IGNORED

Is pace of play (or slow play) a real problem?

Jakester23
Note: This thread is 1943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pace of Play  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Is slow play a real problem?

• Yes
    • No

I've been discussing this topic a lot lately with people I play with and others on social media.  I personally don't have a preconceived notion of how long it's supposed to take to play a round. I was well arguing with someone who feels a round of 18 with 4 players walking or riding should take 3 hrs maximum.  Ten mins per hole any longer is wasting time is what I was told. I don't play to fly through every hole I don't dawdle but I like enjoying my day. Don't get me wrong I don't want to play a 6 hr round but IMO 3 is a little ridiculous.  Sorry if this has already been discussed feel free to merge this if need be.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hour rounds with 4 partners is really fast golf, and it's pretty much ready/no frills golfing. Get to your ball and hit. Can be fun or boring.

Slow play is kind of a "feeling" and it really depends upon who you play with.

If you have uninteresting partners I can see slow play being really dreary. OTOH, if they are exciting conversationalists and have a wide variety of topics to discuss, the time goes by really nicely. You're playing the first hole at noon, and the next thing you know it's dark on the 17th and you don't really care because you still had a good time.

• Upvote 2

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

3 hour rounds with 4 partners is really fast golf, and it's pretty much ready/no frills golfing. Get to your ball and hit. 

This is what I was thinking. You don't even have time to watch the rest of your playing partners hit their shots.

Is three hours walking possible? I've only played around 6 rounds but it seems like it's always been about 4 hours. That's on a cart. 

5 minutes ago, Jakester23 said:

This is what I was thinking. You don't even have time to watch the rest of your playing partners hit their shots.

Pretty much. :-D

3 minutes ago, CMartis said:

Is three hours walking possible? I've only played around 6 rounds but it seems like it's always been about 4 hours. That's on a cart. 

It's fast, but we even have foursomes of seniors in the early morning who can push their carts at a 3 hour round pace. I swear that sometimes their clubs are stowed and they're already walking before their shots land. I exaggerate, but it really feels about like that. They're very efficient.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

12 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Pretty much. :-D

It's fast, but we even have foursomes of seniors in the early morning who can push their carts at a 3 hour round pace. I swear that sometimes their clubs are stowed and they're already walking before their shots land. I exaggerate, but it really feels about like that. They're very efficient.

I don't see the point or fun for that matter in that pace of play. Maybe I'm different since I only play once a week (well and live in Wisconsin where I can't play year round) but I love being outside enjoying my day.

Last year I played as a single many times at my home course early in the morning.    One day I was told I'd have to wait behind three women.  I was bothered because I have played as fast as 2:45 and wasn't in the mood to wait for each shot.   To my surprise, I didn't catch them until the 14th hole where they were waiting for a foursome.   

I can play fast or slow as long as I can get into a smooth rhythm.     My normal time with my friends is around 4 hours for a foursome.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Discussed many times.

For those who haven't seen it before, this thread provides a lot of good insight...

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

42 minutes ago, CMartis said:

I've had it go both ways. But for the most part I like to get to my ball, get my yardage, pull a club, and hit! I don't care for standing around. I find I play my best golf when I can play with some alacrity.

And yes, it is possible to to play a round in 3 hours walking, Actually less! I used to walk 9 in an hour and 15 back in the day! As a foursome my buddies and I have played 18 in 3 and a half if no one was holding us up.

But I'll say this. If you've only played 6 rounds, and you and your group are getting around in 4 hours, you're doing just fine!

Is pace a problem? Sometimes. I like to keep a rythm if at all possible. Playing early helps. But there are courses I just know are usually slow yet I continue to play them. So I guess it's not that big a deal. I don't play on weekend normally so I avoid the major slow times. 

I am some where between a fast player, and slow player. I say this because I have had a few faster players catch me, and I have caught up with the slower ones. 

Pace of play, of any speed, has never been a problem for me. It is what it is at the particular time I am playing. I keep my rhythm using my pre-shot routine.

The folks I normally golf with, and myself, just take it one hole at a time. We are usually in 4+/- hour range. It matters little if we walk or ride.

Most of our rounds are mid week. We seldom play on weekends, or holidays.  This schedule helps to shield us from the more crowded, slower days of the week. 

I have always taken the approach that golf is hard enough as it is. No need to make it harder by worrying about something I can't control. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I walk the executive course near my house but ride for my home course and as a single can complete 18 in 2 1/2 hours (riding).  Anything much over 4 hours can be a bit trying but it does not stop me from enjoying the golf.  A typical round whether riding or walking is 3 1/2 hours.  Walkers do have the disadvantage on a couple of holes where the next tee is a couple of hundred yards away but I have played with walkers while I ride and the extra time is insignificant.

26 minutes ago, mistermuhl said:

I walk with a couple guys that ride and I easily out pace them. They have the advantage off the tee but after that I win. 

Happens a lot.  Too often riders simply don't know how to manage a cart.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

14 hours ago, Jakester23 said:

I don't play to fly through every hole I don't dawdle but I like enjoying my day.

I think part of the problem is that what this means varies so widely.  If someone doesn't have anything else going on the rest of the day, "I want to enjoy my time here" could mean 6 hours.  And I suspect they think they don't dawdle.  

I'm not accusing you of being the part of the problem; but for those who are part of the problem, I think they would say the same thing.  (In fact, I would say the same about myself.  But I'll walk 18 holes--if playing alone--in 2:30.  If I join up with another regular on my course, that will drop to 2:15 or less, since I speed up a little to match his pace.)

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

4 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I think part of the problem is that what this means varies so widely.  If someone doesn't have anything else going on the rest of the day, "I want to enjoy my time here" could mean 6 hours.  And I suspect they think they don't dawdle.  

I'm not accusing you of being the part of the problem; but for those who are part of the problem, I think they would say the same thing.

Myself and pretty much everyone I play with are pretty good at playing ready golf.  Whoever is ready to putt plays. We drop one person off with a club and take the cart to the other ball when possible. Saying that I do like enjoying my time on the course.  I find it relaxing.

6 minutes ago, Jakester23 said:

Myself and pretty much everyone I play with are pretty good at playing ready golf.  Whoever is ready to putt plays. We drop one person off with a club and take the cart to the other ball when possible. Saying that I do like enjoying my time on the course.  I find it relaxing.

Honestly, no one can ask for faster play than this. . .It really sounds like you are all playing "normal" golf.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Here is my feeling on pace of play. Mainly for a 4sum. 4hrs-4 1/2 is perfectly fine on most courses. Any more is lil long and any less usually feels rushed. Honestly dont know why everyone cant play within the 4-4 1/2 hr frame.

Note: This thread is 1943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!