IGNORED

Might be Looking into a Launch Monitor

Note: This thread is 1859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I will not be buying the flight scope mevo.  I have a skytrak which I am happy with it.  I was just passing along info on the mevo that I had read.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Fsgolfer said:

I will not be buying the flight scope mevo.  I have a skytrak which I am happy with it.  I was just passing along info on the mevo that I had read.  

How do you like the skytrak?  What plan do you have?   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd love to see Flightscope's analysis of one of my spectacular shanks. It would probably just start to smoke and self implode.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I have only had the skytrak for about 2.5 months, but am very pleased to date.  At this point I only have the basic $100/yr. game improvement package which has given me all I need to work on various shots/issues.  I hit into a net return pro in my garage, laptop feeding a 48" flatscreen tv for viewing.   Prior to that I had an optishot which I still have although a buddy has said he wants to buy same but still waiting for the cash.  While I believe the optishot can be helpful, my confidence in its shot depiction was intermittent.  I would practice on the opti but would always feel the need to verify with range work if this is actually what I am seeing on the screen is realistic.

with the skytrak I have a higher confidence level, maybe 95% plus, the unit is accurate, and this is verified later actually playing.  For instance, IRL and as depicted by skytrak when I first started with it, my middle to low irons and hybrids would be very low launch, with no ability to hold greens.  However, I worked on raising the vertical launch in skytrak without flipping and I am very pleased with on course results.   Skytrak provides a measured vertical launch angle number which appears very accurate while the opti basically computes that from your entered club lofts.  Spin axis and amount of spin also are measured by the skytrak and it also appears accurate.  When hitting low spin balls versus say a urethene covered ball like proV1, backspin jumps anywhere from 2-4000 more rpm depending on club and strike.   A friend of mine, who uses a proV1, also hit on my system and was amazed it showed this so dramatically.   All in all, I think at the skytrak price point, it's the best out there at the moment,  the next jump would be to a gs2 system, which I believe is in the $4-4500 range.  

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
On 3/23/2017 at 1:56 PM, Fsgolfer said:

Also required stickers almost rules out range use

Sticker sheets are like $10 for a few thousand. I think you could still use it at the range if you wanted.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Did you ever notice that people with higher handicaps tend to have more expensive toys?

Not a commonality mind you, just an observation. Perhaps the + golfers do not need them as they already know their numbers and such. Of course, those who are also instructors and/or coaches normally also have the more expensive monitors e.t.c. 

"I think I will buy that $500 driver and all my woes will be gone"

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Did you ever notice that people with higher handicaps tend to have more expensive toys?

No.

Generally speaking lower handicappers spend more on golf. They play more, practice more, take lessons more, and in general, devote more of their life (time, income, etc.) to the sport.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

No.

Generally speaking lower handicappers spend more on golf. They play more, practice more, take lessons more, and in general, devote more of their life (time, income, etc.) to the sport.

I believe this to be true but I think that higher handicap players spend more $$ on quick fix gadgets.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

@iacas.   Yes I realize the stickers are inexpensive but just the hassle of putting stickers on a large bucket of balls would not thrill me.  And I am not sure how the range would feel about u  doing that, maybe they wouldn't care or maybe they come off when washed but it still may be an issue, with range owners, not sure.

@hacker James   Ha Ha yes buy yourself a better game, but isn't that what the OEM's want and encourage, LOL.  

Seriously my motivation was as a basically beginner golfer at the age of 57 (three years ago), was a few of my friends started playing, also hackers, some regular players but none under a 10 handicap I would say, and I found the game enjoyable, fun, but extremely challenging(f'n hard).   After playing and hacking my way down the fairway (and in and out of the fairway), I started reading things on the Internet.  This site has helped me the most, 5 simple keys, swing thoughts, etc.. Still need to buy LSW.   

But, as a tennis player since about age 8, played in high school, still play 4.0 doubles once or twice a week, I knew I needed practice to really improve.  In short, took some lessons, starting going to range once or twice a week, etc. 

and James you have the luxury of California weather, here in Midwest normal decent outdoor playing weather is from maybe mid April to end of October.  So I decided to get a net for the garage.  I see u have one outside, not practical here.  I got net return pro as I can break down quickly if needed, and it has a resale value, unlike a homemade system.  I can also say it is very high quality and made in USA.  Highly recommend to anyone.  The optishot was relatively cheap, $250, and I might say much better than hitting into a net blindly.   Also played a lot of simulation rounds with buddies in the middle of winter,  a fun activity.  But as I say above, wanted something more accurate, and and skytrak subsequently followed, so here I am, addicted to this silly game as long as I can play.   

By the way your byline doesn't even have a handicap estimate.  Mine is guess only, I am currently shooting anywhere from mid 80's to mid 90's, but no official handicap.  I call myself a bogey golfer.   And proud of it!!!   Whatever rocks your boat.

15 hours ago, Fsgolfer said:

By the way your byline doesn't even have a handicap estimate.  Mine is guess only, I am currently shooting anywhere from mid 80's to mid 90's, but no official handicap.  I call myself a bogey golfer.   And proud of it!!!   Whatever rocks your boat.

20.2 currently.  Low of 18.6  maintained on homemade spreadsheet that follows GHIN formulae. Lowest score 78 (after a nearly ten year hiatus from playing), but can't seem to break 80 now.

I don't get out to actual courses much more than 2 or 3 times a month if that. Lots of outdoor swatting though (with purpose). I make pretty good use of outdoor space, net, turf, training aids, pitch/chip  from about 50 ft. btw, my comments regarding use of monitors and such was in general. I seemed to notice that several mid to high cappers have them, but as you point out, they are not quite as expensive as I imagined. Also I am a compulsive "tinkerer", making things from whatever I can piece together.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 1 year later...
On 3/26/2017 at 5:03 AM, iacas said:

Sticker sheets are like $10 for a few thousand. I think you could still use it at the range if you wanted.

Instead of stickers, would it also work if I mark a dot on the ball? Maybe that's why I see so many balls with a mark on them at our driving range.

I saw the FlightScope Mevo ad on TST and wonder if anyone has used it and how your experience was, specifically with setting it up - aligning, distance to 'T' and changing the club choice on the app.

Nave

1 hour ago, Nave said:

Instead of stickers, would it also work if I mark a dot on the ball? Maybe that's why I see so many balls with a mark on them at our driving range.

I saw the FlightScope Mevo ad on TST and wonder if anyone has used it and how your experience was, specifically with setting it up - aligning, distance to 'T' and changing the club choice on the app.

A few of us have it. There are couple of threads on it. For the most part, it works pretty good. There are some differences in reading if you are hitting into a net versus at the range. But overall, it is a good unit.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

17 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

A few of us have it.

Excellent, that's what I'm going to tell my wife when I buy it this summer. Thank you for the explanation and links to the other posts.

Nave

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:31 PM, iacas said:

They also tend to buy golf clubs more frequently. There are a ton of high handicap golfers that will play 10+ year old clubs. I've bought 3 drivers over the past 6 seasons, and two sets of irons. That is probably more money on clubs than they spent in their entire life.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

They also tend to buy golf clubs more frequently. There are a ton of high handicap golfers that will play 10+ year old clubs. I've bought 3 drivers over the past 6 seasons, and two sets of irons. That is probably more money on clubs than they spent in their entire life.

True but there are exception. I have a friend who play 2-3 times a year and wanted to buy himself a 1000$ iron set thinking it will make him play better. Maybe he though it was his club that were making him play poorly and not the lack of practice/play! I play 20-25 times a year and it took me 6 years to change my beginner set irons to something decent! It all depends on the budget you have and the priority golf have in your life I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

To answer your question, simply take either the SC200, SC300, ES12, ES14, or FlightScope Mevo to an indoor facility where you can play or hit your preferred golf balls. Here in San Antonio, TX, that's Golf Galaxy, San Pedro Driving Range, Dave & Busters, certain Dick's and/or Academy Sporting goods, etc (sadly no more XGolf). The Doppler radar systems I mentioned earlier will be able to handle your preferred golf balls indoors. Enjoy! 

• iacas changed the title to Might be Looking into a Launch Monitor
Note: This thread is 1859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!