IGNORED

Lexi Thompson's 4 Stroke Penalty at the ANA

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, 1badbadger said:

Actually @DaveP043 or @iacas, if I understand correctly, the mark doesn't have to be placed behind the ball at all...technically, it could be placed on the side, correct?

Yeah but when he goes back to place ball id imagine he would place ball directly in front of marker. I wonder  if lexi had picked up ball and stood up to clean ball like as if she was waiting to putt out instead of just lifting few inches staying in same view with marker would there had been an issue.

23 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

Just alittle off topic but I just saw Snedeker kinda drop his marker down behind ball. It would be interesting to know if it was placed exactly behind ball. I have  no idea how I could see it again plus zoom in to see plus they didnt show him put ball back down to putt out.

I saw Bubba place a marker from the side too. They didn't show him go back and place the ball. You'll think he'd be more careful. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

I saw Bubba place a marker from the side too. They didn't show him go back and place the ball. You'll think he'd be more careful. 

Knowing Bubba he'd thrive on the controversy. 

- Mark

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

Actually @DaveP043 or @iacas, if I understand correctly, the mark doesn't have to be placed behind the ball at all...technically, it could be placed on the side, correct?

That's what we said. 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

made me realize how badly her ball mark was initially placed...everyone is talking about how she replaced the ball incorrectly (which she did) but not much has been made of the fact that her marker was not placed correctly to start with.   

Not a whole lot has been made about it because there was no incorrect placement of the marker to start with, the only requirement is that a marker is used to indicate the position of the ball and the ball is placed back there, it can be to the side etc. 

Watch the video again, her head/eyes never move from when she marks the ball, lifts it an inch of the ground and puts it down again in a location at least 3/4 of an inch away - not even giving a glance at the hole.   There was no tangible excuse for not putting the ball back in its exact spot in relation to the location of the marker as nothing had changed in her frame of reference. 

This was easily seen from a camera that would have had a viewing angle of at least 70 degrees from the vertical, imagine what that would look like if you were looking straight down on top of it...........blatant.

1 hour ago, sac1 said:

Not a whole lot has been made about it because there was no incorrect placement of the marker to start with, the only requirement is that a marker is used to indicate the position of the ball and the ball is placed back there, it can be to the side etc. 

Watch the video again, her head/eyes never move from when she marks the ball, lifts it an inch of the ground and puts it down again in a location at least 3/4 of an inch away - not even giving a glance at the hole.   There was no tangible excuse for not putting the ball back in its exact spot in relation to the location of the marker as nothing had changed in her frame of reference. 

This was easily seen from a camera that would have had a viewing angle of at least 70 degrees from the vertical, imagine what that would look like if you were looking straight down on top of it...........blatant.

She was looking at her ball, not the hole. She picked the ball up to spin it. Watch the video again.

1 minute ago, RH31 said:

She was looking at her ball, not the hole. She picked the ball up to spin it. Watch the video again.

Suggest you read my comments again, and this bit "not even giving a glance at the hole".

I don't know if you are defending her actions or what, but if you have any plausible explanation on how anyone could pick up a ball with a marker right next to it and put it down 3/4 inch away in a matter of seconds without changing their frame of reference to anything(head doesn't move) then bring it on.

15 minutes ago, RH31 said:

10 minutes ago, sac1 said:

Suggest you read my comments again, and this bit "not even giving a glance at the hole".

I don't know if you are defending her actions or what, but if you have any plausible explanation on how anyone could pick up a ball with a marker right next to it and put it down 3/4 inch away in a matter of seconds without changing their frame of reference to anything(head doesn't move) then bring it on.

Dude, calm down...you are both actually saying the same thing, I just think he misread your last post.  You are both saying she never looked at the hole, and continued to look at her ball and ball mark, and there is no good reason for where she replaced the ball.  I appreciate your passion, but damn, it's like you're looking for someone to fight with.

• Upvote 2

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

27 minutes ago, sac1 said:

I'm referring to what you said about just picking it up and putting it right back down, without even looking at the hole. Blatant, as you said.

You and other posters have made the same comment about how she just picks it up, barely picks it up, only picks it up to move in an inch offline on purpose  etc.,

My point is this, the only reason she picked it up is to spin it so that the look of the ball is the same to her as it is on any other putt. That's why she stopped, didn't tap it in. It's a routine thing that some players stick to.

I'm not saying she didn't replace it in the wrong spot.

I disagree with whoever thinks she just picked it up to purposely move it ....or it blatantly cheat.

10 minutes ago, RH31 said:

I'm referring to what you said about just picking it up and putting it right back down, without even looking at the hole. Blatant, as you said.

You and other posters have made the same comment about how she just picks it up, barely picks it up, only picks it up to move in an inch offline on purpose  etc.,

My point is this, the only reason she picked it up is to spin it so that the look of the ball is the same to her as it is on any other putt. That's why she stopped, didn't tap it in. It's a routine thing that some players stick to.

I

If you are going to refer to what "I" said, at least pay the courtesy of reading the posts I've written in this thread about it, and as a courtesy to everyone if you aren't going to read the prior posts before posting in a "discussion forum" perhaps just keep to things like twitter.

see my first post where I "entertain" other rationale for picking up the ball

Edited by sac1

One quick note about whoever sent the email. I think for those that wanted Lexi to win it's easy to characterize the person as some schmuck in his underwear eating Cheetos. Just as I did initially. We really don't know who it was, heck it could have been Lexi's playing partner. Because the information of who to call or email isn't easily available I suspect it may have been someone more directly involved with the tournament. 

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

10 hours ago, sac1 said:

If you are going to refer to what "I" said, at least pay the courtesy of reading the posts I've written in this thread about it, and as a courtesy to everyone if you aren't going to read the prior posts before posting in a "discussion forum" perhaps just keep to things like twitter.

see my first post where I "entertain" other rationale for picking up the ball

I'll post where I want to post and read what I want to read.

If you are going to get so upset maybe you should stick to twitter.

6 hours ago, mvmac said:

One quick note about whoever sent the email. I think for those that wanted Lexi to win it's easy to characterize the person as some schmuck in his underwear eating Cheetos. Just as I did initially. We really don't know who it was, heck it could have been Lexi's playing partner. Because the information of who to call or email isn't easily available I suspect it may have been someone more directly involved with the tournament. 

That's an interesting theory and one that I thought of yesterday.   It could have been one of her fellow golfers who has seen her doing this before, and arranged with someone to watch the telecast and try to catch it on video.  Very smart. 

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

That's an interesting theory and one that I thought of yesterday.   It could have been one of her fellow golfers who has seen her doing this before, and arranged with someone to watch the telecast and try to catch it on video.  Very smart. 

And since it happened on the 17th green, there would have been very little time for someone to help her avoid the wrong scorecard penalty.

Even if they wanted to help her the most.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

Maybe. Although I would think a player or someone connected with the tournament would have notified officials much sooner, like well before the start of round 4 play. LPGA wasn't notified until Sunday afternoon so you'd think players are warming up or already on the course. Those connected are performing whatever tournament duties.

The job of notifying the tour could've been delegated to some helper.....

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

And since it happened on the 17th green, there would have been very little time for someone to help her avoid the wrong scorecard penalty.

Even if they wanted to help her the most.

I wasn't going quite that deep.  I was thinking that maybe one of her fellow pros, any of maybe 100 different players, could have seen her do that in other tournaments and arranged for someone to try to catch her on video because they were irritated by her doing that and wanted her to get caught. 

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

I wasn't going quite that deep.  I was thinking that maybe one of her fellow pros, any of maybe 100 different players, could have seen her do that in other tournaments and arranged for someone to try to catch her on video because they were irritated by her doing that and wanted her to get caught. 

Maybe.

Point is… none of us know who emailed. Or why.

Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!