IGNORED

How to Improve Health With the Help of Exercise

Mikecoulson
Note: This thread is 2025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Exercise + healthier eating habits.

Re: exercise, what worked for me was finding exercise that I enjoyed.  For several years I got up early every morning and ran 2+ miles, but I came to loathe it (and it isn't so good on the joints), so i became demotivated.  Same with gym work.  But I love to swim, so I joined the local YMCA and began swimming interval sprints on my lunch hour.  Enjoyed my every moment in the pool and no pain/soreness.  Result was being able to maintain it, and my health/fitness improving substantially.

Our Y's pool closed a couple of years back, so I joined a local CC here in town, and golf (and golf practice/conditioning activity) is now 90% of my "gym", though I play tennis at the CC too (clay courts are much better on the joints, too).  The calorie burn when walking/carrying when you play golf will surprise you.  Several legitimate studies out there that estimate 1600-1800 calories walking/carrying for 18 regulation sized holes.  And you're doing something you love.  Can't beat it.

Of course healthier eating is the equally important other half.  Use common sense.  Yeah, definitely cut the sugars, processed crap, fried stuff, etc.  But really it's about portion control and moderation, so you don't have to eliminate everything you enjoy, just practice those two tenets when indulging.  And:  drink water w/meals...heck, carry it around w/you everywhere.

Best of luck to you.

BamaWade

• Upvote 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, No Mulligans said:

Drugs... does that include alchohol?

Of course not. Stupid modern-day education screwing up our definitions for stuff.

I'm talking about the kind you snort or inject in your arm, 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Of course not. Stupid modern-day education screwing up our definitions for stuff.

But not Smarties, right?

10 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

But not Smarties, right?

All right. I'm no doctor. 

I'll assume you aren't talking about the sort that come in rolls from New Jersey.

19 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

When my kid was in early grade school, he turned in a paper that read:

"My Mom takes drugs. My dad takes drugs sometimes".

He wrote that because at the time, I would occasionally smoke a cigar or have a beer. Not sure why we never got a visit from Social Services.

On 4/6/2017 at 8:03 AM, Mikecoulson said:

Hello guys! Anyone who know about how to improve the health. Kindly share your views.

I think you know better than to go by what a bunch of non-healthcare professionals say, but I'll give you a serious replay.

At my age (56), light weightlifting is beneficial to avoiding or healing aches and pains. I only believe this based on anecdotal evidence.

I also believe stretching helps. I'd take yoga but I'm too self conscious of how I look in a unitard.

• Upvote 2

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2017 at 6:27 AM, JonMA1 said:

When my kid was in early grade school, he turned in a paper that read:

"My Mom takes drugs. My dad takes drugs sometimes".

He wrote that because at the time, I would occasionally smoke a cigar or have a beer. Not sure why we never got a visit from Social Services.

I think you know better than to go by what a bunch of non-healthcare professionals say, but I'll give you a serious replay.

At my age (56), light weightlifting is beneficial to avoiding or healing aches and pains. I only believe this based on anecdotal evidence.

I also believe stretching helps. I'd take yoga but I'm too self conscious of how I look in a unitard.

No guy should ever wear a unitard. Nor should any women over 35. :whistle:

seriously, this seems like trolling. But in case you are not, go talk to your doctor first before starting any excercise. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, Yukari said:

No guy should ever wear a unitard. Nor should any women over 35. :whistle:

seriously, this seems like trolling. But in case you are not, go talk to your doctor first before starting any excercise. 

Please tell me you knew I was joking.

Jon

8 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Please tell me you knew I was joking.

But of course.

Don

On 4/6/2017 at 8:57 AM, BamaWade said:

Exercise + healthier eating habits.

Re: exercise, what worked for me was finding exercise that I enjoyed.  For several years I got up early every morning and ran 2+ miles, but I came to loathe it (and it isn't so good on the joints), so i became demotivated.  Same with gym work.  But I love to swim, so I joined the local YMCA and began swimming interval sprints on my lunch hour.  Enjoyed my every moment in the pool and no pain/soreness.  Result was being able to maintain it, and my health/fitness improving substantially.

Our Y's pool closed a couple of years back, so I joined a local CC here in town, and golf (and golf practice/conditioning activity) is now 90% of my "gym", though I play tennis at the CC too (clay courts are much better on the joints, too).  The calorie burn when walking/carrying when you play golf will surprise you.  Several legitimate studies out there that estimate 1600-1800 calories walking/carrying for 18 regulation sized holes.  And you're doing something you love.  Can't beat it.

Of course healthier eating is the equally important other half.  Use common sense.  Yeah, definitely cut the sugars, processed crap, fried stuff, etc.  But really it's about portion control and moderation, so you don't have to eliminate everything you enjoy, just practice those two tenets when indulging.  And:  drink water w/meals...heck, carry it around w/you everywhere.

Best of luck to you.

BamaWade

100% this. I absolutely hate working out/running/etc. I however love competition. Many years ago at the ripe old age of 30 I took up ice hockey to lose weight. I had never been on ice skates before in my life (it looked like fun and how hard can it be right?). I loved every minute of it. If you want to lose a good chunk of weight and get in pretty good cardio shape take up ice hockey (you can burn up to 800 calories/hour). If a born and bred Texan can take it up later in life and do OK at it anyone can.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's complicated, huh? So much of it is age-dependent. At 50 now I'm in pain every day. That's a factor, too. How much tread is left in your joints? That varies for all of us based on what we did earlier in life, and should be considered when selecting an activity now.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

On 4/17/2017 at 2:27 PM, Architex said:

100% this. I absolutely hate working out/running/etc. I however love competition. Many years ago at the ripe old age of 30 I took up ice hockey to lose weight. I had never been on ice skates before in my life (it looked like fun and how hard can it be right?). I loved every minute of it. If you want to lose a good chunk of weight and get in pretty good cardio shape take up ice hockey (you can burn up to 800 calories/hour). If a born and bred Texan can take it up later in life and do OK at it anyone can.

It's a gasser, That's for sure. That's pretty cool you were able to find a group to break in with. 

I occasionally still have thoughts about trying to get into some kind of shape and trying to play again. My hometown has a relatively friendly drop-in Sunday mornings. At 40 and probably 30-40 lbs overweight, I've got some work to do before playing would be a good idea. 

Eating habits are #1. Exercise comes second yet is as important if that makes sense. I went from 215 to 185 with good diet and 3x a week in the gym. I got lax and it was back to  206. Got back in gear and now I'm 193 in 5 weeks. It's a lifestyle change not a temporary adjustment. Weight loss, assuming that's a big goal of the discussion, is a marathon not a sprint. Slow and steady ingrains the changes, crash programs don't work as well for most

On 5/2/2017 at 8:27 AM, chilepepper said:

Eating habits are #1. Exercise comes second yet is as important if that makes sense. I went from 215 to 185 with good diet and 3x a week in the gym. I got lax and it was back to  206. Got back in gear and now I'm 193 in 5 weeks. It's a lifestyle change not a temporary adjustment. Weight loss, assuming that's a big goal of the discussion, is a marathon not a sprint. Slow and steady ingrains the changes, crash programs don't work as well for most

+1.  90% of your weight/health is determined by what and how much you eat.  Exercise can only do so much.  Cut out all that processed food, especially simple carbohydrates.  That alone should improve your health significantly.

Don

12 minutes ago, Yukari said:

+1.  90% of your weight/health is determined by what and how much you eat.  Exercise can only do so much.  Cut out all that processed food, especially simple carbohydrates.  That alone should improve your health significantly.

I disagree, it is not necessary to cut out all processed food or simple carbs to lose weight. You need to burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. While that is a very general simplification of it, it is simply not a requirement to cut out processed food and simple carbs in order to lose weight. It is entirely possible to gain weight without eating processed foods and simple carbs.

That being said, typically cutting out processed foods is one thing people can do to help put themselves in a caloric deficit, but there are numerous other things that can help as well. I recommend tracking your weight and your caloric intake for a few weeks until you can determine a baseline. MyFitnessPal is a great app that will help you keep track of what you eat throughout the day. 

I have lost 10 lbs over the past 2 months by simply remaining in a caloric deficit. I still eat pizza, hot pockets, potato chips, etc. but at the end of the day I am still burning more calories than I am consuming, so I have lost weight.

Exercise can help increase the amount of calories that you burn. Personally i prefer lifting weights, but there are plenty of other methods that burn calories as well (hiking, swimming, running, cycling, etc.) 

Also, walking while golfing burns alot of calories. I try to walk about half of the rounds I play mainly because it is great exercise!

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

7 hours ago, klineka said:

I disagree, it is not necessary to cut out all processed food or simple carbs to lose weight. You need to burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight. While that is a very general simplification of it, it is simply not a requirement to cut out processed food and simple carbs in order to lose weight. It is entirely possible to gain weight without eating processed foods and simple carbs.

That being said, typically cutting out processed foods is one thing people can do to help put themselves in a caloric deficit, but there are numerous other things that can help as well. I recommend tracking your weight and your caloric intake for a few weeks until you can determine a baseline. MyFitnessPal is a great app that will help you keep track of what you eat throughout the day. 

I have lost 10 lbs over the past 2 months by simply remaining in a caloric deficit. I still eat pizza, hot pockets, potato chips, etc. but at the end of the day I am still burning more calories than I am consuming, so I have lost weight.

Exercise can help increase the amount of calories that you burn. Personally i prefer lifting weights, but there are plenty of other methods that burn calories as well (hiking, swimming, running, cycling, etc.) 

Also, walking while golfing burns alot of calories. I try to walk about half of the rounds I play mainly because it is great exercise!

I think you have misread or mis-interpreted what I wrote.

Don

Note: This thread is 2025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!