IGNORED

Rotating the wrists to straighten a drive: can't do it

Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

29 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Some of the verbiage in this thread gets pretty confusing. But what do you mean "opposite" ? 

That Spieth pose above doesn't contradict anything I've been told. 

This (Spieth):

jordan-spieth-driver-post-impact.jpg

would be the opposite of this (left arm supination).

f58299d19c0612230c67dd779f8b80e6.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, mvmac said:

This (Spieth):

OK thanks.  I'll go with whatever my instructors says for now. If I start thinking about multiple concepts I'll go nuts.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Just to echo a couple of other voices, do consider a member swing thread... if your handicap is 30, this is likely nowhere near your top issue. I had a number of lessons before listening to guys like @iacas and @mvmac who quickly pointed out my main issue and each successive piece of advice has been the right one and made a big difference over the last couple of years. It's worth listening to what they have to say.

Additionally, if your goal really is to hit 300 yards this summer but you can't control the face, you probably either want to invest in a lot of cheap balls or set a different goal. Just a thought...

• Upvote 3

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

12 hours ago, colin007 said:

If in fact the ball is straight right, then he needs to get his start line just a little left of his path and he'll be hitting nice push draws. Weight shift won't necessarily do that.

It has nothing to do with the alignment.  Failure to shift weight to the right accounts for most of the blocked shots. 

There is no push draw,. either a pushed fade or a pulled hook would happen from improper weight shift.

But, I had also seen a lot of other cause for the pushed or pulled shots in golf from all different types of golfers.  A nightmare of images all cause by minor issues.

I've read this for a few days about the wrists and simply stated just keep an eye on the thumb at and through impact.

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

What do you mean by this?

Unless there was an alignment issue ( body or the club face , for that matter, a faulty swing path ), I had never seen a "pushed" draw, a golfer would break his arms or his back before a pushed draw could be produced.  I did see many of the pulled slice, which is too easy for human anatomy to produce.

Even an amazing recovery shot in the 2012 the Masters by Bubba Watson was a draw. 

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Release said:

Unless there was an alignment issue ( body or the club face , for that matter, a faulty swing path ), I had never seen a "pushed" draw, a golfer would break his arms or his back before a pushed draw could be produced.  I did see many of the pulled slice, which is too easy for human anatomy to produce.

Even an amazing recovery shot in the 2012 the Masters by Bubba Watson was a draw. 

It's very easy to hit a push draw.

Face 3 degrees right of target. Path 6 right.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

53 minutes ago, Release said:

All "push draw" means is that you start the ball to the right of your target and it draws.  They happen all the time.  As do push fades, pushes, straight shots, straight draws, straight fades, pull draws, pull fades and pulls.

There are nine combinations of path and face and thus nine different resultant shots.  That is physics and it's indisputable.

Wow, this thread got really technical fast. I know I'm a high handicapper but when I started pushing the ball to the right I simply moved the ball forward in my stance, up near top of left foot versus heal. This solved my problem, i.e., giving the face that fraction of a second more to close. I also keep my right elbow closer to my body on the back swing. As I said this worked for me, Ping G driver helped also, (I believe), but I know it is the Indian.......

8 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

All "push draw" means is that you start the ball to the right of your target and it draws.  They happen all the time.  As do push fades, pushes, straight shots, straight draws, straight fades, pull draws, pull fades and pulls.

There are nine combinations of path and face and thus nine different resultant shots.  That is physics and it's indisputable.

Sorry, if the action of pushing the golf ball to the right, recovery take no less than a very fast swing by a very strong golfer.  I know you might believe that I'm confuse of the old ball flight rules but I'm not.

A draw is a draw, not the same as a push.  One might AIM to the right then draw the trajectory, not exactly the same as a pushed shot.   I do know and understand the old ball flight rules.  Could never get all of them right at the same time.

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Then you will be aligned to the right to play a draw shot.  Not a condition for push to the right.

20 minutes ago, Release said:

Then you will be aligned to the right to play a draw shot.  Not a condition for push to the right.

It sounds like you just don't understand the terminology.  You're using "push" to mean something different than the commonly accepted usage, which is any shot that starts to the right of where the (right-handed) golfer is aligned.

I'm not sure what you think a "push" is.

23 minutes ago, Release said:

One might AIM to the right then draw the trajectory, not exactly the same as a pushed shot.

Again, I think you're misunderstanding the terminology.  "Aim" is generally used to indicate the golfer's alignment, not where they intend to hit the ball.  If you align straight at a target, but your clubface at impact is 3 degrees to the right, that's a "push"...even if you're fully intending to aim in that direction.

• Upvote 1

- John

18 hours ago, b101 said:

Just to echo a couple of other voices, do consider a member swing thread... if your handicap is 30, this is likely nowhere near your top issue. I had a number of lessons before listening to guys like @iacas and @mvmac who quickly pointed out my main issue and each successive piece of advice has been the right one and made a big difference over the last couple of years. It's worth listening to what they have to say.

Additionally, if your goal really is to hit 300 yards this summer but you can't control the face, you probably either want to invest in a lot of cheap balls or set a different goal. Just a thought...

Balls aren't a problem at my local range. But i was joking about 300 yards. I think I'm a long way off from there.

And I'm totally open to suggestion. That's why I'm on this board.

20 hours ago, mvmac said:

This (Spieth):

Back in the day this would be called "catch raindrops in your left palm!" It was the way they taught "release" back then.

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Bazinga! This was my standard shot, again, back in the day! I could hit it on command, especially with the driver.

1 hour ago, Release said:

That's just what it's called. Push is just referring to the start line. If you want to hit a draw you should have the face aimed right of the target.

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Back in the day this would be called "catch raindrops in your left palm!" It was the way they taught "release" back then.

And it was just as wrong back then ;-)

Jack.jpgben-hogan.jpg

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

2 hours ago, mvmac said:

Hey @mvmac, did you make this video specifically for this thread?  I see it is dated April 2, 2017.Well if so that is really awesome. Thank you.

20 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Hey @mvmac, did you make this video specifically for this thread?  I see it is dated April 2, 2017.Well if so that is really awesome. Thank you.

Yep, recorded it a couple hours ago, wanted to clarify a few things. 

Mike McLoughlin

3 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Yep, recorded it a couple hours ago, wanted to clarify a few things. 

Well it's  very clear you and Erik don't like supination as a way to square up the club head. The revving thing seems like a similar concept but with a limit. I.e. you don't keep rolling it, you make a small correction. 

Note: This thread is 2512 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!