Jump to content
IGNORED

Favorite Lesser-known/Under the radar Pro Golfer


Note: This thread is 1531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

So we all seem to have a favorite golfer or 2 or 3 from the pool of "big names" on tour.  Usually when in a group I find that at least a few guys say their favorite golfer is one of those that can be found near the top of the World Golf Rankings (amongst the Mickelsons, Spieths, DJs, Rorys, etc of the world).  However, who are some guys that you like to follow closely that may not be a household name?  The reasons can vary, whether they have done something off the course that you admire, hail from your hometown, etc.

 

For me, being a Clemson grad, I like to follow the guys on Tour that went to Clemson, like Lucas Glover, Kyle Stanley, Sam Saunders, Ben Martin, Jonathan Byrd, etc.  I also enjoy keeping up with other guys from South Carolina like Kevin Kisner, William McGuirt, Wesley Bryan, and Bill Haas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, tigerrag said:

So we all seem to have a favorite golfer or 2 or 3 from the pool of "big names" on tour.  Usually when in a group I find that at least a few guys say their favorite golfer is one of those that can be found near the top of the World Golf Rankings (amongst the Mickelsons, Spieths, DJs, Rorys, etc of the world).  However, who are some guys that you like to follow closely that may not be a household name?  The reasons can vary, whether they have done something off the course that you admire, hail from your hometown, etc.

 

For me, being a Clemson grad, I like to follow the guys on Tour that went to Clemson, like Lucas Glover, Kyle Stanley, Sam Saunders, Ben Martin, Jonathan Byrd, etc.  I also enjoy keeping up with other guys from South Carolina like Kevin Kisner, William McGuirt, Wesley Bryan, and Bill Haas.

I follow guys that went to Alabama. (BTW tigerrag I hate you and Hunter Renfrow haha jk) He is probably not considered lesser known, but I like Robert Rock. Love his swing and as a bald dude I envy that flow of his.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Since I grew up in Utah, I follow Tony Finau and like him. Kisner is probably my favorite right now because I feel like his personality and how he grew up is a lot like how I grew up with a tight bunch of buddies.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
13 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

Since I grew up in Utah, I follow Tony Finau and like him. Kisner is probably my favorite right now because I feel like his personality and how he grew up is a lot like how I grew up with a tight bunch of buddies.

I like Finau too. He is one of the Pros in the Golf Strong videos I reviewed for TST.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/training/sklz_golf_strong_video_program_review

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am always rooting for Joost Luiten, Thomas Pieters and Nicolas Colsaerts. New kids on the block could be Thomas Detry and Darius van Driel.

All Dutch and Belguim pro's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If he's still considered under the radar my vote would be Justin Thomas. I have a good feeling he will get a major maybe even a few. It would be fun seeing him and Spieth battling it out on a Sunday in a major. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Couple lesser known guys I watch are Brice Garnett and Kevin streelman.  Brice grew up near me and played some junior events and college nearby. My brother in law grew up playing basketball with Kevin so I like to see those guys do well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/20/2017 at 5:09 PM, MuniGrit said:

Kisner is probably my favorite right now because I feel like his personality and how he grew up is a lot like how I grew up with a tight bunch of buddies.

Same here.  Anyone who gets banned from his club for racing carts can't be that uptight and full of himself.  He might be a little too lackadaisical to really contend and win consistently but I do like that he seems like "one of the guys."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, knucklebuster said:

I like Johnathon Vegas,mainly because he has ability to score super low on a good day.

Johnny Vegas- sound like he should be headlining at the Sands. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Brian Stuard - kid from my hometown (1 win) - turned pro in 2005, played the Web.com until 2010 when he qualified for the PGA tour for a year, then bounced back & forth until winning last years New Orleans event.

Also Ryan Brehm, first year on tour @ 30 years old, and first former Spartan to make the show.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Brian Stuard - kid from my hometown (1 win) - turned pro in 2005, played the Web.com until 2010 when he qualified for the PGA tour for a year, then bounced back & forth until winning last years New Orleans event.

Also Ryan Brehm, first year on tour @ 30 years old, and first former Spartan to make the show.

Whoa, is he really the first Michigan State player to play on the PGA tour?  That's a pretty crazy stat/fact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, tigerrag said:

Whoa, is he really the first Michigan State player to play on the PGA tour?  That's a pretty crazy stat/fact.

I was wrong, only one currently on the men's tour, first one since at least the early 2000's (they list players in PGA events, but most were in the Buick Open and I'm guessing Monday qualifiers). The program highlight was in 2009 when Jack Newman played the Masters, as the Public Links champion.

The women's programs has had a few on the LPGA, but the one "everyone" know is Holly Niederkohr - you know her when she changed her name for TV to Holly Sonders

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like Tony Finau. A lot....  What a fun swing to watch! But IMO anybody who ends up on the cover of Golf Digest kinda looses their status as a 'lesser known pro'.

KJ Choi was ( maybe still is but doesn't seem to be a factor much anymore) always easy to root for..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

KJ Choi was ( maybe still is but doesn't seem to be a factor much anymore) always easy to root for..

When I volunteered at the practice area for the AT&T at Congressional a few years ago, KJ made a special point to thank the volunteers for being there.  The players don't need to do that, I certainly don't expect it from them, but when one of them does, it shows a real touch of class.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Doughboysigep
      Doughboysigep
      (48 years old)
    2. gf-ollie
      gf-ollie
      (30 years old)
    3. IcyInMyEyes
      IcyInMyEyes
      (39 years old)
    4. JB5082
      JB5082
      (20 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...