IGNORED

challenges of senior golfers

luggage
Note: This thread is 2374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks Buckeyebowman and NJpatbee!  I find I hit the 3 and 4 hybrid irons much better than the true iron counterparts. Helped me take a little of my GHIN. I have a 5 MX Fli-Hi with my alternate set of MX 100's. I am considering putting it in the bag.  I kept telling myself I was hitting 5 iron OK, but range work today said otherwise.

On clubs and distances...I have a set of irons with lightweight Nippon one-soft stepped; another with Aldila graphite one-soft-stepped; and my current irons with Project X graphite R flex (they play softer). I found the last to be pretty consistent for me. I don't hit ANYTHING as far as I used to but...I know within known tolerances how far I hit my clubs. Something I have worked hard on.

Anyway, just rambling. My best wishes to all other seniors and super-seniors who love the game as I surely do. -Marv

• Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

a little off topic....what ages are seniors and super-seniors?

Gosh, I don't know...Just an expression I've heard. There are some guys 75-80 around here who call themselves super-seniors; I think there is a category like that for the City men's associations. . I've always thought of "seniors" as people in their 60's until I passed that mark. Now its 60's and 70's I imagine. But I see Senior Amateur Competition and the Champions Tour saying it's age 50. There probably is a definition. I don't know it and I like it to be a moving target as I get older. Regards, -Marv

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:44 AM, dennyjones said:

I think it is different depending on where you play. usually around here seniors are 50-70 years of age. Super seniors 70 and up. But I also see some tournaments where it is 75 and up. On another note. I play with a gentleman who is 85 years young. he plays three times a week. Tuesday and Wednesday he plays in local senior tournaments and Friday he plays in our foursome. There was a piece in the paper about him a few weeks ago. It seems last year he had all twenty scores on his handicap card below his age and 2/3 of them were in tournaments. He has lost about 20 or more yards off the tee in the last ten years, but his drivers are in the fairway and his short game and putting is excellent. He also shot a 72 in one of the tournaments last month. 13 strokes below his age. So for those of us who are getting old, there is still golf left in us if we try hard enough.  

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 5:44 AM, dennyjones said:

In my men's club, senior is 50, and master senior is 62.  We have club championship tournaments for both categories, and many of us old farts play in both, as well as the regular club championship.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

3 hours ago, deadon500 said:

Our club has 4 tees -- black= blue=white=red  senior is 55 to 69  white tee 70 and up red seems to work well .

Not sure they tea box depends upon age. But some groups, including one of mine, seem to base it on age. -Marv 

On 9/14/2017 at 12:44 PM, Fourputt said:

In my men's club, senior is 50, and master senior is 62.  We have club championship tournaments for both categories, and many of us old farts play in both, as well as the regular club championship.

My club it's 55.  Super senior is 70.

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have several lines of thought regarding seniors. (I am 75 btw).

The first regarding tees. I feel anyone Senior or not, should play from the tees that feel most comfortable and more importantly suit their game. That does not always mean moving up, as for many, playing from a longer set of tees, actually makes it easier owing to they can hit to spots that are relatively free of trouble even if it means a longer approach. 

Secondly, the "stigma" of moving up is hard to overcome for some. It is becoming more and more common place however.

My outlook may be a bit jaded, as I have never really been a fan of clubs, teams, or any competition. Not to say I have not competed, its just that I enjoy solo rounds and being paired with strangers with the opportunity to meet new friends.

• Thumbs Up 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

4 hours ago, Hacker James said:

Secondly, the "stigma" of moving up is hard to overcome for some. It is becoming more and more common place however.

At age 72 next month, and having a swing speed resembling that of a mosquito, I simply do not wish to slug my way around a 6400 yard course, trying to get on in 3 or 4 and depending on one putts to save a semblance of a score. I think I posted elsewhere that I re-read the USGA's guidelines for "Play It Forward" not long ago. Whether to play a different tee (thus a shorter or longer course), they say, should be based on average length of your drive.

Out-flanking my ego, I bit the bullet a month or so ago, and started finding the tees that "fit" my average drives. One of our local courses even offers a mix of holes from which you can play the middle or the forward senior tees and achieve a medium-length course. Slope and course rating for the mix are provided. I plan to continue this pattern of play for the foreseeable future. -Marv

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd like to get some input from younger and senior golfers.  I have been very fortunate in the past couple of years.  I have been able to go back to my irons rather than high lofted woods.  No real problem from a physical point of view. However, recently I found a putter that I really like (older one 2007).  It's a 1/2 Wacky-E by ping.  Found it on Ebay and bought it.  It came with a 30" shaft.  I love the putter but had to extend the length about 1 1/2".  I decided to commit some real time on the putting green about an hour.  Since my length at 74 yrs old is not what it use to be my short game is more critical.  I was on the green for about 30 minutes and my lower back began to ache.  Has any of your younger guys experienced pain or discomfort practicing putting for a loner period?  I'm of the opinion that I need to strengthen my lower back muscles.  No problem putting during a normal round but a concentrated hour or longer appears to be a real challenge.  I just have always believed in practice, practice, practice.  Comments appreciated.

5 hours ago, luggage said:

I was on the green for about 30 minutes and my lower back began to ache. 

Yes...This happens to me. I have a long time bad back. I had surgery a little less than a year ago. I do stretch and try to work on the core muscles, but at 72, that's less effective. So...I bought a good back brace to wear under my shirt (OK for full swings too). That gives some support. Next, I don't practice more than 5-6 balls, then I sit down and think about what I'm doing. I couldn't stand 30 minutes putting, mentally or physically. Best of luck with your progress, -Marv

Being a senior depends on a lot of variables. Number one is how much the course charges you to play. You might be a senior if you get a reduced rate. Congrats! Most courses around here use 60 as the age.

Even if you're not 60, you might be a senior if you feel the need to move up a tee. My buddy's Son constantly rails at us that we're still plenty long enough to play the whites. Well, that depends on the course!

You might be a senior if you find yourself pulling the 3 wood for your approach shot on any par 4 400 yards or longer!

You might be a senior if you find you've gotten the yips!

This is starting to sound like a Jeff Foxworthy routine!

You might be a senior if...

• Like 1

Mentally I am NOT a Senior! -Marv

• Like 1

Neither am I, but I'm learning to face reality.

Your post reminds me of my Mom. When she was in he 70's she'd tell us how she'd get charging around doing housework and would end up out of breath. She said, "I know I'm over 70 in my head, but in my heart I'm still 19!"

• Like 1

At 63 I have all the same challenges others have noted. In addition, poorer eyesight has been a new challenge. I never had to play with glasses from age 10 to late 40's and then quit golf. Now at 63 and back playing golf, just seeing the ball clearly at address has been a significant issue for me. And of course corrective lenses that work at address aren't right for reading or distance vision. Anyone else?

I'm afraid between poorer vision and all the senior physical challenges, my days of consistently finding the sweet spot on my clubs are probably over. Game improvement clubs here I (reluctantly) come...

Edited by Midpack

9 hours ago, Midpack said:

Game improvement clubs here I (reluctantly) come...

Yay! We shall be LEGION!:ninja: -Marv

On 9/24/2017 at 12:22 PM, luggage said:

Has any of your younger guys experienced pain or discomfort practicing putting for a loner period?  I'm of the opinion that I need to strengthen my lower back muscles.  No problem putting during a normal round but a concentrated hour or longer appears to be a real challenge.  I just have always believed in practice, practice, practice.  Comments appreciated.

If I spend significant time putting, my lower back at the belt level starts to ache.   I've just recently tried to stand taller when I'm putting and it has seemed to help.   I, like you, don't have issues when playing but the extended time trying to hit many putts causes discomfort.  

I turned 60 last March but feel like I'm in my 30s most days.  I swear I could run faster than the kid next door butttttttt.............earth to Jones.....come in...

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!