. The faster they play their hole, the faster they catch up to Group A again and are forced to wait. In this case, they elect to wait a longer period on the tee to eliminate waiting during the middle of the hole. The resulting time is the same no matter what - as is their effect on place of play and ultimately, on your own group.

Another issue that I've run into is that courses don't do a very good job of indicating distances to landing zones. Can't count how many times I've heard "Think they're out of range? I don't know. Better wait". Usually I solve this problem with a rangefinder, but I find it really handy when courses show distances to some landmarks in the fairway on the hole diagram. 

I go by Pat or Patrick. Been called a lot worse so I don't mind either.
Driver - Cobra Fly Z + Stiff cut to 33" with CP2 Jumbo Wrap Grip
3 Hybrid - Cobra Fly Z + 19o Lamkin Crossline Oversize
4-6 Cobra F7 ONElength Lamkin Crossline Oversize

7-GW Cobra F7 Lamkin Crossline Oversize
52, 56, and 60 Wilson Harmonized Lamkin Crossline Oversize
Putter - Testing several at the moment

It is for me.  I am an anxious golfer and cannot stand waiting around for slower players.  

The 3 worst for me are the following:

1.  Those that don't normally play, don't know the rules or etiquette and are having fun screwing around & shanking every shot all over the place.  Pick up the ball and keep the game moving forward, you aren't going to be joining any tour anytime soon.

2.  Those that over analyze every shot as if there were millions of dollars on the line.  Your handicap isn't inversely proportional to the amount of time you take to analyze a shot.

3. Those that stand around admiring their one good shot instead of taking their second shot in a timely manner (probably because they know their first shot was a fluke and their second shot is going to suck).

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

On 5/26/2017 at 8:36 AM, uitar9 said:

I usually play munis. I try to have no time expectations (or for that matter, game expectations lol) when playing golf. I leave my house 45 minutes before a round, and usually get home 5 hours and thirty minutes later. 18 holes is anywhere from 4 to 4.5 hours.

If I have later appointments I book golf earlier. 

Over the past month I have invited a new person to golf on two separate occasions. (we are not trying to grow the game, just have an enjoyable outing with family or friend) We planned only 9 holes. Walking 9 holes and flailing at a little white ball tires a new comer. They have no idea of what pace of play means. We explained it and played pick up the f-----g ball if we started losing contact with those in front.

We have a local 9 hole muni. It is often populated by occasional golfers. It is rated as intermediate difficulty. It is often slower on weekends and holidays. If I want to play there I either pick a different time or smell the roses.

If its two non golfing couples playing in front of us, I smell the roses. They have no clue what pace of play means, nor do they care.

To me "golf is too slow" sounds like road rage. Golf is not instant gratification. Never has been. Need will be.

Errr, I have an issue here! If you're a beginner or a half ass amateur, see your shot, set up to it, and hit it! There is no sense in their delaying things, since they don't have the skill to hit the shot they imagine. And all the hemming and hawing about doesn't add anything positive!

I'm about a 13 HI and like to play quickly, since all the hemming and hawing doesn't benefit me either!

I love golf!

I love it so much I can't wait to get it over as quickly as possible.  I mean if there is one thing I would change about the game I love, that would be to make it last as short as possible.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

One of the problems I see in our area is the lack of course rangers. None in the summer months and very few during the winter (season) months. When I worked in the golf business we did a double tees on Saturday and Sunday mornings and that actually helps some but we also rangered and kept things moving. Believe it or not if you make an example out of a couple groups... it will definitely speed up play. But you have to be willing to sacrifice a little revenue to make it better for the masses.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

On 8/1/2018 at 6:33 AM, Bucki1968 said:

One of the problems I see in our area is the lack of course rangers. None in the summer months and very few during the winter (season) months. When I worked in the golf business we did a double tees on Saturday and Sunday mornings and that actually helps some but we also rangered and kept things moving. Believe it or not if you make an example out of a couple groups... it will definitely speed up play. But you have to be willing to sacrifice a little revenue to make it better for the masses.

This^^^, I rarely see any rangers at all, let alone one who is intent on keeping things moving out there.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

35 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

This^^^, I rarely see any rangers at all, let alone one who is intent on keeping things moving out there.

Don't think I realized until this post, but not sure I have seen a ranger in the last 2 seasons in our little area and have played many different courses and many, many rounds.  Afternoons at the public courses can be a little tiresome as they always seem to have pretty slow players and nobody to push them along. 

I hate waiting on the group in front, and pace of play was one of the chief reasons I joined a club 40 minutes outside of town in Austin years ago.  Buddy of mine and I were always the first group off Saturday and Sunday and could ride 18 in 2 1/2 hours.  

Most of my rounds are at a private club and I can usually walk 18 in about 3 hours or 9 in about an hour and a half.  

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

I only play public courses so I go in knowing I will probably run into other groups as most of my rounds I play alone. I have a couple pet peeves, 

1) I catch a group of people, while I am finishing out on the green they tee off drive down the fairway and stand there waving at me hollering to tee off and play through. If you want me to play through wait the extra minute on the tee box while I hit my ball. For some reason it screws with my head when I am teeing off and people are standing 200 yrds in front of me.

2) when I am close to catching a group and they keep looking back at me to see how close I am but continue to start the next hole and race to their tee shots. Once off the tee box they hit multiple balls or search the woods/ tall grass for the 2-3 balls that they already lost while I am standing on the tee box waiting to tee off.

I am a newbie and need all the practice I can get so I understand wanting to re take a shot. I do that myself if I don't have anyone coming behind me. If I have a group a hole or two back I play my ball, if I can't find my ball I make one pass looking for it and drop a new one.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Northwoods88 said:

For some reason it screws with my head when I am teeing off and people are standing 200 yrds in front of me.

The best is when it's a par-3 and you got three guys standing on the green waving at you.

It's like, we know you aren't hitting the green anyway, so we're safest here.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Northwoods88 said:

I only play public courses so I go in knowing I will probably run into other groups as most of my rounds I play alone. I have a couple pet peeves, 

1) I catch a group of people, while I am finishing out on the green they tee off drive down the fairway and stand there waving at me hollering to tee off and play through. If you want me to play through wait the extra minute on the tee box while I hit my ball. For some reason it screws with my head when I am teeing off and people are standing 200 yrds in front of me.

2) when I am close to catching a group and they keep looking back at me to see how close I am but continue to start the next hole and race to their tee shots. Once off the tee box they hit multiple balls or search the woods/ tall grass for the 2-3 balls that they already lost while I am standing on the tee box waiting to tee off.

I am a newbie and need all the practice I can get so I understand wanting to re take a shot. I do that myself if I don't have anyone coming behind me. If I have a group a hole or two back I play my ball, if I can't find my ball I make one pass looking for it and drop a new one.

^^^ Excellent assessment, agree 100%

And all of those things mess up your rhythm and lets your big muscles get cold. Which hurts beginners more than seasoned players. 

I started carrying an orange whip so I could stay loose while watching groups ahead of me look for balls. 

13 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The best is when it's a par-3 and you got three guys standing on the green waving at you.

It's like, we know you aren't hitting the green anyway, so we're safest here.

Anytime somebody waves me through, whether standing on the green or on the fairway, the thought of hitting them causes me to duff, slice, or pull my shot. Please just wait at the tee box. Have a seat on the bench, open a snack or have a cigarette. I don't even care if you make jokes ("show us how it's done, bud!") just don't stand where I could potentially hit you.

People who've been playing for 30 years are pretty much automatic and just don't care about any of this stuff, but for guys like us it can really make it hard to learn the game and enjoy playing. 

If you are playing on your own private golf course then pace of play is not a problem. For public courses, maybe there should be more information given to players from course organisers what are suitable times for hole to hole and to organize teeing off players to suit current players on the course.

I do not like to be rushed and I do not like to be held up like anyone else but on public courses you have to be public minded.

Note: This thread is 1974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!