IGNORED

Lexi Thompson's 4 Stroke Penalty at the ANA

dennyjones
Note:Β This thread is 2119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

This might serve to speed up the simplification of the rules. Even the big names in golf are not leaving this alone. Twitter is on fire tonight.Β 

- Mark

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The penalty was real?

This is one reason golf LPGA and PGA are so stupid.

If they choose to enforce rulings in this manner what's to stop players from reviewing other players rounds after the fact and finding infractions?

IF they are going to pull this crap they need close up had camera on every players every move of every tournament!

Where is the line drawn?

At bare minimum it should be when the players card is accepted in the scorers tent AT MINIMUM. Β Even that's not enough because not every players every shot is filmed so it's unfair. Β 

IMO you call the penalty when it happens or you don't call it.Β 

The method they use now is colossally stupid.

Ive seen this crap on PGA and LPGA now and I am not an LPGA fan! Β This was a major!

Didnt they actually come to DJ in a major and inform him he MAY OR MAY NOT be assessed a penalty?!

To me once the shot has been played it's done. Β PERIOD.

Worst management bodies of any sport LPGA and PGA.

Β 

If this type of rule enforcement was allowed in any other major sport there would be riots.

Penalty of four on a tap in. Β 

Assessed after LPGA official scorers had accepted Alexis card for the round.

Β 

Really, Β this goes to show that the people in charge of golf are totally clueless. Β Whoever made the decision should be banned from the game.

Β 

Edited by Jack Watson
  • Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Strong. Β C'mon G.

I wasn't meaning to imply they were or weren't similar, just sharing itΒ without comment because I assumed it was what @YukariΒ was talking about.

I agree with most that this whole thing just stinks.

I am not saying I do not respect the rules as I understand them which is not well, Β but if your officiating of your sport includes tv viewers then you have a HUGE problem

Let's just have a poll online to decide a major what's the difference?

Β 

Two of the shots were assessed due to signing a wrong card when the player had not been informed of a penalty call?

Β 

WTFΒ 

WTF

WTF

WTF

WTF

I think Lexi should get a lawyer she deserves the money.

• Upvote 2

I think the SF Giants got screwed because of incorrect ball strike calls during the 2016 playoffs.

They actually need to be replayed now.

See how ridiculous this sounds?

But I have video proof!

Lexi Thompson played great all week and lapped the field, shooting 18 under par, 4 shots clear of 2nd place. Too bad history will say this never happened.

Simple solution: Do away with the stupid policy that allows TV viewers to call or email in potential rules violations. Instead have a rules official parked in front of a TV all day during the telecasts watching for violations, if this official sees something that was missed then they can notify the tournament official and player involved and get things corrected. This all must also be done during that days play, once the sun comes up the next morning there is no going back to change something that happened during a completed round.

• Upvote 3

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no moreΒ 

Β 

I can see the LPGA at the next tournament trying to make a ruling on something and saying we need to stop the tournament a few minutes and see if we get any phone calls from tv viewers.

Β 

#LPGAWEJUSTWANTTOGETITRIGHTHELPUS

I can see the LPGA at the next tournament trying to make a ruling on something and saying we need to stop the tournament a few minutes and see if we get any phone calls from tv viewers. Β Any smart person managing any other major sport would nicely say thanks for the phone call hang up and never think of it again.

Β 

#LPGAWEJUSTWANTTOGETITRIGHTHELPUS

• Upvote 1

I'd like to know what viewers who call rules officials and report a possible violation are thinking. Β Are they doing it for attention? Β Does it make them feel important? Β What makes them think it's their responsibility to report an infraction and change the results? Β It's bad enough to call in the first place, but to call the next day?Β 

If there is anyone here who has called tournament officials to report a rules violation, I would be interested in hearing what their reasoning is for doing so.

• Upvote 4

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS ProtoΒ 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ originalΒ Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Trigger warning: Thems the rules. Don't kill me for saying it. But she didn't replace her ball correctly. Therefore 2 strokes, plus signing for an incorrect card, two more strokes. Fair. To quote Shooter McGavin, "this is golf."Β 

Β 

OK, now that I got that ^^^ awful paragraph out of the way, how brutal for Lexi to lose a major this way! They assessed the penalty soooooo late. Ugh. So gutted as a fan of hers. Like everyone else I'm pretty bitter about this. They're going to have to take a serious look I think at whether penalties should be assessed this late in the game. Maybe once the next round starts, that's the cut off for assessing penalties from previous rounds. I realize golf is held to a different standard than other sports, and I'm more than fine with that, but there comes a point where we don't necessarily want to piss off our entire fan base with a ruling, you know?

• Upvote 2

Constantine

What a cluster truck. Call the violation on that hole and move on or do nothing.Β Pretty soon viewers will call in and back it up with edited/shopped video " evidence". This is a real slippery slope for the powers that be are treading

• Upvote 3

I'm done with the LPGA . Β Boneheads screwed up a major last year and even WORSE this year...the infraction was from the day before...I'm done.Β 

• Upvote 1

I cannot think of another sport that assesses a penalty after the officials/referees/umpires/lines person/etc. missed a call. Β In every other sport where a call is missed there may or may not be an acknowledgement of the error and usually a canned statement that officials sometime miss a play. Β IΒ realize the rules, but the officials missed it, it should be on them.

For a slow moving sport that is trying to attract more viewers/participants, especially younger ones, this just adds another nail to the coffin.

John

• Upvote 3

• Administrator

So predictable, these responses…

Lexi breached the rules. She would have been DQed not too long ago, so a four-stroke penalty is already a kinder, gentler rule.

Also, the tournament wasn't over. Had someone noticed afterΒ the close of the tournament, well, Lexi would be dealing with calls that she won unfairly, and should give back the trophy or whatever… Just because rounds are going on doesn't mean you can't assess a penalty the instant they sign their card. The time ends when the tournament is finished. Not before then.

Players (Paula Creamer, for example) have DQed themselves inΒ the past when they realized they breached a rule… even after the tournament was finalized.

Pretty simple and straightforward.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

It's golf. Β It's perfectly legal to have a team of people move a loose impediment for you. Β It's golf themsΒ the rules...idiotic

Β 

Edited by Jack Watson
  • Upvote 2

There was a foul on North Carolina last night late in the game that didn't get called at the time that could have effected the outcome of the game, as a viewer can I call in Monday night, DURING THE NEXT ROUND and have the replay officials go back and review the non-call and penalize North Carolina?

• Upvote 4

Note:Β This thread is 2119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!