IGNORED

Lexi Thompson's 4 Stroke Penalty at the ANA

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 2126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, HitAndGiggle said:

There's no dichotomy. My lesson to my boy would be to pay very close attention to the rules because anybody can call you on this...be it your opponent's dad, whatever.

The instructors who my son assists in their golf lessons say it's a matter of integrity that you follow all the rules not so much because you're afraid of being caught.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Yukari said:

It just baffles me how some people defend Lexi who were outraged when it occurred here:

Some like @Shorty have been consistent in their view and I commend them for that.  But others have basically called for harsher penalty for Chella Choi but have sympathy for Lexi.  You guys, and you know who you are, should really look deeply into your racial bias.

If a rule is broken, it should equally apply to all.  Why some people are defending this rule violation is beyond me.  You can express your opinion that the rule itself is bad, but to defend Lexi just doesn't make sense IMHO.

All you need to tell the difference between that case and this case is the pictures in the OP from that thread. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Rory had some good comments today on the whole matter. Good to hear him come down on those who call in rule infractions from home. Basically said it's not their job to wear striped shirts and be referees. Let the officials do their job. Also said that not everyone re-marks the ball in the same exact spot. The ball is always going to be a fraction off and all these people calling in are hurting the game of golf.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Yukari said:

He called in Tiger's drop during the Masters. 

Eger described the drop to Bradley. Their call ended, and Eger sent Bradley a text message about it as well.

Bradley immediately called Ridley and Russell, the veteran PGA Tour administrator who is on the three-man Masters competition committee that is chaired by Ridley, a former U.S. Amateur champion and USGA president. Bradley also forwarded Eger's text to Russell and Ridley. In his text, Eger wrote that Woods "didn't appear to play by Rule 26-1-a." He wrote that he "appeared to be 3-4 feet back" from his divot mark.

Bradley forwarded Eger's text message at 6:59 p.m.

Tiger was still on the course.

2 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Rory had some good comments today on the whole matter. Good to hear him come down on those who call in rule infractions from home. Basically said it's not their job to wear striped shirts and be referees. Let the officials do their job. Also said that not everyone re-marks the ball in the same exact spot. The ball is always going to be a fraction off and all these people calling in are hurting the game of golf.

That is Rory's opinion. I don't imagine that the players, especially those who are televised more than others, enjoy the additional scrutiny. Being off a fraction is one thing. Replacing completely on the other side of the marker is another. Perhaps @iacas should send Lexi a handy dandy TST ball marker that makes it easy to replace your ball in the exact same spot. 

- Shane

1 hour ago, HitAndGiggle said:

She gained no advantage from that small blip, obviously didn't even remember it - yet it cost her. What's to like about that? 

Many have already commented on the advantage she may have gained, as courtesy to all those posting why not read what has been pointed out before you post and if you believe their points are invalid, give reasons.

Obviously didn't remember it? maybe, two explanations:

1. either she is so ignorant of the requirements that she thinks putting the ball down in a different spot is ok and does it all the time and was overcome with grief with having made the mistake and/or the late notice

2. knew that she had done it and feigned ignorance of the matter when being told about it, along with the real  grief that she had been caught out

other options, I'm listening

• Upvote 1

All of you guys that agree with me and the 95% others that saw the BS that happened sunday can do something to fix all of this. Find out the email or number that this weasel called to say lexi misplaced ball and all of us start emailing about multiple players and I guarantee they will get  tired of looking and will put end to this nonsense.Theres no way they look at everything people call in. I dont know about all tvs but I didnt know you can zoom in on tvs. The only way you could see is zoomed in. Makes me wonder if this was found by media or someone onsite to make tourny close because lexi was running away with tourny. I hate to get really strict about rules because I think they are way to strict over small stuff but everytime someone picks up a  ball to mark they cannot place that ball exactly on the exact blades of grass that it was touching.It about close as possible to spot.Theres not one golfer that has put ball on the exact blades of grass everytime. We should all be assessed 4strokes every round we play.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, jamo said:

All you need to tell the difference between that case and this case is the pictures in the OP from that thread. 

Not trying to be a jerk but are we all looking at the same thing?  She (Lexi) picked the ball up and immediately moved it over - it's not even like she stood up with it. When she initially puts the marker down, it is totally obscured by the ball - then when she replaces the ball a moment later you can see most of the marker.  It looks like she moved it about the same amount as Chella Choi to me.

• Upvote 1

I'd just like the playing field to be level - like the rules to be applied evenly. You know - the same level of scrutiny for all players. If you can't do that, don't allow phone-ins. Sure, "life isn't fair and neither is golf" but golf isn't life. It's a game. 

And how about 

3. She thought she had put the ball down in the same spot, and was overcome with grief that she made the mistake and was upset about the late notice. 

No one is even considering giving the person the benefit of the doubt. This is validating my dislike for people.

• Upvote 3

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The officials can't do this job, too many players to watch and the officials are not standing on the green watching the ball marks from 3 feet away, which is what they would have to do to get a look like the zoom cameras.

And Rory is nuts implying players mark and move their balls like Lexi did, they don't want the infraction and you have to intentionally move it that far, it's not just a mistake, it it were just a little bit we wouldn't be talking about this.

Edited by MrDC

20 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

3. She thought she had put the ball down in the same spot, and was overcome with grief that she made the mistake and was upset about the late notice. 

No one is even considering giving the person the benefit of the doubt. This is validating my dislike for people.

Actually, you have a lot of people that agree with you on that.

19 minutes ago, MrDC said:

And Rory is nuts implying players mark and move their balls like Lexi did, they don't want the infraction and you have to intentionally move it that far, it's not just a mistake, it it were just a little bit we wouldn't be talking about this.

He has company: http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/19077633/phil-mickelson-says-lexi-thompson-awarded-ana-inspiration-trophy

"I know a number of guys on (The PGA Tour) that are loose with how they mark the ball and have not been called on it,'' Mickelson said. "They will move the ball two, three inches in front of their mark, and this is an intentional way to get it out of any type of impression and so forth and I think that kind of stuff needs to stop.

"But I think it should be handled within the tour. I think that the tour should go to those players and say, "Look, we've noticed you've been a little lax in how precise you've been in marking the ball. We'd like you to be a little bit better at it,'' and see if that doesn't just kind of fix the thing.

"Because we've all marked the ball imprecisely, especially when you're standing on the side of the ball like she was and not directly behind the ball, in line with the hole, where it's easy to draw a line.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

He has company: http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/19077633/phil-mickelson-says-lexi-thompson-awarded-ana-inspiration-trophy

Thats why I love Phil.  Hes not afraid to stand up for whats right. Anyone who thinks what lexi did was worthy of 4 f......g strokes I admire you for being perfect. Unfortunately I cant walk on water but thats ok cause im human.

2 hours ago, Shorty said:

Are you serious? - she remarked her ball almost an inch. This is not "opinion" this is verifiable fact by simply observing the video. The penalty, although bad for her is entirely justifiable. In fact, she's probably lucky not to have been sanctioned for cheating. The upside is that you might not see too much of this in the future.

I have watched the video and agree that it appears that she did not remark her ball exactly, but the video is inconclusive.  That argument could be made by just about anybody.  It was another screw up by the powers that be.  Did the rules committee review every contestant every time they put their ball back in play.  I say it was a bad call by the rules committee and distracts from the game.

15 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I bet Phil and a LOT of others will be taking a LOT of care in their ball marking this week!

;-) 

• Upvote 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

5 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

"I know a number of guys on (The PGA Tour) that are loose with how they mark the ball and have not been called on it,'' Mickelson said. "They will move the ball two, three inches in front of their mark, and this is an intentional way to get it out of any type of impression and so forth and I think that kind of stuff needs to stop.

So there is part of the problem, acknowledges that these infringements are not unknown but no-one has the guts to call any-one out?

They are on the green for 18 holes with someone and will get a better look than any official

That is unforgiveable in pro golf where the total score matters and there are no handicaps.

At club golf level, I take the easy option and don't make much fuss about rule violations(unless its blatant foot wedges) but "relax" that the cheat factor has been incorporated into their artificially lower handicap that then puts the competition back on a more level playing field.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

It really isn't inconclusive at all. The ball moved at least 0.7".

Seriously, almost nobody thinks she didn't play from a wrong place.

It is not possible to determine that she move her ball 0.7" from that video.  It is speculation.  Did they review every player, every time.  If not then the rules are being administered unfairly.  I am tired of television replays putting the game in jeopardy.  

That infraction is not worthy of DQ or 4 stroke penalty. It should have been 2 stroke penalty.  LPGA was late in assessing that ruling.  What a joke tour 

17 minutes ago, Lastpick said:

It is not possible to determine that she move her ball 0.7" from that video.  It is speculation.  Did they review every player, every time.  If not then the rules are being administered unfairly.  I am tired of television replays putting the game in jeopardy.  

See below

19 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't think so.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-03%20at%2011.45.

A golf ball is 1.68 inches. That's about 340px in the image above. Lexi's ball moves from 340 to 480px, a move of 140px.

140/340*1.68 = 0.7". Closer to 3/4".

And that's just in two dimensions. It could be a bit more than 0.7".

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2126 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!