IGNORED

HANDICAPS. Ability vs Scores

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, RH31 said:

If you don't post enough scores to establish a handicap you should accept the handicap your group assigns you....or play with others.

A handicap should be the average of your 10 best out of your last 20.

Inconsistent golfers(like me) have to accept the fact that they aren't going to be competitive day in and day out.

The type of "game" the group plays has a lot to do with who is competitive and who isn't.

1 minute ago, RH31 said:

I know what is in the groups I play in. If you are a 10hcp, and shoot less than 6-7 over and win most of the money on multiple occasions, you will be an 8 hcp when you play with the group. If you keep shooting lower scores and winning most of the money they'll cut your social or group handicap another shot or two.

The reason I said I don't know the meaning of "social handicap" was that the OP is in England, playing under the CONGU handicap system.    His handicap is NOT the average of his best 10 of his most recent 20 scores.  His handicap is calculated based on competition rounds, not all rounds.  @paininthenuts HAS played enough competitive rounds to have a formal CONGU handicap.  "Social handicap" could actually have a defined meaning under CONGU, or might be some informal calculation as you describe.  No matter what the definitions, I stand by my suggestion that ALL players should be playing under the same handicapping rules.  For @paininthenuts to use a "social handicap", while his friends use their formal CONGU handicap, is completely unreasonable.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What I think.....

1) Is a $5 Nassau worth fighting with you buddies over?

2) In my circle the same $20 seems to make the rounds over the long haul. If you look over the universe of rounds and you win as much as you lose then handicaps are about right. But if all things are equal and someone wins every time you play then something is rotten in Denmark.

I don't know, my thoughts are this:   Handicaps are good for two things.   1) your own personal knowledge, and setting goals for yourself.  2) official tournament entries.  

As far as betting with your friends go, you mention they cheat, so whatever they are calling their handicap is shit anyways.  

If you want to bet with your friends, just negotiate strokes before the round starts.  You don't need to abide by some arbitrary number that has no basis in reality anyways (again, since your friends cheat).  your friends know your game.  you know your friends game.  I bet you guys could predict what a fair wager is much better than comparing handicaps will.  From the sounds of it, it doesn't really sound like you need 2 strokes per side to beat your cheating friends.   

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Admitting inconsistency says it all to me. All but the best are only consistent at being inconsistent and the few "better" shots your playing partners are using as evidence you are better than your handicap are random anomalies.

Dave :-)

23 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

Here is a question for you all.

On a weekly basis my golfing friends and I argue about my handicap, in fact we stopped playing for money a few months ago because of these discussions. My friends feel I should have a lower handicap, and if the club won't give me one they think I should play off of a social handicap. Firstly, I don't believe in social handicaps, as it's my belief that if the handicap system is working correctly a player only needs one handicap, and that shouldn't be played around with in any way what so ever. I accept that when I am playing well I can smash my handicap, I also accept that my swing is probably better than most people with my handicap of 21, and I admit that I quite often play better shots than someone with my handicap would normally play. However, the fact is that I am totally inconsistent, and still prone to playing a lot of costly shots, and thus my average score reflects my current handicap. The fact is that my friends believe my handicap should reflect my ability on a good day, along with my potential, and I believe it should reflect what is written on the score cards. 

So what do you think ?

I mostly play close to my handicap, but also can be inconsistent which can let you out from .5 to 1 strokes but then you shoot a good score like 7 under your handicap, and I get the same type feed back you should be on a lower handicap. I always submit my cards ,good or bad where I see some guys do not put in good cards to keep higher handicap, like if they have 40 stab ford points and know there a higher score in so they bow out. Thing that irks me is guys on 25 + handicap play 6 /7 times a month and only play comp on medal day hoping they can win it, hard giving people 14 shots when they have the same ability as yourself.

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

On 3/16/2017 at 4:39 PM, DaveP043 said:

The reason I said I don't know the meaning of "social handicap" was that the OP is in England, playing under the CONGU handicap system.    His handicap is NOT the average of his best 10 of his most recent 20 scores.  His handicap is calculated based on competition rounds, not all rounds.  @paininthenuts HAS played enough competitive rounds to have a formal CONGU handicap.  "Social handicap" could actually have a defined meaning under CONGU, or might be some informal calculation as you describe.  No matter what the definitions, I stand by my suggestion that ALL players should be playing under the same handicapping rules.  For @paininthenuts to use a "social handicap", while his friends use their formal CONGU handicap, is completely unreasonable.

A social handicap is something between friends and nothing more. I refuse to play off of one because I feel it makes a mockery  of the correct system 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

29 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

A social handicap is something between friends and nothing more. I refuse to play off of one because I feel it makes a mockery  of the correct system 

Congu can be relatively slow to adjust to your current ability.  As such, an agreed upon social handicap amongst buddies who primarily play the same courses against each other is a great alternative, and often more representative of actual ability than the "official" handicap.

Something as easy as a running, 5-round average can work really well as long as you're all playing the same courses against each other...

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, paininthenuts said:

Pfft..  you shouldn't be betting based on actual handicaps anyways.  Gambling should be more informal.  If you're a couple shots worse than someone, have the balls to play him straight up.  If you're 3 shots better than someone, go ahead and give two a side.  If yours gonna put a round of beers on it, you might as challenge yourself. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 2594 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!