IGNORED

Rotating the wrists to straighten a drive: can't do it

Note: This thread is 2518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

48 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

OK. Now it sounds like you and my instructor are on the same page! I started out this thread saying I can't do that.

(Maybe after 1000 reps I could)

I do think that a certain amount of forearm strength is required to do this. I recommend finding some exercises for your forearms if you want to strengthen this move. 

That said, you really aren't listening to @iacas, he is saying this is not something you need to worry about today. There are other things more critical that will help you straighten out your ballflight before worrying about twisting the shaft. 

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

41 minutes ago, wannabe said:

To me, the move being described is basically the way Dustin Johnson's wrists look at the top of his backswing.

Correct?

Not sure which move you're talking about, but DJ doesn't rotate his wrists to make his top of BS look like that, he's bowing his lead wrist, cupping his trail wrist (like a waiter carrying a tray),

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

@gregsandiego , That rotation your instructor is talking about is the most weird difficult "feeling" to get comfortable with if you are not used to letting go. But once you get the feel for it is actually pretty liberating. 

Sometimes technical mechanics are hard to understand but eventually if you get it  you realize, that they do actually make sense and work. 

I recently learned a little drill that helped me with the release and it worked great.  Feet together, while holding the club very softly make small swings feeling every once of the weight of the club, do this back and forth. Your forearms should cross each other, that is what the weight of the club is designed to do, open and close.

If you rush your driver from the top of your downswing, you might not be able to let your hands and forearms rotate as you go thru the shot.  That is when I slice the ball hard and I also push my shots. I pull my driver hard and fast from the top down never letting the head of the club rotate and I'm dead.  So I work on making sure my grip is soft and that I wait for the club to drop down some, then I start picking up speed, it takes patience and relaxation...cause you know we want to bomb that ball down the fair way. So putting the speed at the right time during the swing is huge. 

One last thing, I have the thought of swinging under my right arm/shoulder (left for you)..is just a thought that helps me from coming over the top. 

Now, if I can only do it consistently....:-D

Edited by Hategolf

2 hours ago, wannabe said:

To me, the move being described is basically the way Dustin Johnson's wrists look at the top of his backswing.

Correct?

Yes, the reverse revving the motorcycle feel puts the left wrist into palmar flexion (bowed).

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 9.56.57 AM.png

Originally I thought @gregsandiego was talking about "rolling" the wrists/forearms to close the face, which is not a good feel for most golfers, especially high handicappers who already roll/flip the club.

r401-148F55C084276B741C3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

35 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Yes, the reverse revving the motorcycle feel puts the left wrist into palmar flexion (bowed).

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 9.56.57 AM.png

Originally I thought @gregsandiego was talking about "rolling" the wrists/forearms to close the face, which is not a good feel for most golfers, especially high handicappers who already roll/flip the club.

I have always known 'rolling' to be right hand and forearm over left hand and forearm - this just happens in a good release past impact - no way to deliberately 'time it' with any consistency or even a need at all. I remember thinking wrongly wanting to twist the shaft about it's own axis to close the face for a long time until the last couple of years when I joined TST and read and understood this better.

I guess, the palm flexion 'bowing' as you and @iacas pointed out - you can and should (for most parts) do consciously - eeps the lead wrist in lead through impact and bit past.

I cannot do palm flexion without significant pain mainly due to an old injury through impact but manage to square up (most times) by a weird compensation (as you know).

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

OK. Now it sounds like you and my instructor are on the same page! I started out this thread saying I can't do that.

(Maybe after 1000 reps I could)

I'm sure you could at 10 MPH.

2 hours ago, mchepp said:

That said, you really aren't listening to @iacas, he is saying this is not something you need to worry about today. There are other things more critical that will help you straighten out your ballflight before worrying about twisting the shaft. 

Bingo.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm sure you could at 10 MPH.

Bingo.

Good idea - 10 mph.
And I was listening, just confused about the instruction. 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Good idea - 10 mph.
And I was listening, just confused about the instruction. 

I still don't think this is your priority.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I still don't think this is your priority.

That's clear now. Thanks.

But I still can't hit it straight!

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

That's clear now. Thanks.

But I still can't hit it straight!

Again… Member Swing thread. :-)

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2017 at 10:09 AM, mvmac said:

I had a lesson today. My instructor refers to the move as "supination", as is shown above.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

I had a lesson today. My instructor refers to the move as "supination", as is shown above.

Absent other info I still doubt the prioritization.

Take it however you want (it's cool by me).

On 3/28/2017 at 8:41 AM, nevets88 said:

Not sure which move you're talking about, but DJ doesn't rotate his wrists to make his top of BS look like that, he's bowing his lead wrist, cupping his trail wrist (like a waiter carrying a tray),

Mike shared a picture, but, yeah, this is exactly what Erik is talking about.  DJ doesn't really rotate to i on the downswing because he basically "sets" it at the top.  It is still the position Erik is referring to though.

Bowing lead wrist = motorcycle revving feel. :)

Edited by Golfingdad

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Absent other info I still doubt the prioritization.

Take it however you want (it's cool by me).

I'll take it as one of the many variations that probably exist between any two golf instructors. As long as I can drive 300 yards by summer I don't care.....

If the trajectory is to the right and straight, you do not have an issue with the wrist,  The problem should be a "blocked push".

If alignment is correct, then,  you were not able to shift weight to the left side , staying back on the right or neutral, will cause a blocked push.

Finish transferring weight to the left. 

Edited by Release

52 minutes ago, Release said:

If the trajectory is to the right and straight, you do not have an issue with the wrist,  The problem should be a "blocked push".

If alignment is correct, then,  you were not able to shift weight to the left side , staying back on the right or neutral, will cause a blocked push.

Finish transferring weight to the left. 

If in fact the ball is straight right, then he needs to get his start line just a little left of his path and he'll be hitting nice push draws. Weight shift won't necessarily do that.

Colin P.

3 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Right and like I said (generally) it's not a good feel for most golfers, especially high handicappers who already roll/flip the club.

The release is most likely not your priority but most high handicappers would be better off feeling the opposite, rehearsing it the way DJ or Spieth looks. "Hold" release", right arm under the left for as long as possible, butt of the club extended away from the body.

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 8.43.41 PM.pngjordan-spieth-cropped_7mrsjoq3p6ds115fzj9ah5t17.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Right and like I said (generally) it's not a good feel for most golfers, especially high handicappers who already roll/flip the club.

The release is most likely not your priority but most high handicappers would be better off feeling the opposite, rehearsing it the way DJ or Spieth looks. "Hold" release", right arm under the left for as long as possible, butt of the club extended away from the body.

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 8.43.41 PM.pngjordan-spieth-cropped_7mrsjoq3p6ds115fzj9ah5t17.jpg

Some of the verbiage in this thread gets pretty confusing. But what do you mean "opposite" ? 

That Spieth pose above doesn't contradict anything I've been told. 

Note: This thread is 2518 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!