Sign in to follow this  
onthehunt526

Is the 5 wood dead?

Note: This thread is 977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

90 posts / 9215 viewsLast Reply

On 4/4/2017 at 3:24 PM, Inthetrap said:

I have read, on several occasions, that most players tend to hit a 5w more favorably than a 3w, and if it came down to choice in the bag, the choice should be a 5w.

Golf Digest reported on such tests, which found the average golfer hits the 4W more reliably - and often longer - then the 3W.

That said, a local pro who does a lot of clubsmithing tested out single FWs for over a year. He finally settled on a 5W head with a 4W length shaft.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Golf Digest reported on such tests, which found the average golfer hits the 4W more reliably - and often longer - then the 3W.

That said, a local pro who does a lot of clubsmithing tested out single FWs for over a year. He finally settled on a 5W head with a 4W length shaft.

I can relate to that. I prefer a smaller head size and if you can get the weight and balance right, the longer shaft should in theory give you a bit more carry. 

Personally, and for right now, I am more consistent and sufficiently long and accurate with my Cleveland 3 and 4 hybrids than my Adams 3, 5, even 7 fairways. It could be the shaft and/or weight difference...I don't know. But the FW clubs are in the bag right now. -Marv

Personally I have only carried a Driver and a 3 wood since the mid 80's, so maybe I am just slow to change.   I still use and love my 2 irons. 

To each their own I suppose.

I hit two greens with my 5w on Friday and a 218yd tee shot with it today (I'm averaging less than 220 with my driver so far this year). Not saying I'd put money of it happening much, but the club provides a bit more confidence on tighter fairways or on greens that are just a bit too long for my 4i.

There's a substantial gap between my 4i and my 5w, but I've had some success over the years gripping down on the 5w and taking a shorter swing to get those in-between distances.

There are some lies that I can't use this club for, but really, bad lies are tough regardless of what club I'm using.

I find a 5w much easier to hit than a 3w, and find the gain in yardage for a 3W really not that much better. Its the most consistent club I carry.

On 3/27/2017 at 0:29 PM, WUTiger said:

I've played a 4W + 7W + 4H for four years.

One of our TST guys, @Mr. Desmond, has a 4W, 7W, 9W + two hybrids. It just depends on what works.

Thanks for the note - I did have the above blend of clubs, but like everything else, the bag changes as the swing improves or goes into the tank.

I've found a  4wd, 7 wd combo works well - at the same time, they are set at 42.5 and 41.5 inches, respectively, for better consistency.

The XR16 9 wood is not as accurate as i can be with it (prefer the GBB head with a 65g KK Silver), and I've gone to a 23.5-25 Hy, then 5-Gap as I found the PXG XF 6i is big enough and easy enough to launch, and are more accurate than the wood or hybrid - or at least I have confidence in it - you get a light enough shaft - 62g in a 5i with a forgiving head, and it may launch well with a decent swing. So I ordered a XF 5i.

Of course, I keep the 28 hy around in the event I want something really easy to launch.

As to a 5 wd, have one but do not bag it. If you have a 3 wd, then the traditional 3, 5 combo may work.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

I'm starting this back up, because of a few factors coming into fruition that I would like to discuss.

I watched a WITB video where Rory had taken his 5-wood out in favor of the P790 2-iron. 

Tiger has also kept the 5-wood out in favor of an RSI TP 2-iron.

It used to be if you hit the ball in medium rough, you'd use a 5-wood or 7-wood to get the hell out.

I know hybrids came about, and other factors. What other factors are killing the 5-wood?

I used to have a 5w. It was my favorite club until it developed a hairline fracture in the shaft. Found out it would cost more to buy a new shaft and reshaft it than I originally spent on it (bought it on clearance).

It had its limitations, though. As I got better, I started to hit a 2h just as well and the hybrid is more versatile. I didn't do well with the 5w out of the rough.

2018 spot check: 5Ws are alive and well in several tour pro bags.

Michelle Wie won the HSBC Women's World Champ with an interesting mix of Callaway fairway woods:
       GBB Epic 3W (15*) and 7W (21*) PLUS Rogue 5W (19*) and 11W (25*)

Gary Woodland won the 2018 WM Phoenix Open with two TM fairways:
      (2017) M2... 3W 15* and 5W (set to 21*)

16 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I watched a WITB video where Rory had taken his 5-wood out in favor of the P790 2-iron. 

Rory McIlroy won the Palmer Invitational carrying  two TM fairway woods:
       M3... 3W 15* and 5W 19* // The swapout that OTH mentions may have been for a particular course rather than permanent change.

Palmer defending champ Mark Leischmann carried the Rogue 3W (15*) and 5W (set to 21*).

12 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

2018 spot check: 5Ws are alive and well in several tour pro bags.

Michelle Wie won the HSBC Women's World Champ with an interesting mix of Callaway fairway woods:
       GBB Epic 3W (15*) and 7W (21*) PLUS Rogue 5W (19*) and 11W (25*)

Gary Woodland won the 2018 WM Phoenix Open with two TM fairways:
      (2017) M2... 3W 15* and 5W (set to 21*)

Rory McIlroy won the Palmer Invitational carrying  two TM fairway woods:
       M3... 3W 15* and 5W 19* // The swapout that OTH mentions may have been for a particular course rather than permanent change.

Palmer defending champ Mark Leischmann carried the Rogue 3W (15*) and 5W (set to 21*).

Rory may have switched for Bay Hill, but I know he had 2-iron in when the WITB video was filmed at either Riviera or Honda.

In the MGS study, which was interesting, the in all handicap ranges, the bridge clubs between 3 wood and longest iron, the 5-wood has seen a decline. So it's not just on the Tour, it's the rest of us, too.

I currently hit a Driver 265, and my 19 degree hybrid 235.    

I feel like I should have a 3W or 5W, but just am not sure that gap necessitates another club.   

Couple things...I'm not Rory or Tiger so I don't see a 2 iron going in my bag.  I'm not good with hybrids...hook machines.  I've always been good with fairway woods so I used to carry driver, 5 wood ( 18 degree) then 4 iron etc...

i recently went to an m1 4 wood so I can loft it up to 18.5 if I want or play it at 16.5 standard. So toward the end of last season I used driver, 4+ wood and then 4 iron etc..

Depends on the pro I think.  Believe it or not, some pros have more confidence hitting one type of club over the other just like us.

3 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Couple things...I'm not Rory or Tiger so I don't see a 2 iron going in my bag.  I'm not good with hybrids...hook machines.  I've always been good with fairway woods so I used to carry driver, 5 wood ( 18 degree) then 4 iron etc...

i recently went to an m1 4 wood so I can loft it up to 18.5 if I want or play it at 16.5 standard. So toward the end of last season I used driver, 4+ wood and then 4 iron etc..

Depends on the pro I think.  Believe it or not, some pros have more confidence hitting one type of club over the other just like us.

What hybrid(s) have you tried? 

The one in my bag currently you cannot miss off the lot into the third base seats left. I have the Exotics CBX Hybrid. You cannot miss this thing off the lot left. If you mis-hit it where it would go left. (AKA the old toe hook) It more or less toe-straights or possibly toe-draws slightly. Your not going to pull it 50 yards off-line with it.

Note: This thread is 977 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!