Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Single Length Irons Guy

Do you think that PGA Tour golfers during an opening round of a tournament would rather be -1 after two holes or -1 after nine holes?

Note: This thread is 809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you think that PGA Tour golfers during an opening round of a tournament would rather be -1 after two holes or -1 after nine holes?  

11 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you think that PGA Tour golfers during an opening round of a tournament would rather be -1 after two holes or -1 after nine holes?

    • -1 after two holes
      7
    • -1 after nine holes
      4
  2. 2. If a PGA Tour golfer is -1 after 9 holes, what do you think his chances are that he will finish at even par or better?

    • 10%
      0
    • 25%
      0
    • 33%
      1
    • 50%
      6
    • 66%
      4
    • 90%
      0


11 posts / 531 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

When looking at PGA Tour leader boards during opening rounds of tournaments where no one has finished the round yet, I often see several players at -1, some after a couple holes, some on the back nine of their round and I wonder:

Would a PGA Tour player would rather be -1 after two holes (great start) or -1 after nine holes (consistent performance with some upside potential on the back nine) during the opening round of a tournament?

What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I'd go with great start. I know when playing my own amateur game, the first 2-3 holes usually tell me what kind of round I am going to have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Too many questions to ask.

First holes easy or hard relative to the rest of the course?

U.S. Open or Bob Hope Desert Classic?

First round or last round?

Etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it depends on the tournament, and the scoring typical of it.  If he's in Phoenix or Palm Springs, where they commonly get to 15 or 20 under par at the end, to be just -1 after 9 is to be giving up ground. They need to start fast and finish fast and play well in between too.  If they're at the Masters this week, where the wind is whistling, the longer they can go and still be under par, the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

Too many questions to ask.

First holes easy or hard relative to the rest of the course?

U.S. Open or Bob Hope Desert Classic?

First round or last round?

Etc.

Good questions - to simplify:

1. Masters at Augusta

2. Opening round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Single Length Irons Guy said:

Good questions - to simplify:

1. Masters at Augusta

2. Opening round

With that established, I voted that he'd feel better after 9, and would be 50-50 to finish under par.  Obviously the weather yesterday was unusual, so I tried to remember more typical years.  I also tried to envision an "average" Masters invitee, not the favorite, and not the amateurs or those past their prime.  I still think that one under par after 9 is more desirable than one under par after just 2.  As to their chances of finishing under par, there are lots of places on the back to give up shots, in bunches at times, but there are also places to make birdies or better.  I figure 50-50 is reasonable.  I do think that the favorites, the Speiths and McElroys and DJs of the world are setting their goals to go lower.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, Single Length Irons Guy said:

Good questions - to simplify:

1. Masters at Augusta

2. Opening round

Playing single length irons, or standard set?
Normal weather at ANGC they'd want -1 after 2, wind like we've seen so far this week -1 after 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Wally Fairway said:

Playing single length irons, or standard set?
Normal weather at ANGC they'd want -1 after 2, wind like we've seen so far this week -1 after 9.

Funny! I've stated before that I think that a professional playing single length irons is at a disadvantage vs. the field (vs. being an advantage for mid- to high-handicap amateurs), but that's a discussion for another thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Single Length Irons Guy said:

Good questions - to simplify:

1. Masters at Augusta

2. Opening round

Voted -1 after 9 using this week's conditions, as it's a sustainable, yet competitive, pace. Unless you're the alien that took over Hoffman's body yesterday, -1 thru 2 most likely wasn't holding up.

44 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I do think that the favorites, the Speiths and McElroys and DJs of the world are setting their goals to go lower.  

Would love to be able to look inside their minds prior to a 1st round like yesterday in regard to strategy & expectations compared to typical years.  Using this week's weather as an example, do you think it helps level the playing field or gives premier talent even more of an advantage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, Let it Fly said:

Would love to be able to look inside their minds prior to a 1st round like yesterday in regard to strategy & expectations compared to typical years.  Using this week's weather as an example, do you think it helps level the playing field or gives premier talent even more of an advantage?

I believe that difficult conditions like these do two things.  First, the gusty winds introduce much more randomness than we normally see in US golf.  But randomness doesn't favor any particular "class" of player, so don't think it levels the field.  Good players can get the good breaks, and less-skilled players just might get the bad breaks, which could widen the gap.  But really, I think these days favor players who can handle difficult breaks emotionally.  I read somewhere that old Scots once said that golf is as much a test of character as it is a test of skill.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I believe that difficult conditions like these do two things.  First, the gusty winds introduce much more randomness than we normally see in US golf.  But randomness doesn't favor any particular "class" of player, so don't think it levels the field.  Good players can get the good breaks, and less-skilled players just might get the bad breaks, which could widen the gap.  But really, I think these days favor players who can handle difficult breaks emotionally.  I read somewhere that old Scots once said that golf is as much a test of character as it is a test of skill.  

Good point.  I didn't factor in those instances that are out of anyone's control, and that can significantly help or hurt...especially at Augusta.  I also believe you just re-defined the word "talent" in my eyes haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...