IGNORED

Might be Looking into a Launch Monitor

Note: This thread is 1868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Apologize in advance if this was something that was easy to find. I didn't find an answer with a google search that satisfied me. 

Im really like the way my game is coming a long and I'd like to get an inexpensive launch monitor (swing caddie sc300) but all the courses I would practice or play at have either older balls and range balls for the driving range. 

I assume I'd likely see a difference in driver distance but I don't know how much and I'm not sure what I'd expect out of the numbers with my irons with range balls vs my game balls. I'm mostly interested in my distances with irons and a lot interested it seeing actual distances for my wedges and be able to chart that but I don't want to invest the money in a launch monitor if my practice and data won't translate well to an actual round of golf. 

Thanks in advance for any input 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From many experiments conducted by on line pros like Rick Sheils and Mark Crossfield, it seems like new range balls are roughly the same as standard golf balls.

My own experience is about the same. The difference is that range balls vary so much individually that you have to know if a ball is dead or not?

So, your idea getting a launch monitor is pretty smart. Most serious golfers would probably get one if they could afford an accurate one.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

26 minutes ago, Lihu said:

From many experiments conducted by on line pros like Rick Sheils and Mark Crossfield, it seems like new range balls are roughly the same as standard golf balls.

My own experience is about the same. The difference is that range balls vary so much individually that you have to know if a ball is dead or not?

So, your idea getting a launch monitor is pretty smart. Most serious golfers would probably get one if they could afford an accurate one.

I am not that much interested, but only so in a curious manner. I have seen a few advertised recently that are not all that expensive. The last one was only $141 or something and seemed to be pretty much the same as Game Golf, except that it clipped on the back of your glove. It has a display to read without having to refer to your I-phone. I do not remember the name.

They claim it can record your swing, tempo and allow you to refer back to it. All the usual stats, SS, Head Speed, Smash, AoA, e.t.c.  and data is then stored in the cloud.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

25 minutes ago, Lihu said:

The swing caddie is only like 350 bucks which isn't bad and from reviews I've read is pretty accurate so I'd be happy w that. I'd just hate to have a certain swing practiced for a 75 yard shot and the execute it in the course and have it fall 10 yards short 

I don't know that I'd call it "cheap" per se but I have the SkyTrak and love it.  I've used it at a couple of local ranges and have had very mixed results with distances, none of which were accurate to my actual distances on the course.  That said, I mostly use it in my garage hitting bay with real golf balls or at a small practice range near my house where I hit and shag my own balls and the distances in those environments are spot on.  If you've got access to a range with real golf balls (e.g. ProV1, etc) then I think it's much more reliable.  Otherwise I'd fully expect to see distances on the range be a little off.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

16 hours ago, Hacker James said:

I am not that much interested, but only so in a curious manner. I have seen a few advertised recently that are not all that expensive. The last one was only $141 or something and seemed to be pretty much the same as Game Golf, except that it clipped on the back of your glove. It has a display to read without having to refer to your I-phone. I do not remember the name.

They claim it can record your swing, tempo and allow you to refer back to it. All the usual stats, SS, Head Speed, Smash, AoA, e.t.c.  and data is then stored in the cloud.

I found the one I was talking about. Don't know if its any good or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Zepp-Golf-3D-Swing-Analyzer/dp/B01CL9802W/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1489851794&sr=8-17&keywords=golf+launch+monitor

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

On 3/18/2017 at 10:46 AM, Hacker James said:

I sold some bicycle stuff and picked up a Zepp 2 today. I got it for more of a swing tool than a launch monitor so I don't know yet how it functions. 

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

3 minutes ago, treebound said:

I sold some bicycle stuff and picked up a Zepp 2 today. I got it for more of a swing tool than a launch monitor so I don't know yet how it functions. 

I'm sure the membership would like a first hand review when you get it figured out.   :whistle:

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I'll see what I can do. 

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

On 3/20/2017 at 7:23 AM, Divotmaker77 said:

It will be a little more expensive that the Swingcaddie and other devices, but this new device from Flightscope is intriguing.

http://flightscopemevo.com/#!/

I would have to think a number of courses will be picking that up so that they can start to advertise that they do fittings. I'll be curious to see how accurate it is, though I imagine the production quality will be as high as anything from Flightscope.

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2017 at 6:23 AM, Divotmaker77 said:

It will be a little more expensive that the Swingcaddie and other devices, but this new device from Flightscope is intriguing.

http://flightscopemevo.com/#!/

6 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I would have to think a number of courses will be picking that up so that they can start to advertise that they do fittings. I'll be curious to see how accurate it is, though I imagine the production quality will be as high as anything from Flightscope.

I'm not sure how it's better than a $200 Ernest Sports ES12 radar unit? It would be interesting to compare it to the higher end $600 ES14-pro radar as well?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

I'm not sure how it's better than a $200 Ernest Sports ES12 radar unit? It would be interesting to compare it to the higher end $600 ES14-pro radar as well?

The ES12 is pretty abysmal when it comes to accuracy, from what I saw. It has over 16% error in the carry distance category and nearly 3% error in ball speed, which are also the only two stats that it can measure. The ES14 is more accurate, but also more expensive than this unit. It has 5% error in carry distance, 1.35% error in ball speed, 3.86% error in swing speed, and then a whopping 29.08% error for spinrate and 20.14% error in launch angle. The spinrate and launch angle measurements are pretty bad and I would be willing to bet practiced people like @iacas could guess those things more accurately than the ES14. If the Flightscope is more accurate in even just the launch angle category, people will buy it over the ES14 because the ES14 is simply too inaccurate to do rudimentary fittings with (in terms of launch and spin).

source

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

The ES12 is pretty abysmal when it comes to accuracy, from what I saw. It has over 16% error in the carry distance category and nearly 3% error in ball speed, which are also the only two stats that it can measure. The ES14 is more accurate, but also more expensive than this unit. It has 5% error in carry distance, 1.35% error in ball speed, 3.86% error in swing speed, and then a whopping 29.08% error for spinrate and 20.14% error in launch angle. The spinrate and launch angle measurements are pretty bad and I would be willing to bet practiced people like @iacas could guess those things more accurately than the ES14. If the Flightscope is more accurate in even just the launch angle category, people will buy it over the ES14 because the ES14 is simply too inaccurate to do rudimentary fittings with (in terms of launch and spin).

I could. And regularly do (then look back at the Flightscope to see if I was close).

I spent a day or two watching Titleist driver fittings years ago and by the end I could guess spin and launch angle to within about 100 RPM and 0.5°, and carry to within 5 yards. It was weird.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In reply to the flight scope mevo, here is a comment from elsewhere.  The poster implied the info came from flight scope but u never know.

"Here is some more crucial information. It measures spin but not spin axis. It potentially can measure horizontal azumuth but it wont be displayed. It will not measure any chips or putts at all. You need 8 feet distance to screen or net and 6-7 feet behind the golfer for it to work. So you need 14-15 feet of depth. It absolutely needs sticker on the ball. There are no plans for simulation (yet!!!!!). it really is here to compete with ES14 stype of units. I questions its spin measurement as possibly calculation involved. They told me that only total spin is measured. I am hoping to get a test unit! keep you posted"

A few comments if the above are true:. Without spin axis, depiction of accurate ball flight is not possible.  Also lack of putting n chipping would rule out simulator use. Also required stickers almost rules out range use

Agreed this is all speculation at this point.  We will just have to wait till unit ships to see what it is capable of.

Edited by Fsgolfer
Correct wordind

42 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

source

Voice Caddy (SC100) looks very good! So, I wonder how Flightscope would compare to that?

Sky Caddy looks to be like a mini GC2, and I really like GC2 numbers. They make sense once you figure out how it does things. The $2000 is far more than I would pay for a LM, though, so maybe there is someplace Mevo can fit?

39 minutes ago, iacas said:

I could. And regularly do (then look back at the Flightscope to see if I was close).

I spent a day or two watching Titleist driver fittings years ago and by the end I could guess spin and launch angle to within about 100 RPM and 0.5°, and carry to within 5 yards. It was weird.

We just need to figure out how to clone you and package your clones, and your clones can help fix our swings in real time to boot! :-D

12 minutes ago, Fsgolfer said:

In reply to the flight scope memo, here is a comment from elsewhere.  The poster implied the info came from flight scope but u never know.

"Here is some more crucial information. It measures spin but not spin axis. It potentially can measure horizontal azumuth but it wont be displayed. It will not measure any chips or putts at all. You need 8 feet distance to screen or net and 6-7 feet behind the screen for it to work. So you need 14-15 feet of depth. It absolutely needs sticker on the ball. There are no plans for simulation (yet!!!!!). it really is here to compete with ES14 stype of units. I questions its spin measurement as possibly calculation involved. They told me that only total spin is measured. I am hoping to get a test unit! keep you posted"

A few comments if the above are true:. Without spin axis, depiction of accurate ball flight is not possible.  Also lack of putting n chipping would rule out simulator use. Also required stickers almost rules out range use

Agreed this is all speculation at this point.  We will just have to wait till unit ships to see what it is capable of.

Good post. Let us know your results.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Voice Caddy (SC100) looks very good! So, I wonder how Flightscope would compare to that?

I think they're different products. The flighscope offering will be able to do spinrate and launch angle, neither of which are supported by the SC100. That said, for checking ball speed and swing speed when you practice, if you're so inclined, the SC100 would be a good option it appears. It's not terrible for carry distance either, though it isn't the most accurate.

Note: This thread is 1868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!