IGNORED

44" Driver

Note: This thread is 2111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There was a time, I believe, when the "standard" was 43". I had mine cut down without doing anything with swingweight. More accuracy and distance. I do suggest using a pro to do the work and fit it to you as needed. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you have a 45 inch driver and cut it down to 43 1/2 should you add a little lead tape to the head?  The shorter driver just feels better to me.  I cut one down and didn't do anything to it.  

I just choke up a couple inches ala A Kim.  IMO modern drivers are too long.

Ive played with lead tape before and if you use a lot you can influence ballflight.  

I always wanted to try hot melt,  but I am not serious enough.  I would think the ideal weight addition would be as close as possible to the clubs cog as designed.

Its like if you get used to a persimmon driver and then switch modern.  Takes some getting used to.

Edited by Jack Watson

Jack- This is not rocket science. The Prorythmic  scale will give 2 readings- Swing weight and Total weight. Swing weight is a balance between grip end and club head. You have a 45.5"  driver that reads D-2 but you want 44" - so you cut off 1.5" - Now your looking at low C swing weight. Your starting std grip weight is 52 grams - So they go to their Techies and they are told to add 12 grams to the head weight. That makes the total weight heavier. So you find a ultra light grip ( WINN LITE ) 26 gram grip in O/S. Now your back in the low Ds and the total weight is lighter.   Again Why raise the bridge when you can lower the water?

@pgone

I understand that,  I am simply saying for myself that choking up works well in practice,  for me,  without getting a certain sw back.  I just never found that playing with sw/total weight made much difference in reality for me.    I think people get way too anal about these things.

For me the length has far more effect.  I'm average dimensions and choke up a bit on most of my clubs and get better results.

Jack- I know you understand that - Choking down on the grip reminds me of trying to lay down a bunt. The golf industry has them all bent over, they seem to enjoy it!!      Plenty of ways to skin a cat in this business.

23 hours ago, pgone said:

Jack- This is not rocket science. The Prorythmic  scale will give 2 readings- Swing weight and Total weight. Swing weight is a balance between grip end and club head. You have a 45.5"  driver that reads D-2 but you want 44" - so you cut off 1.5" - Now your looking at low C swing weight. Your starting std grip weight is 52 grams - So they go to their Techies and they are told to add 12 grams to the head weight. That makes the total weight heavier. So you find a ultra light grip ( WINN LITE ) 26 gram grip in O/S. Now your back in the low Ds and the total weight is lighter.   Again Why raise the bridge when you can lower the water?

I get what you're saying, but sometimes lowering the water won't work. Or you might have to do a little of both.

In your example, cutting off 1.5" reduces the swingweight by about 9 points.  Using a 26g grip vs. a 52g grip increases the SW back by about 6.5 points.  But what if I don't want a Winn Lite grip?  If I want the same grip that was on the driver before, then you have to raise the bridge.

Something else I believe, and you might have found this to be true also... the head weight feel of D2 in a club that is 45.5" with a 55g shaft and a 52g grip is not going to be the same head weight feel as D2 in a club that is 44" with an 80g shaft and 26g grip.  

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• 11 months later...

Found this in my archives.  It's from 2014, but still interesting to see:

1741478710_driverlengthsontour.PNG.5b090438e9787122c45b209dec0cb5fa.PNG

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2111 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!