IGNORED

My Swing (Noobswingz)

NoobSwingz
Note: This thread is 2446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am sure if you cannot do lessons people here will give you great help.

Video from good angles.

In fact at impact with driver I doubt you'll find anyone good with their nose directly over the golf bal.

Right now your understanding is incorrect and if you keep doing your own thing and refuse to listen you will really screw yourself long term.  Take it from me I know.

My opinion stands at least for now put the driver away and learn to hit a basic wedge or nine iron with decent control.

Post up quality video and LISTEN UP!

It really is tough love guy.  Sorry for being so blunt but as of now and what you have posted you are doing everything wrong and if you continue you will ingrain wrongness which will prevent you from ever reaching your potential.

I truly hate to see a person going the wrong way in the beginning especially in this age when video is so easy to do.

IMO your choices now will have a far reaching impact long term on your swing.

Edited by Jack Watson

(edited)

well i got home late and decided to take a few swings....my son came running out so i had him record one. sorry for the lighting, i tried to fix it with some editing!

so my center pivot and spine angle are a little better. It still needs a little more work as i can still see some of it there. keeping my weight a little more forward in the downswing than i was too. any thoughts?

any ideas on this uppercut thing i got going on? its pretty consistent. watch my trail shoulder as im coming down. its like i stop half way and then pivot all my weight around it swinging upward.....which is where im assuming my hook and duck dive come in.

priority still in the pivot of course....just curious the major flaw in downswing with my shoulders

Edited by NoobSwingz

On 3/28/2017 at 8:13 PM, Jack Watson said:

Sorry for being so blunt but as of now and what you have posted you are doing everything wrong

am i really that far off? just when i thought i had come a long way from the start! Its a good thing u didnt see me 6 months ago lol, it was ten times worse. And trust me, im listening.....except for the putting the driver down. i work with my irons just as much as driver.....its just that the driver gets me in the most trouble and has me shooting out of the treeline alot which is why those are the videos ur currently seeing. i havent been playing long so my habits arent totally ingrained yet. which is why im asking here to see what needs to be changed.

i have no problems with criticism. im generally a pretty blunt person myself

10 hours ago, NoobSwingz said:

well i got home late and decided to take a few swings....my son came running out so i had him record one. sorry for the lighting, i tried to fix it with some editing!

so my center pivot and spine angle are a little better. It still needs a little more work as i can still see some of it there. keeping my weight a little more forward in the downswing than i was too. any thoughts?

any ideas on this uppercut thing i got going on? its pretty consistent. watch my trail shoulder as im coming down. its like i stop half way and then pivot all my weight around it swinging upward.....which is where im assuming my hook and duck dive come in.

priority still in the pivot of course....just curious the major flaw in downswing with my shoulders

Below are still shots of you at setup, A4 and A7. I not an expert instructor, but you appear to have too long of a backswing. This is pulling you out of position at the top. You can see your spine angle at A4 being reverse of where you want it to be for a Centered Hip Turn.

NoobswingzA4.jpg

NoobswingzA7.jpg

I would recommend two threads for you to work on this. First, the "Shorter Swing" thread. Many of us, myself included, had the mindset that a fast swing needed a long back swing. That is not the case. Look at Tony Finau and John Rahm on the tour now. They are two long hitters and their backswings, even with driver, look like 3/4 swings. Your top position in the back swing should be a far as it can be while maintaining the centered hip turn. The second thread below discussed that.

Again, I am not an instructor, but I did have this issue early on. I would recommend practicing what "feels" like 3/4 backswings. First, do the drill in the video below from the "Shorter Swing" thread. That is Stephan, my Evolvr instructor. I did this a lot, without a club, to get a real sense of where the top of my backswing should be.

The practice slow backswings to that point, over and over. They will feel short to you. But when you film them, they will be longer than what you felt. Again, do this slowly at first as in the last thread at the bottom (5S thread). This is going to take a while for you to reverse the over-swing. But you will eventually get it.  

Post some video of yourself doing the drill without a club, then video with a club of just the backswing to the top. It can be a normal speed and not slow-mo.

• Upvote 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That ones better than the first.   I'd put the ball further forward like 2-3 more inches.   Looks like your right thumb might be right on top of the shaft at address.  Like to see a grip close up and down the line view.

You finished there without falling back so much.

I still strongly recommend doing a perpetual motion drill at least a couple minutes when you practice just swing the clubhead over the right shoulder then forward over the left shoulder then without stopping back over the right shoulder and so on.  Try to get into a nice flow.  If you keep doing it without stopping the club will find an efficient path.  Great way to find a swing.

IMG_1504.thumb.PNG.ed23dc478058cede3d79ed23726c01a1.PNG

Notice the ball position.

Also he uses the wide stance but does not lock his right knee straight on the backswing.  IMO this combined with the ball position allows a bit of forward push with the pelvis to happen in the downswing.  

On 3/23/2017 at 1:57 PM, NoobSwingz said:

Videos: 

Now look at your 3/31 front leg compared to above.  Your starting to limit your sway and increase your full extension.  More golf, less baseball plant.  Nice.

On 4/2/2017 at 11:09 AM, Jack Watson said:

Like to see a grip close up

I know u and a couple others asked so here it is. Got home late but had my new 7 iron waiting on my porch so had to go test it out!

Both thumbs are straight down top of shaft. I tried interlock grip and I refuse to use it, hated it. I very briefly tried rotating my right hand a half inch left so that my thumb was diagonal down left side and the grip basically laid down my finger joints. That felt like I had alot less control of the club and was turning the face closed faster (too fast)

20170403_213905.jpg

Thanks for putting it up!

To me it looks like some work could be done for you here.  I will hang back a bit though for the more qualified to comment.  If they do not in a day or two I will give ya my two cents!

I figured u were gonna tell me to go with the "V" (which is the last one I mentioned....I think lol)

Any chance my current grip is bad for the hands? I dunno if I practice too much or what but Google tells me I have "trigger finger" now....basically tendons are swollen and don't slide right thru the joints 

This is a good thread to check out:

• Upvote 3

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

8 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

This is a good thread to check out:

And in particular, look at how the left hand grip is not in the palm, but more in the fingers of the hand.  The right hand is similar, the grip primarily toward the fingers, the right palm almost covers the left thumb, with the right thumb extending down the front (left) side of the grip.  Yes, you're going to hate the way it feels at first, change ALWAYS feels weird, but its probably going to be a positive change.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Not to overload you with videos...the ones others have posted are great...but I like the way Martin describes the swing and his reference to baseball in this video 'hit home' with me.

If your still in that, "gotta try everything I see," phase of golf then maybe steer clear. If that is the case, search for the 5S's Practice thread and practice what it preaches. ;-)

(p.s. sorry about the puns. :-P)

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

On 4/3/2017 at 7:49 PM, NoobSwingz said:

I know u and a couple others asked so here it is. Got home late but had my new 7 iron waiting on my porch so had to go test it out!

Both thumbs are straight down top of shaft. I tried interlock grip and I refuse to use it, hated it. I very briefly tried rotating my right hand a half inch left so that my thumb was diagonal down left side and the grip basically laid down my finger joints. That felt like I had alot less control of the club and was turning the face closed faster (too fast)

20170403_213905.jpg

Can you replicate this in the left hand? (Pic)  IMO if you wrap the hand around the grip from here the left thumb for most people should not be on top of the grip as you look at it.

as you look at it in some degree it should sit on the right side of the grip.  

imo it should feel very much in the fingers.

So my advice is this in relation to your grip now.  To me it looks like your hands are slightly too far apart and your left hand is too weak.

Weak golf grip vs strong is easily searchable.

i like everything Ben Hogan said in Five Lessons on grip except for most people a slightly stronger grip orientation works better.

No reason not to post up another pic and see what the response is.!  

IMG_1507.thumb.PNG.b84564dd2c9177f36043977d4a8e09d6.PNG

Edited by Jack Watson
  • Upvote 1

Ya my grip was definitely Palmy. I'm in the process of trying to change it to replicate Mike's grip post. I haven't had but about 20 mins to work on it this week. But I'm definitely doing it wrong.....I know his post is pretty dummy-proof but I'm missing something.

Have loss of movement in my wrist and killing my left (middle)thumb joint. Lots of pressure from my palm (lifeline area) on the downswing which hurts and I think is pinching up a tendon in my wrist as I can't hardly load them up, it hurts.

My hands look very similar to how he has it but there has to be 100 different tiny variations I've tried lol. Can't seem to get my thumb in a comfortable pocket without a ton of pressure.

And where is your pinky? I have all 4 right hand fingers on the grip but is there not room for that? I'll post a pic up hopefully later today

Maybe I figured it out....there doesn't seem to be room for my pinky....makes my right hand too far down and that gets my palm on top of my thumb applying pressure.

I didnt think about moving my hand up cuz it seems so unconventional to not have the club actually in my hand lol

Note: This thread is 2446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!