IGNORED

2017 WGC Match Play in Austin, TX

iacas
Note: This thread is 2559 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

They're doing a whole "selection show" right now on Golf Channel.

Spieth, Moore, Ikeda, and Tanihara are in the first group. Group 5.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is one of my favorite tournaments of the year. I really liked the course last year, too. I'm excited to catch as much of this as I can.

That said, they use the World Rankings for the seedings on this, right? How the hell is Alex Noren an 8 seed? I have honestly never seen a single shot of his. He hasn't won a single event that's on par with any PGA tournament, but he's an 8 seed. How is Yuta Ikeda 37? Who is he? Probably a different topic, but why do the World Rankings reward people winning second-rate tournaments so much? Every year there's some random European who wins events with fields similar to the Puerto Rico Open that gets into the top 15 or so.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Favorite regular/WGC event of the year.  Beautiful course, match play, great field, 5 days.  I conveniently scheduled a home maintenance visit for 1p today so I can watch the day 1 matches.  Can't wait.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

That said, they use the World Rankings for the seedings on this, right? How the hell is Alex Noren an 8 seed?

He's 11th in the OWGR…

Plays mostly in Europe, got hot at the end of '16 or start of this year.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

410 yards McIlroy, just missed spectator and cart, downhill, downwind, elevation of Austin is 500'.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

McIlroy out

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

McIlroy out

I don't think he's out. They play for points right?

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think he's out. They play for points right?

You're right, totally forgot. Points accumulated from 3 matches. Don't usually pay much attention to this tournament anymore.

Steve

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Is Rory the best driver in the game?

He's up there. Strokes Gained Distance would help quantify it. Dustin Johnson might have something to say about that… http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02567.html

Rory doesn't have enough rounds to qualify. :-)

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

He's up there. Strokes Gained Distance would help quantify it. Dustin Johnson might have something to say about that… http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02567.html

Rory doesn't have enough rounds to qualify. :-)

All I know is that I watch in awe when he's on the tee...DJ too for that matter.

Colin P.

Spieth got krunked.  I'm out.  Worst fkn tournament of the year.  Course terrible, match play sux, horrible field, 5 days?  Too many.  

7 hours ago, Gunther said:

Favorite regular/WGC event of the year.  Beautiful course, match play, great field, 5 days.  I conveniently scheduled a home maintenance visit for 1p today so I can watch the day 1 matches.  Can't wait.

Oh, right.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Would love to see a Match Play at St Andrews one time. With all the potential drivable par-4s, would make for some interesting strategy and would be cool to watch.

Everytime I see Kevin Chappell it's as if I see a mini Dustin Johnson.

Edited by ChrisP

My bracket is immediately busted worse than my march madness bracket. :pound:

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Love watching match play; makes me miss the old Piccadilly World Match Play at Wentworth.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

I love this track other than hole 17. Seems like they were out of room and put a short par 3 under power lines. I absolutely hate courses with power lines. I somehow have hit them 3 times the few times I have played courses with them. I couldn't hit them it I was trying to.

Trollin' is the life

Garcia driver off the deck looks awful slow motion but got him to front of the green. 

• Upvote 1

Steve

Note: This thread is 2559 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!