IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge April 2017

Note: This thread is 2545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4/6:  15 min. range session w/mix of slow 1/2 swings w/ball for contact; full swings w/ball focus on leading w/hands into impact
Got in walking of 15 holes; very windy down here in Bama today, so worked on flighting shots when into wind (or severely across); got in some extra work around the greens
**Formal party of UofA students on patio this afternoon--treated to some watching of my range session, then mass screams of "get in the hole!" on my drive off the 10th tee (a par 4).  Was one of my best shots...265-270y draw down the center (a little wind aided...was a quartering tail/side wind), met with raucous cheers, haha.  Glad I didn't blow it in front of the crowd...I would've heard about it.  :banana:

• Upvote 2

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

4/07 - kettle swings for balanced weight shift with focus on centered hip turn.

as one can see, I was having a hard time maintaining rear knee flex through backswing...despite several attempts.

Going to get out this afternoon! Considering I only get to play about 10-15 times /year, it's a big deal. Since starting my priority piece a month or so ago, this will be my first round playing with a more centered hip turn (not perfect by any means, but certainly different than my hip sway). I'm sure I'll suck and get discouraged, but real change is painful I guess.

Edited by woodzie264

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

7/4/17 - Went to the range this morning and did some good work really exaggerating the takeaway feeling. Massively improved my strike with so many more centre hits, but now need to learn to get the face aligned - I'd have a number of 10 yard pushes or even push-fades when I just didn't get it right. 

Have spent a good part of the afternoon working on my putting stroke though and I'm seeing some real improvements. I've worked through lightening my grip pressure, taking the putter away a bit more inside and realised I was aligning the club slightly right of target. My putting mat has a little break on it (only time wonky floorboards ever have a benefit...!) and I'm at about 80% from 6 foot at the moment, which I'm pleased with.

Edited by b101

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

4/7 - Mirror work at the gym. Focused on the turn from the top.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7th April:- Further full swing practice, outdoors, no ball (no space to hit anything here, unfortunately). Have been using the back swing practice pattern that @iacas outlined here:-

I've developed a 'feel' that results in a better A2 position, which I've been using as a check point. I aim to keep on with this over April, using the video camera occasionally to ensure accuracy.

Chris.:roll:

4/7/17

Due to lousy weather, I putted indoors for 10 minutes today.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

25 min

sklz, 7 iron, driver

stop at top, pump, step thru and full swings

3/3 alt 7iron and driver 

good session, feel like just coil and uncoil to deliver club with lag and on target. Tried to tire myself to force lack of form and quit when it started to wobble. Could and should go more when I get back from trip next week

4/7:  20 mins. drills w/OW, aligned w/sun on target line to watch my plane via shadow--stops at top & pumps down, then through and on plane; mixing full swings in (for both plane work, lead-work, and conditioning).  Then, 15 mins. ~25-35y pitches w/my 48deg. wedge, focus on hinge and proper down strikes w/good lead.  Ended with 10 mins. of full swings w/tour striker & foam balls.

Ended session by giving my 13yo daughter her first (non-putting) swing lesson.  Covered the basics--grip, stance/setup, plane, and swinging with core.  She's admit she's not an athlete, but she did really well.  Had plenty of solid strikes sending the ball right down the target line, and enjoys it.  Good times.

• Upvote 1

4/7: Played in a 4-man scramble today. We didn't do so hot as a team, and finished at -2. My irons and short game were working really well at first, but kinda went downhill about 6 or 7 holes in. I found my driver (and irons, again) with six to play and we got on a roll and finished strong with 3 pars and 3 birdies.

16 minutes ago, BamaWade said:

Ended session by giving my 13yo daughter her first (non-putting) swing lesson.

Good job, sir. You'll be forever thankful you did this. I'll take golf with my kids over anyone else, any day. ;-) :beer:

• Upvote 1

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

8/4/17 - About 30 minutes of putting work on the mat working at 9 footers trying to tie everything together: grip pressure, alignment and tempo with the metronome going. Really enjoying the way I'm rolling it and it's feeling so much better than it ever has done.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

4/08 - played yesterday and lags were MUCH better. With changes in hip turn, I found myself pushing more than usual.

Today: started with a few mins of wall drills as usual followed by slow swings with focus on steady head, centered turn. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

4/8/17:

Pitched before work mostly focusing on acceleration and keeping my speed...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

April 8 - Shoulder turn work and some putting in the basement. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

20 min Sklz, 7 iron and driver

stop at top, pump, step thru and full swings

3/3 alt 7 iron and driver

got thru the entire set with no repeats because not swinging in form

takeaway feels much better and, in turn, swing thru feels more  consistent.

tomorrow is tough day--no golf, visitors and dinner guests and then I get on a plane for Seattle. Hope to get my swings in at the start of the day

8th April:- Further full swing practice, 6 iron, no ball. Finding that in order to get the picture 'correct' at A2, a lot of exaggeration in feeling that the clubhead is outside the hands is needed. Glad I can work on this in slo-mo in the back yard!

Chris.:roll:

4/8:  20 mins. long sets of conditioning drills w/OW.  Whew!  5 mins. wall drills w/Momentus (slo-mo full swings).  Finished with 5 mins. w/full swings w/Momentus.  
Later this evening: 15 mins. putting into the ol' ball-returning putting tray.

4/8: 10 minutes of slow-motion practice swings with metronome app. Then another 10 minutes hitting balls to targets with 50-75% swing.

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

8/4/17 - A very early morning range session. Couldn't see where the balls were going so it was a perfect time to work on the swing! Backswing positions (particular focus of not fanning left arm in takeaway) are getting there, although I'm still overbalancing a tad on the follow-through. Loads more slow-mo work to do over the course of the week though; this piece is a real killer for me...

Note: This thread is 2545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!