IGNORED

My Swing (NCGolfer)

NCGolfer
Note: This thread is 2218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ncgolfer101/round/1588076

Not a bad round.  Irons were not completely sharp but still hit 8 greens.  Putting was rough...greens were still a bit bumpy since they were punched a few weeks back.  Really happy with the tee ball.  Even though I pulled a couple they were not hooks...just a bit of club face control with the new swing. Three of the drives, 11, 15 and 16 were absolutely flushed and perfect ball flights.  The one on 16 I aimed exactly where it landed and didn't think I could reach the bunker.

Playing 18 tomorrow (hopefully).  More on-course work.  :-)

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Yeah, pay attention to the angles of your wrists and/or the radius/ulna:

dave.jpg

others.jpg

Most people, from the top left view, will just come over the top. They sense the sweet spot is out over the top, so they take it left of the plane the entire downswing.

You - like most other better players - try to get it back on plane ASAP… and then the momentum of the club shallowing goes too far and you hit out a bunch.

Done properly - for you - it'll probably feel like the club is pointing almost directly behind you or 45° left of the target line, at least, and that you're wiping across the ball during impact a little.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Done properly - for you - it'll probably feel like the club is pointing almost directly behind you or 45° left of the target line, at least, and that you're wiping across the ball during impact a little.

That's exactly the feeling I'm trying to replicate.  It's a bit hard to do because it is very odd but the progress is good.  One drill i've done in the mirror and on the range that has seem to help a bit is the preset drill:

I'm actually incorporating it a bit into my pre-shot routine and looking back to make sure I'm in a better position at the top.  It's been helpful.

Played today as well...irons were a little shaky at the start but the back nine was better.  Off the tee I don't think I had a better 9 holes in my life with the driver.  With some of these changes I'm actually hitting the ball further now...nice little push draws.  Hit a few excellent ones on the front nine too.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/ncgolfer101/round/1588559

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Good round today.

Need to get some video.  I don't think i'm doing anything different/better at the top of the swing since last time but I'm working and thinking more about 1) making a good, full shoulder turn which is always problematic for me 2) getting the hands in and left through impact and 3) trying not to roll the forearms so quickly...extending through impact.

The snap hooks are very infrequent.  In fact, my last few rounds off the tee:

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 8.57.41 PM.png

My miss is more right than left.  A bit of an overcorrection but now my miss is more of a block draw...something I can play a lot more often than the snap hook.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 2 months later...

The very latest.  Still across the line...finding it hard to work on that and get it fixed.  The downswing/hands in and extending part is going well though.  I've been setting up closer to the ball since I didn't like the posture I saw earlier this year.  I really like where that is at right now.

Problems?  Still consistency.  When I'm on, I'm on and it feels good.  Miss is just a straight pull...not a hook.  If I keep my right elbow/forearm tucked in I almost never have the over-the-top pull.

Oh, and sorry about the red @iacas.  I'm in the blue camp, not @mvmac's red.  :-)

• Upvote 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator
On 9/19/2017 at 2:45 PM, NCGolfer said:

The very latest.  Still across the line...finding it hard to work on that and get it fixed.  The downswing/hands in and extending part is going well though.  I've been setting up closer to the ball since I didn't like the posture I saw earlier this year.  I really like where that is at right now.

It tips out because it loads so shallow, so the across-the-line part is a means of steepening the club somewhat. Then you have to shallow it again during the downswing.

01.jpg

It's not horrible, and people as good as you do worse, but that's something to keep an eye on and look to improve.

Look a bit more like this:

02.jpg

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 6 months later...

Improvement.  Two pieces I'm working on is the last one @iacas mentioned with is loading too shallow.  I'm trying to set my hands a bit faster on the takeaway.  I've always had hands that did not set quickly so it's a bit harder of a change.  Also still focusing on not getting across the line as Erik said, working on the first part should help the second.  It has but I still feel like I have to work on keeping the club pointing almost left of target (which is what it feels like.)

I'm also working on getting my hands a bit more "in" through impact and extending more.  I'm not flipping my hands but I could stand to extend them a little more.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator

Better.

Steeper early, shallow later, yes.

Note: This thread is 2218 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!